Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty goods under guarantee

Options
  • 17-05-2006 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

I purchased an american style fridge freezer 18 months ago. The freezer is no longer freezing. The engineer was here yesterday and will be back this morning to finish repairing it. He thinks it's a faulty thermostat. As it's under guarantee will I still have to pay ie call out charge?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

If the engineer was sent by the supplier you bought it from, then no, you will not have to pay so long as he agrees the part has developed a fault during normal usage, or was faulty to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Thanks for the quick reply. When I reported the fault to the shop I purchased the fridge/freezer I was informed that it's a fairly common problem with american style fridge/freezers. My friend who has the same make and model and has had the same problem yet when you're buying it the shop doesn't inform you of the potential problem. Thanks again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

What model is it...?I am looking to buy a American style fridge freezer,which means the other half is looking to buy one I could not care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

deisemum wrote:
    I purchased an american style fridge freezer 18 months ago. The freezer is no longer freezing. The engineer was here yesterday and will be back this morning to finish repairing it. He thinks it's a faulty thermostat. As it's under guarantee will I still have to pay ie call out charge?

They would (should!) have mentioned a charge for the engineer before they sent him out of there was to be a charge.
    I don't think you should be charged anyway but it'd be very bad form not to tell you if there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Read the warranty?
    Check what's included (Parts and labour?).

Where did you order it from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Depending on what brand it is its likely that your warranty only covers the parts after 12 monts and i would have thought you are liable for the callout charge unless they are doing it out of goodwill

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I had to pay €80 call out charge but didn't have to pay for the replacement thermostat. At least it's working now

Advertisement