Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compensation....

Options
  • 16-05-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

I know this is really annoyin but just wondering what the exact policy is for compensation...

So I know you've to get 30-40%....and I think you have to get over 50% in another subject to compensate with it.

What I'm wondering is, is it only the marks over 50% that can be used to compensate or is it all the marks over 40%?

I got 33% in a subject at Christmas (major blank) but I got 63% in the other subject I took at Christmas. Is that already compesated or what?

I'm in 2nd year btw, so no modularisation for me til next year....

Thanks a mil in advance for your help!

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It depends on your course of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I've been told you need to get between 35 and 40 to be bumped up but that's not official. I think it's largely at the discretion of the lecturer.

Here's a link to the marks and standards info, don't know if it'll be of much use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Yeah thanks!

Just found this for Engineering

Compensation

A student may be permitted to use surplus marks in some subjects to compensate for small deficiencies in other subjects. The following rules apply:

Compensation is permitted in at most two Subjects, except as follows. In the Main examinations, if the number of Subjects in the relevant year of the degree programme is 10 or more, compensation may be permitted in three Subjects. In the supplemental examinations, if a student is being re-assessed in 10 or more Subjects, compensation may be permitted in three Subjects.

Compensation is not permitted in any Subject where the mark is less than 30% of the available marks, nor where an Inadequate Result has been declared by the Examiners.
    Surplus marks are marks above 40% of the available marks in a Subject, except in Subjects where the assessment consists entirely of Coursework, where only marks above 50% may be used as surplus.

Compensation is only permitted if the student has surplus marks totalling at least twice the total deficiency. Note that this calculation is done using marks, not percentages.

So that means I'm off the hook, for that exam anyway. I think I did okay in the rest....but what I'm just wondering about that now is...if you got 46% in something and 37% in something else would they allow you compensate?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

does that mean that if I got two compensated passes at xmas that i dont get any (or is it 1 more?) compensated pass opportunities in this exam period(since i had 12 subjects). Or is it different for us moduralised first years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Roysh, here are my results from last semester...

A+
    D
    C+
    D+
    D- (elective)
    D- (elective)

My GPA is 2.63 at the moment. Were those D-'s compensated passes?

Now, I'm doing 5 exams THIS semester... Am I still able to have 1 more fail compensated? If I fail an elective, do I still have to repeat it?

If I were to guess my results this semester, I'd say this...

B
    D-
    D+

D-
    D+

(I've done the ones in bold already)

Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

jesus use your head and go the exams office website and look at the marks and standards, its going to be more accurate than the info u get here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

I don't know about the whole modularisation lark!

Advertisement