Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

soup suggestions?

• 17-05-2006 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

i have quite a lot of chicken stock at the minute and was hoping for some of your favourite soup recipes.
    cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭elliebn

would you consider using it in a risotto, with some peas, broad beans and asparagus, parmesan, maybe a squeeze of lemon juice yummy!

not sure if these soups are to everyones tastes but here goes

Pea & Mint
    2 small onions
    2 cloves of garlic
    3 small potatoes
    1 large bag of frozen petit pois (i think its a kilo)
    2 litres of stock (used vegetable so maybe water your chicken down)
    Mint Sauce to taste

Fry the onion and garlic, add the potatoes and stock bring to the boil, when potatoes soft add the peas and simmer for about 10 minutes, blitz with a hand blender and stir in mint till it tastes like enough. it might not sound the best but it tastes delicious.

Sweet potato and Cumin
    2 small onions
    2 cloves of garlic
    2 carrots
    3 medium sweet potato
    2 litres of stock
    1 tablespoon of cumin seeds

Method pretty similar to above, fry the ingredients add the stock bring to the boil then simmer, when potatoes are cooked whizz it up, toast the cumin seeds and crush in a pestle and mortar, stir through a few minutes before you serve. Cumin can be kind of overpowering for some (i love it) so this is just a guideline

You could also do a kind of thai soup with peppers, spring onions, ginger, garlic, lemongrass and lime, add whatever meat and veg you want coconut milk, fish sauce and your stock. serve over rice noodles or on its own.

hope this helps

Ellie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Soup in my house generally gets made when I look at the veg basket and notice that some stuff is about to go off unless it gets used. Chicken stock is just the enabler, you can literally do anything with it soupwise.
    Almost all of them will start with a base of sweated onion and garlic, and maybe a bit of stock veg, you can build anything on that within reason.
    I like to use brown bread as a thickener (mostly opportunely as it is going hard), potatoes do a nice thickening job too.
    A hand blitzer is essential. Leeks and potatoes are always good.

I dont really do recipes when it comes to soups, just rely on tried and tested taste combinations that work, but base it all on the same idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Chicken and sweetcorn soup, done with a good chicken stock, can be quite nice too

http://w1w.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=recipes.recipe&iID=512702

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Chicken Noodle soup! Not just for the ill. Seeing as the bird you made the stock with is probably long eaten, you can cheat by gently poaching a chicken breast in some of the stock. When cooked, shred and add to a panful of the simmering stock, along with some diced carrot and celery. Simmer for maybe 15 minutes, then add some dried egg noodles and cook for another 10 minutes.

Really simple flavours, but if you have a good flavourful stock you don't need much to bring out the best in it. Also, as elliebn said, don't forget risotto as an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Carrot & Orange soup
    Ingredients
    1 fairly large onion chopped
    2 oz butter or margarine
    1 lb diced carrots
    1 lt chicken stock
    1/2 tin concentrated orange juice (to taste)
    Salt, pepper & pinch of ground coriander

For the garnish:
    150ml cream or natural yoghurt
    finely grated rind of orange (parsley on St. Patrick's Day!)

Method
    Heat the butter until foaming and just soften the vegetables in it but on no account let them colour.
    Add the stock and let it simmer, covered, until the carrots are well cooked.
    Puree in a blender, with a wand, or mash well with a fork/potato-masher if you've nothing else.
    Season to taste with approx. half tin of concentrated orange juice mixing it in gradually, so that it does not overpower the carrot flavour. ***
    Add the salt,pepper and ground coriander and stir.
    Serve hot with dollop of cream or yoghurt and sprinkled over with the orange rind (or parsley).
    To serve cold, mix in yoghurt and add a little cream when taking from the fridge. Scatter with rind.

*** This is the really tough bit. While its easy to add more and more orange till you get the balance right, if you add too much there's pretty-much nothing you can do. So be patient. Start with about a 1/4 tin, or even less, and don't add more than a tablespoon at a time after that between tasting. Also consider whether its more orange or more salt thats needed as you get close to a balance.

Alternative - Carrot & Coriander soup
    Forget the orange-juice, and go with crushed coriander seed instead. Probably 1-2 tablespoons. Again, its an add/taste/repeat cycle to get the balance right, but its a bit more forgiving than the OJ if you go a touch over with the coriander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

OK, not strictly a use for chicken stock per se, but a chicken soup nonetheless and a big favourite of mine. It's a Hungarian recipe I found in a Dutch cookery book, and one of the few useful things I've found to do with kohlrabi :)

Chicken Soup with Kohlrabi (Kalarábéleves)

3 tbsp salt
    2 onions
    1 chicken
    4 kohlrabi
    2 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp flour
    3 tbsp finely chopped parsley

Bring 2l of water to the boil with the salt. Peel the onions (leave them whole). Wash the chicken inside and out and put it into the boiling water together with the onions. Let the chicken simmer on a low heat for two hours, and skim any scum off the surface in the beginning. Peel the kohlrabi and cut them into 1cm blocks. Remove the cooked chicken from the stock, sieve the stock and remove any excess fat. Measure off 1.5l of stock and put back into the pan. Add the blocks of kohlrabi and let them cook for about 30 min. with the lid on the pan. Remove the skin from the chicken, take the chicken meat off the bones and cut into 1cm blocks. Add the chicken to the pot and let the whole lot cook until the kohlrabi is tender. Make a beurre manie with the butter and flour and whisk it into the soup. Let it simmer for another 10 minutes and add the chopped parsley before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭deedee lepoopoo

Mushroom Soup...mmmmmmmm

mushrooms
    tarragon (fresh)
    onion
    chicken/veg stock
    milk butter flour

soften onion & mushrooms

heat up stock & add on onions and mushrooms

simmer

add in milk and flour and butter & tarragon

blend it all up

Bob's yer uncle.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

This one has a real kick to it!!!!

Mexican Chicken Soup

1 medium white onion (really, try to make certain you get the white ones... it's a world of difference)
    2 jalapeno peppers
    5 or 6 plum tomatoes
    2 cloves of garlic
    1T olive oil
    1 pound chicken breast (or somewhere close to that-even leftover chicken breast works well, as long as it's not been marinated in some other flavor)
    1 QT chicken stock
    2 limes
    salt
    pepper

Put 1 T olive oil in large soup pot. chop veggies and and add to pot, cooking until they're soft (aprox 15 minutes). Add chicken stock and bring to boil. Turn heat to medium low, add chicken breast simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes (checking to make certain the chicken has been cooked through- you may substitute precooked chicken but then just simmer until the meat is heated through). Remove pot from heat and remove cooked breast and pull meat into strips. Return to pot. Squeaze both limes into soup. Stir and enjoy.

Even yummier the next day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 chunga_monster

cut in half 2 red peppers, deseed them,
    cut in half 6 REALLY ripe soft tomatoes
    put into roasting dish, cut side down with a quartered onion (red if ya have one) and 2 to 6 cloves garlic,unpeeled.
    spray with oil
    Roast at 200c for half an hour to 45 mins
    take out, Tip everything including the juice into food processor/blender with 1/2 pint veg stock (stock cube and water), blend.
    Now add pasta shapes and cook accordingly if you want a really filling meal, personally, to me,its better without
    * if you want a really smooth soup push it all through a sieve sounds too much trouble but only takes 5 mins and tasted delicious either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

This sweet potato and sesame soup from Masterchef on the BBC website is delicious. I've made it a good few times now and it has always delighted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement