Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gardening help

• 17-05-2006 8:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

i was wondering if anyone can help. i am having my garden done at the moment. i am getting rid of all the grass and having a patio and stone put down. yesterday i was taking to my gardener and he told me he isnt putting down liner under the stones (or patio). he is using this kind of gravel stuff with a cement mixed into it and he will put the patio and loose stones onto this. he put a bed of this down on friday to lay the patio on and the went for the weekend. i went out yesterday morning and noticed that the gravel stuff doesnt go hard at all. i am just wondering if the stones i will get will not get mixed into this gravel and make it look bad. he told me that you dont use liner as it will cause water to retain in the garden.

does anyone here have liner under stones? thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

tabatha wrote:
    i was wondering if anyone can help. i am having my garden done at the moment. i am getting rid of all the grass and having a patio and stone put down. yesterday i was taking to my gardener and he told me he isnt putting down liner under the stones (or patio). he is using this kind of gravel stuff with a cement mixed into it and he will put the patio and loose stones onto this. he put a bed of this down on friday to lay the patio on and the went for the weekend. i went out yesterday morning and noticed that the gravel stuff doesnt go hard at all. i am just wondering if the stones i will get will not get mixed into this gravel and make it look bad. he told me that you dont use liner as it will cause water to retain in the garden.

does anyone here have liner under stones? thanks for your help.

I have never heard of liner under paving.
    Do you have a particular reason for wanting liner?

Paving is usually put on top of a leyer of compacted hardcore (stones/gravel) which is flattened but not set hard; it is just flattened. Then you put either sand or concrete or some mixture on top of that and the paving gets laid onto that. No liner. It sounds like you are ok?

Des

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Some put down a liner that allows water to flow through (thereby eliminating the possibility of flooding), to keep weeds from growing in the hardcore and coming up between the patio slabs (which they often do after a year or less).

b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I put down a patio/path last year and used a permeable liner.
    Partly for weed control but mainly to stop all my sand washing away
    (the liner is below the sand base)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

GreeBo wrote:
    I put down a patio/path last year and used a permeable liner.
    Partly for weed control but mainly to stop all my sand washing away
    (the liner is below the sand base)

ok, fair enough (and also pointed out by Franknfurter).
    I guess Tabatha need not worry nonetheless??

Patty O'Reilly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

thanks for your help guys. liner is going under the loose stones and not the patio, hardcore under that. all ok in the end!:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement