Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's re-evaluate Arts

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

From ucd.ie-

Introduction to Canadian Studies and Introduction to Canadian Studies II
    The objective of the course is to give students the keys necessary to unlocking Canada. One way of thinking about Canada is an ongoing conversation about origins, identities and destinies. For that conversation to be meaningful, it is necessary to know the basic facts and the recurring themes in Canadian history, literature and politics.

I can't imagine doing it though, i realise they had a department before it was ever in undergrad arts, and i know they have both australian studies and american studies post grad departments but i still think its pretty random.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

It's a bit...silly...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

OK, I'm just finished my exams and I'm tired but I'm going to try to answer as many points as possible.

1) To those who critisised my saving of Welsh, I must agree. I saved it merely because we live near Wales and that is not reason enough. I also spared it because I understand that very few people actually attend the course, so it does not need capping.

2)To those who could not make the decision I am disappointed in you. It is childish to pretend that all knowledge is equally valid and of equal relevence. If you truely cannot stomach even the hypothetical question of cuts then maybe you could answer this instead: If you were told to assign extra money to certain courses but that you had to leave some out, which would you leave?

3)I like Arts and like my courses, so I would appreciate it if certain people would stop suggesting that I am looking down at my own subjects!

4)I tried to be objective in my treatment of subjects, even ones which I study. I looked at what I percieved were the merits of each subject and their relevence and tried to decide what society needed. I never said that any field of learning should be abandoned, but not all areas are equal.

5)Some of you have insinuated that I started this discussion merely to annoy and anger. I did not.

6)Philosophy. I capped this with great regret. It was once a great science but to compare it to the subject that astounded the Greeks is completely disengenuous. Philosophy is a shell of its former self. As it gave birth to fields like psycology and economics they took great chunks out of philosophy's mandate, leaving it the bare bones of what it was. It no longer ponders things of relevance or bases them on evidence but is merely basket-weaving for the brain, seeking the admiration of others by creating complex thoughts that lead nowhere. What was the last great achievement of philosophy? It has been riding on its "great history" for over a century.

7) Philosophy is not included in the social catagory (in my opinion) because while literature, art and music are enjoyed by all people in a state, and more importantly are signatures of that country. I associate countries with their most famous are, literature and music (sometimes architecture). Great philosophers (except in Greece) don't really add much to a state.

8)HCH I presume that you know that the line of thought that gave Economics the nickname "the dismal science" was adjusted over a century ago.

9)
    Scop wrote:
    Firespinner, your utterly woeful grasp of good old fashioned thinking suggests a 3 year stint with Philosophy might just be useful.
    Vaugely offensive and largely meaningless, you must be proud. Exactly how would philosophy help me?

10) I stand by my saving of Latin

11)Canadian Studies strikes me as a bit pointless

I have tried to answer most of the points that stood out to me, and hopefully that satisfies most of you. There is no need for the anger displayed in this thread, it is a valid question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

Just one small point to make about the part i've emboldend? LIVING? SCIENCE? you've gotta be kidding me.

Do you know what they call economics? The dismal science!

and theres another chunk of it thats just... well... evil heartless money grubbing filth. You can justify child (near slave) labour through economics. Thats what i learned in first year

The urge to flame is almost unbearable, but I will resist....but you quoting Carlyles misinterpretation of Malthus says it all really!

Having studied nothing else but the 'dismal science' this year, believe it or not, I have not learned to con, fraud, mug old ladies, blackmail or otherwise. But then again, you may have had Moore McDowell in first year ;)

I don't see the need to cut any arts courses to be honest. I think my course would be more rounded if I took a philosophy module. One of the major criticisms of our college is the lack of academic atmosphere amongst the students. Whether this is accurate or not, would curtailing an arts subject like philosophy really help in this goal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

9)Vaugely offensive and largely meaningless, you must be proud. Exactly how would philosophy help me?

Yes, I am proud. You must be proud of your troll thread here as well? Philosophy would provide some balance for your daily laser liek insights on the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

on the note of economics, a wise man once said that any field that needs to convince people its a science or add science onto the end of its name, is no science at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

&#231 wrote: »
    on the note of economics, a wise man once said that any field that needs to convince people its a science or add science onto the end of its name, is no science at all.
    That's us comp. sci. people buggered then:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Why are we criticising our own course Arts why? I don't think that's a good idea for people to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

6)Philosophy. I capped this with great regret. It was once a great science but to compare it to the subject that astounded the Greeks is completely disengenuous. Philosophy is a shell of its former self. As it gave birth to fields like psycology and economics they took great chunks out of philosophy's mandate, leaving it the bare bones of what it was. It no longer ponders things of relevance or bases them on evidence but is merely basket-weaving for the brain, seeking the admiration of others by creating complex thoughts that lead nowhere. What was the last great achievement of philosophy? It has been riding on its "great history" for over a century.

7) Philosophy is not included in the social catagory (in my opinion) because while literature, art and music are enjoyed by all people in a state, and more importantly are signatures of that country. I associate countries with their most famous are, literature and music (sometimes architecture). Great philosophers (except in Greece) don't really add much to a state.

You haven't engaged with any of my points and continue to spout un/misinformeed opinion as if it were fact.
    Scop is entirely right.

Go on so, give me an example of such " complex thoughts that lead nowhere"

"It no longer ponders things of relevance or bases them on evidence..."
    I could direct you to Singer on animal rights, Foucault on systems of correction, Chomsky on politics...
    But to do so would, and to defend philosophy on such ground would be to miss the point entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

Blowfish wrote:
    That's us comp. sci. people buggered then:)

So ironic, given that he's a fellow comp sci ;)

Actually, no firespinner. If you've ever been to the NCH, you'd realise great music is not widely appreciated. It's one of the reasons why opera is so rarely performed in Ireland, unfortunately. Also, I've often been to the theatre and it's about half empty (then again I do go to the cheaper showings - studentsville :rolleyes:)

Philosophers- what about Voltaire, Rousseau, Locke, Mill, Hume, Burke - do you think these individuals add nothing to a country's culture?

• Advertisement

Both of you miss my point. You name Mill and *gag* Chomsky as political philosophers but I would point out that their theories and writings are covered in politics. Why teach the material twice? That is what I was trying to say above. Political writers are no longer philosophers as politics has established itself as a seperate discipline. As such the scope of philosophy has shrunk.

Oh and Voltaire, while amusing, was an elequant smartass.

Both of you miss my point. You name Mill and *gag* Chomsky as political philosophers but I would point out that their theories and writings are covered in politics. Why teach the material twice? That is what I was trying to say above. Political writers are no longer philosophers as politics has established itself as a seperate discipline. As such the scope of philosophy has shrunk.

Oh and Voltaire, while amusing, was an elequant smartass.

Hmm... if you want to talk about the parameters of a diciplin, in this case politics you're already getting into a philosophical discussion :rolleyes:

And, you've completely missed the point of my post anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Surely the two disciplines would approach Mill and Chomsky in two completely different ways. By your logic why bother reading the historical sagas of, say, the Vikings because the English Department covers them. Why approach a topic in just one way?

Surely the two disciplines would approach Mill and Chomsky in two completely different ways. By your logic why bother reading the historical sagas of, say, the Vikings because the English Department covers them. Why approach a topic in just one way?

So save money of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I was taught Mill, Locke etc as political theory, what I interpreted to be the philosophy of the discipline.
    Hmm... if you want to talk about the parameters of a diciplin, in this case politics you're already getting into a philosophical discussion :rolleyes:
    Exactly! :D

I've studied Northern Ireland in both politics and history, and both departments taught it from a very different perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭DJDC

I can’t believe people are even wasting their times trying to argue with firespinner. He is obviously taking the piss or else he is indeed an uneducated misinformed individual. Removal of the philosophy department from any university is a ludicrous statement and displays a deep arrogance.

It is a wonder how people like him make it to university in the first place if he really is giving his true opinions. This is another reason why the arts faculty should try and attract more capable students.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Surely the two disciplines would approach Mill and Chomsky in two completely different ways.
    Yes, definitely, we've done some of his language related stuff, because it applies to comp. sci. I'm pretty sure that politics would have done a completely different side of him.

DJDC wrote:
    I can’t believe people are even wasting their times trying to argue with firespinner. He is obviously taking the piss or else he is indeed an uneducated misinformed individual. Removal of the philosophy department from any university is a ludicrous statement and displays a deep arrogance.

Firstly, I said at least twice that I didn't favour the removal of any funding from Arts. This is a hypothetical discussion, on what subject would you remove funding on if you had to. I do not want to cut philosophy.
    Secondly, I never said remove it, I said to cap its funding and the number of students that it takes. (Again only if the decision had to be made)

DJDC wrote:
    It is a wonder how people like him make it to university in the first place if he really is giving his true opinions. This is another reason why the arts faculty should try and attract more capable students.
    I would advise you to keep your mouth closed. You have no clue as to the true scope of my intellect. I could be Stephen Hawking for all you know, or I could be just an average person.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Let's keep it a bit more civil, shall we? It grates against me to have to spend my time in this forum trawling through flame-wars like this.

Just keep the personal bull out of it. I don't want this thread to go the same way as the Trade School one.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

Ok, so some forums I've been on tend to dislike what's called "thread necromancy" and consider it a breach of netiquette. I've never quite understood that, as I see no reason to keep old threads and keep them open, if we're not keeping with the remote prospect that a discussion might be continued at some point. Further, on other sites I frequent, thread necromancy is seen as a good thing, and is considered infinitely preferable to simply starting a new thread on the same topic and thereby taking up server space, and bloating the database with redundant duplicates.

I perused the charter here, and there's nothing specifically against it. If I've broken an unspoken rule, well, I'm sorry. I think it's relevant, because the topic has come up in recent Pros and Cons thread, and rather than drag that thread off topic, or start a new duplicate of this one, I thought it would be a good idea if I simply revived this one to take pressure off it. Further, it seems that this thread had deteriorated, and then was left hanging, and I felt that nobody had given Firespinner a convincing defense of philosophy, and the Arts generally, yet, and so it seemed as if the thread hadn't really been finished. I hope that the thread can be continued civilly, since I think there are good points to be made.

Finally, I don't presume that in the intervening three years Firespinner (who is now someone else! ;) ) hasn't matured in his attitude. I consider it an inevitability. So I don't presume to straw-man the present boardsie by attributing to him the views of his first year self. Nevertheless, I think the views of Firespinner expressed in this thread are representative of common misgivings concerning the Arts, and philosophy in particular, and I don't think it's a waste of time to address them here, in order to be informative.
    Scop wrote:
    Firespinner, your utterly woeful grasp of good old fashioned thinking suggests a 3 year stint with Philosophy might just be useful.

9)Vaugely offensive and largely meaningless, you must be proud. Exactly how would philosophy help me?
    I think what scop meant to express to you was the following...
    s1) That experience of philosophy might bequeath you with the formal training in argumentation to argue your case more effectively, or to see the flaws, and formal errors in the arguments you have already presented.
    s2) That direct experience with philosophy might bequeath you with a sensibility (read: humility) about things you don't know an awful lot about, and an appreciation for what sorts of features and issues might arise even in discussion of topics with which you have no experience.
    s3) Since your argument touches directly on philosophy, that direct experience of philosophy might have appraised you of some of the facts concerning the discipline, the sore lack of which have impoverished the persuasive power of your statements about the discipline.

There are perhaps more points, but I should think that these cover a goodly portion of what scop was likely to have been saying, rather pithily.

I think, though, that what is wrong with your approach can be quite neatly encapsulated in your misunderstanding of philosophy. Consider:
    and finally we come to the trickiest subject to judge - Philosophy. As a subject over the ages it has spawned many other now cherished fields of study such as Economics, Politics, Sociology and even Mathematics. For this it deserves respect. But, its children have outgrown it and no longer nurse on't. Has it got any other fields in the metaphorical womb? No. It has given all it can to society. All that is left now is random thoughts, worded to sound profound, telling us nothing. It has become a hollow science, all meaning long since stripped from it. It is one of the oldest disciplines, but it has been exhausted. It is with great regret that I must Cap it.
    and also:

I think these posts reveal nothing other than a fundamental misunderstanding of what the word "philosophy" means, and what the discipline of philosophy represents. For one thing, you dismiss philosophy as meaningless verbiage, and yet your entire argument takes as its premises assumptions on points of philosophy.

Take, for instance, your decision on how to evaluate the relative worthiness of different fields:
    Some Arts subjects must be either downgraded or terminated and their funds transferred to more useful and important subjects.

The assumption being that the "more useful" subjects will be coextensive with the most important subjects, and this is how we are to find out which subjects ought to prioritized.

Well... first of all... you must understand that (it is a philosophical commonplace that) "usefulness" is always usefulness for something. Subjects aren't just disinterestedly useful. They are always useful towards some or other end. Elsewhere you've clarified that your particular brand of usefulness is a usefulness to society, to the state's cultural and economic wellbeing, and to some conception of the knowledge economy. Well, I feel there's a crucial ambiguity in how you measure that usefulness, but when you go on to pick through the different disciplines one by one, I find your evaluation is rather patchy, and arbitrary in places, suffering from ignorance in many quarters.

For instance, you dismiss Ancient Greek as only "useful" in terms of Biblical study:
    -Greek-This could be downgraded as its only real use is Biblical interpretation
    which certainly isn't the first thing I would have thought of Greek as useful for. The study of ancient history (often written in Greek) is one thing your regime would expel, and yet, I assume, since you intend to keep on history and literature, these disciplines will be deprived of the tools to appropriate more than a passing appreciation of the context in which their disciplines operate.

Furthermore, you seem to have confused the notion of pragmatic value with the notion of intrinsic value:
    How do we decide what goes and what stays? What subjects are intrinsically worthy? By examining each subject and judging its merit.

Surely you understand that when you talk about intrinsic worthiness you've already stopped talking about usefulness? The intrinsic worthiness a subject possesses is a worthiness it possesses by virtue of itself. The reasons why the subject itself is valuable, rather than the reasons why it is useful towards some other intrinsic good. This is often talked about as its use value, utility, extrinsic worth, or its pragmatic value.

So you see, it isn't a simple matter to "examine each subject and judge its merit." You've already run into problems by conflating extrinsic worth with intrinsic worth. Literacy in this sort of issue is something you learn in philosophical discourse touching on values, which you could look on (to be simplistic) as an outgrowth of the Platonic discourse on the Good.

Furthermore, it isn't as if this sort of discussion isn't already something that is carried out. Do you know where it is carried out? In the philosophy of education. Therein, you can find an array of discussions on whether education ought to value only the pragmatic/state/social application of a subject, or whether there are intrinsic reasons why education, in particular subjects or as a whole, ought to be regarded as a good in itself. Seeing as you obviously feel that this topic warrants concern, you're already knee deep in hypocrisy, since you are engaging (albeit inexpertly) in a philosophical discourse in which you attack the worth of all philosophical discourse.

It isn't at all clear, as you will find in the philosophy of education, that we always ought to select only those subjects which are useful for some societal goal. There are plenty of positions on that question. The idea that education is an end in itself is at least as prevalent, and in fact, is the idea that was responsible for the evolution of the university. Many believe that the university is specifically for fostering the pursuit of knowledge as an ultimate goal, and not as a stop-gap to greater things. For instance, within the hard sciences, pragmatic usefulness is a popular sort of justification, but you hear just as often the idea that the advancement of mankind's knowledge is the enrichment of the lot of man. That's the sort of talk that tends to be prevalent within a university. According to this sort of philosophy, the university is the organ of knowledge for a society, and ought never to be thought of only as some engine to drive the economy. So it isn't a foregone conclusion that, as we start to look at the subjects, it will be automatically on the basis of usefulness that we adjudicate their value. I'll warrant that difference of opinion on that point is a main reason why you ticked off so many people.

Furthermore, your commitment to the use-value of subjects seems to indicate a thorough-going pragmatism about value within society, but that just isn't a tenable position. Where do you cash out your use-value? As I've already said, usefulness is always usefulness for. Now, what is the ultimate goal towards which things within a society are useful? Presumably education is useful towards fueling the ship of state? But what is the success of the state useful for? Why do we engage in this collective civilizing process to begin with?

Some people would answer: to be prosperous... but prosperity in terms of money seems to me to be a prime example of something with only use-value. In a consumerist society, I suppose, we are free to pursue whatever we want with our now plentiful resources, for which we have to thank your educational pragmatism? But what will we pursue? More prosperity? The shallow cultural milieu we are left with in the wake of your purge of the university? How is culture, as an end in itself, to survive if you impoverish the organs by which it is maintained? Many believe, as I do, that riches can be more than merely money. The sciences and the arts represent the crowning achievements of our species - they truly differentiate us from the other forms of life we are aware of. They are richly rewarding to those who pursue them, and many regard them as the most fundamental sort of riches that are available to a human being. This is actually a commonplace within civilised society - it tends to figure in the definition of civilized society. In a radical reversal of the picture of the state you have haphazardly implied, many people believe that the systems and institutions of the state are in place so as to ensure the relative comfort and prosperity of a population so that we can all go and educate ourselves to the fullest potential available to us. In other words, university subjects aren't there in order to contribute to the vast machinery of the state, but the state machinery is there to enable us to pursue the sorts of things represented by university subjects. These things are often produced as evidence of the disparity in quality of life between the relatively comfortable middle classes, and the working classes. That the rich can enjoy theatre, and the fruits of philosophical discussion, while the poor man must toil only to stand still. So, once again, it's not at all clear that, even if we're going to be relatively pragmatic about social policy pertaining to education, we're going to want to cut down on the arts.

And further again, we're still not convinced that any of the Arts subjects, intrinsically worthy though they are, really are as useless as you say they are. Look at what you said about philosophy again:
    All that is left now is random thoughts, worded to sound profound, telling us nothing. It has become a hollow science, all meaning long since stripped from it. It is one of the oldest disciplines, but it has been exhausted... It no longer ponders things of relevance or bases them on evidence but is merely basket-weaving for the brain, seeking the admiration of others by creating complex thoughts that lead nowhere. What was the last great achievement of philosophy? It has been riding on its "great history" for over a century.
    Now, that really is just ignorant. That's what that sounds like... it sounds as if you are ignorant of what is actually done in philosophy. It sounds as if you heard some philosophical discourse, and, not understanding it, wrote it off as "meaningless." Do you seriously believe that philosophy is no more than obfuscatory, attention seeking quackery? Allow me to remove your prejudices.
    As a subject over the ages it has spawned many other now cherished fields of study such as Economics, Politics, Sociology and even Mathematics... As it gave birth to fields like psycology and economics they took great chunks out of philosophy's mandate, leaving it the bare bones of what it was.
    Now, this is profoundly misinformed (and you have your ignorance of the history of philosophy to thank for that), but the truth is that philosophy is the original investigatory discipline. Not only the fields you mentioned above, but science itself, as an institution, claims descent from philosophical parentage. Greek Presocratics took the physical universe itself as as much an object of inquiry as what are these days considered perennial subjects. Ancient Greek medicine wasn't really distinct from Greek philosophy. The scientific endeavour, as we know it today, was for a long time talked about as Natural Philosophy, or the philosophy of nature. Scientific method represents an array of philosophical positions on how to inquire effectively into the natural world.

And you claim that the birth of these disciplines heralded the compartmentalization of philosophical inquiry into the subdisciplines, and the obsolescence of the parent. But this is actually to miss the point of the university. Psychology, and its many different branches, not all of which broke off together from philosophy (or even from philosophy at all!) represents an assortment of different philosophical positions, and assumptions, about the correct mode of inquiry. History happens within the context of various philosophical assumptions. Economics has a philosophical mandate only in virtue of its taking certain philosophical assumptions as a starting point. Politics, political science, and sociology each encompass, among their more empirical or contentful considerations, a swathe of social and political philosophy. As you've already mentioned, there is a crossover between many disciplines, and many disciplines end up having to touch on the same topic from a different angle. Disputes, for instance, between different branches of psychology end up being philosophical disputes, concerning the philosophical assumptions we are entitled to make.

It turns out that philosophy, at least in part, remains as a metasubject. And this is reflected by the variety of meta-disciplinary fields within philosophy. We have philosophy of science, philosophy of physics, of mathematics, and of psychology. There is philosophy of history, political philosophy, social philosophy. There is philosophy that encompasses the sorts of theory that are applied in literature studies. Most of the influential thinkers within sociology, (which you have kept) are philosophers. There are philosophies of the environment, and philosophies which adjudicate the metaquestions concerning economic theory, and its relevance within a social context, and its supposed value. There are ethical discourses concerning the use of the sciences, and philosophy of law, and philosophy examining the relationship of law to social policy, and the relationship between evolutionary psychology and progressive law reform in nascent political theories. When religious leaders and highly specialized scientists come out and make general claims, that is, in fact, a matter of philosophy. Philosophy is, in fact, ubiquitous. It underpins just about every major university discipline. You can't get by in interdisciplinary settings (which a university will produce) without doing a bit of philosophy. In fact, you were unable to avoid doing a bit of philosophy in this thread.

Now, you might imagine that if psychologists want to talk to zoologists, or historians of political thought want to converse with historians proper, they can do the relevant philosophizing. And that's true. But I don't see how you could not regard as useful a discipline devoted to analysis of the fundamental premises of the other university subjects, and devoted to generalism in this analysis. Philosophers specialize in abstract speculation, and it takes that to discourse on the proper places and relationships of the specialized disciplines.

Wilfrid Sellars, in a famous essay, advocates philosophy as the quintessential generalism, and I tend to think he displays great wisdom in doing so. It isn't for no reason that philosophy has been prolific in spawning sub-disciplines. Philosophy has been the formation point of a number of more recent hyrbid disciplines, too, which I'm about to mention.

I came to philosophy from a practical discipline... actor training, because I felt ignorant and blind. I felt as if my training had been overspecialized, and that I was operating in a vacuum, when it seemed to me that there was a vast intellectual context in which my discipline sat, and which situated it among the other fields. That was philosophy... and the study of it has been like finding the control room from which the grand academic project is planned and surveyed.

Would it interest you to know that scientific method is not a monolith, and that it is likely that many scientists don't really have a clear idea what the scientific method really entails, or why it can be considered effective? Would it interest you to know that the philosophy of science has had endemic effects on the evolution of the scientific disciplines over the 20th century? I just couldn't enumerate all of the useful philosophical disciplines to you here if I had an age to do so, so numerous are they. I feel like I'm explaining the virtues of food. What you've dismissed really is that much more diverse than you seem to have imagined.
    It has been riding on its "great history" for over a century.
    Now this is really just codswallop. the 20th century was possibly the most active and fruitful period philosophy has ever had.
    Has it got any other fields in the metaphorical womb? No. It has given all it can to society.
    I wonder what sort of empirics vindicate that assertion. There are already a number of exciting new fields that promise to become more and more relevant and urgent as time goes on.

Ethical studies within philosophy, for instance, show no sign of becoming irrelevant. The advance of science, and new technologies present new ethical fields, which involve philosophers. Hence, we have bioethics, medical ethics, the ethics of genetic engineering, the ethics of neural enhancement, the ethics of artificial intelligence, the ethics of technological enhancement etc etc etc. These fields often invoke far more perennial and abstract topics within philosophy, like the philosophy of mind, and the philosophy of personal identity, and metaphysical studies on the freedom of the will, and the nature of the self. There are advanced scientistic philosophies that advocate radical new ways of conceptualizing the self, in accordance with the data from scientific study, which would promise to change irrevocably and fundamentally the way we think about each other, about action, about thoughts and emotions, such as eliminative materialism. Surely you've heard of cognitive science, which is a hybrid discipline of neuroscientists psychologists, AI theoriests, mathematicians, and philosophers of various persuasions. Likewise, there are new fields of moral philosophy that converge interestingly with the sciences, and suggest new ways of investigating ethical problems. Experimental ethics is a burgeoning field, which is pretty heavy, too, on empirical data, which gives the lie to
    It no longer ponders things of relevance or bases them on evidence
    And still, philosophy is the substrate by which all of the other disciplines converse, which is what they have to do if any progress can be made within them... if they are to deliver any fruits of research back to the public knowledge. On what basis are the merits of competing claims from different fields addressed... on no possible basis but one involving the doing of some manner of philosophy.

I'm getting tired now, and I'm sure there is a fair helping of incoherencies above, since I'm not proof reading. But what I hope is that the above discussion goes some way towards making clearer the naivety I discern in statements like this:
    4)I tried to be objective in my treatment of subjects, even ones which I study. I looked at what I percieved were the merits of each subject and their relevence and tried to decide what society needed. I never said that any field of learning should be abandoned, but not all areas are equal.

yours in discussion,
    Fionn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

-Greek-This could be downgraded as its only real use is Biblical interpretation

Greek is thought through the school of classics. It does not higher any extra lecturers for this as the lecturers are either fluent in Greek, Latin or both. It costs no extra money to teach Ancient Greek. Also you are wrong about the practicality of Greek. Koine Greek is the language the New testament is written in and it is true Greek can be practical in this. But the main utility of Greek is the translation of ancient Greek sources, Plato, Aristotle, Aeschylus and sources written in Greek in the Roman period. This means that ancient Greek has crossover to the field of Philosophy (Plato, Aristotle). It also has a crossover appeal to archaeology. In the Hellenistic era their were Greek kingdoms from modern day Albania as far as India. If excavating in that area a grasp of Greek is vital if you are an archaeologist. Greek is also practical from a philological perspective and it can aid the reconstruction of several ancient languages and aid us in knowing where certain modern words come from too.

I know the thread is 2 years old but I had to straighten that out.

This was a thread from 1st year me (yes, I was an awful troll:)) trying to get a rise out of pretty*monster.

We don't bump threads years later, because it just gets 'messy' with people contradicting themselves, and with people who no longer post being called down.

So, thread locked.

EDIT: But your reply was very good

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement