Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the story regarding.....

Options
  • 17-05-2006 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Cyclists cycling two or three abreast on the road?

Several times I have been stuck behind cyclists on country roads. And I am not talking about races here, I am talking about guys having a leisurley cycle and chatting to each other?

I would have assumed they are supposed to cycle in single file, and if it is not a legal requirement, surely good manners would mean they would move over and allow motorists pass them by.

I know they are equally entitled to the road, but this is a terribly annoying habit some of them have.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

prospect wrote:
    Cyclists cycling two or three abreast on the road?

Several times I have been stuck behind cyclists on country roads. And I am not talking about races here, I am talking about guys having a leisurley cycle and chatting to each other?

I would have assumed they are supposed to cycle in single file, and if it is not a legal requirement, surely good manners would mean they would move over and allow motorists pass them by.

I know they are equally entitled to the road, but this is a terribly annoying habit some of them have.

As a general rule the line of preference goes........pedestrian,cyclist and finally motorist.

As a cyclist myself if everytime we had to go into single file every time a car came it would ruin the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

As a general rule the line of preference goes........pedestrian,cyclist and finally motorist.

Actually:
    Person in control of an animal, pedestrian,cyclist and finally motorist.

I appreciate that, so what you are saying is that you will gladly interfere with the progress of other road users, rather than "ruin the experience" ? A bit of a selfish attitude i think.

Although, I should have pointed out that this has happened twice in recent weeks, at 5:30pm, peak commuting time..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As a cyclist myself if everytime we had to go into single file every time a car came it would ruin the experience.
    I think that if the cyclist is aware that 2 abreast is holding up traffic then it would be simply courteous to move into single file to allow traffic to pass. We all have to use the roads.............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm pretty sure they are allowed to cycle 2 abreast. Also I think they are allowed to cycle 3 abreast if say two cyclists are overtaking a slower one.

There is definitely something stated in the legislation about cyclists and how many abreast they are entitled to be on the road.

In practice, cyclist cycling 2 abreast on country roads are taking a big risk even if they are in the right from a legal POV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

BrianD3 wrote:
    In practice, cyclist cycling 2 abreast on country roads are taking a big risk even if they are in the right from a legal POV.
    ^^
    'I was legally in the right' isn't much of an addition to a grave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

prospect wrote:
    Actually:
    Person in control of an animal, pedestrian,cyclist and finally motorist.
    I stand corrected.
    prospect wrote:
    A bit of a selfish attitude i think.
    Think the environment would think differently.
    prospect wrote:
    Although, I should have pointed out that this has happened twice in recent weeks, at 5:30pm, peak commuting time..
    They must do it on purpose to you then.

:)

Also i apply the same safely rule when cycling as when i am on my motorbike. When you are taught how to ride a motorbike you are taught to claim your space. This prevents you from being squeezed into the side verge of the road. I apply the same principles when cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Similar thread from the cycling board
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054922361

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I would like to agree with Prospect on this.

Many a time have I been the car in the situation above and when I tap my horn to alert the bikes to move I sometimes get this dirty look as in why are you beeping at me to get out of the way.

Solving the problem would mean actually putting cycle paths in areas outside of dublin. Then the road can be reclaimed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Rules of the Road:

"You must not cycle more than two abreast. In heavy traffic cycle in single file."

22nd edition 2005 page 58

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

There's an excellent analogy in that thread:
    roadmanmad wrote:
    I try to explain to non cyclists the experience of being overtaken

Imagine you are driving along a beautiful straight road (say 120 kph). Hold that thought.

Now imagine the wheels of a 747 appearing about 5 feet to your right. This guy has just come out of nowhere. Most people at this stage of the story say 's***'. Now what are you thinking as this hugely imposing machine is within your comfort zone.

Now imagine you look ahead and you see another 747. Only this 747 is in the path of the one alongside you and a little further to the right. Where you think the 747 alongside you is going to go, maybe just a little bit in your direction. Now what would be your thought process in this senario. Now think of a cyclist being passed by a car.

I think the scale helps clueless drivers (and many are clueless) to appreciate the concept. They have no idea.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected.

They must do it on purpose to you then.

:)

Also i apply the same safely rule when cycling as when i am on my motorbike. When you are taught how to ride a motorbike you are taught to claim your space. This prevents you from being squeezed into the side verge of the road. I apply the same principles when cycling.

It seems like they do sometimes....

I think you are talking extreems here.

I would not mind if people are cycling two abreast, and moved in when they noticed a car.
    I would not expect them to cycle on the verge, or through potholes.
    I slow when passing cyclists, and move out a bit to avoid a gush of displaced air knocking them over.

I am talking about a decent road, and cyclists who are well aware of the cars presence, and yet they choose to ignore, and force me to drive behind them at about 20khm.

Anan1 wrote:
    There's an excellent analogy in that thread:

That is a load of horse sh1t tbh.

If you were driving up a live runway in dublin airport, you would expect this to happen. Likewise, if you drive on the roads, you expect to meet cars and trucks etc. If that is an issue for the person who made that post, they should get on a bus.

That said, alot of the problem boils down to how tremendously crap our roads are. Very few have cycle lanes.

I live near Naas, and their answer to public requests for a cycle lane on the Sallins road, was to paint a cycle lane onto 1/3 of each lane. Now, if you drive any car bigger than a smart city car, you have to drive in the cycle lane!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Presumably, on your motorbike you are not holding up a queue of 10 cars at 15mph.

I cycled for years, difference is I cycled to get places. These twits out on sunday afternoons are just posing in their spandex. I always thought it was dead funny to go ripping past them in jeans & t-shirt on a mountain bike while they're dawdling along in their full posing gear on €2k worth of racer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

Its one thing claiming your space and its another to impede the flow of traffic. If I was stuck behind you going 20mph because you wouldn't move in then I can safely say I would be doing my nut...

Would you walk 2 or 3 people abreast on a main road? Hope not cos not only is it inconsiderate, but its downright dangerous.
    Sorry Anan but I completely agree with prospect here...
    No offence but I couldn't give a flying cr@p about "your experience". When I'm on the roads I am using them to get from A to B. Funnily enough I was under the strange impression that is what they were built for.

Edit: Would you consider it fair enough if you were in a car and were stuck behind another car who was out for a leisurely drive and didn't want to go over 20mph??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

prospect wrote:

Agreed!

What is a motorist supposed to do? Cyclists must be overtaken! I agree with other sentiments, to hell with the "experience" and the law, if you are going around a blind corner cycle single breast and keep well in, it is suicide to do otherwise.

Maybe it because of where I live, but I have a bigger issue with people riding horses on the roads. Why people bring such silly tempramental animals out into traffic is beyond me. Rural roads are now quite busy, and they simply shouldn't be there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I bet you haven't thought about all the CO2 you're expelling puffing up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

prospect wrote:

If you were driving up a live runway in dublin airport, you would expect this to happen. Likewise, if you drive on the roads, you expect to meet cars and trucks etc. If that is an issue for the person who made that post, they should get on a bus.

I think you're missing the point here somewhat. Cyclists have every bit as much right to use our roads as we motorists do. Given the relative size of cars & bicycles, and the attitude of many motorists, I think it's quite understandable that they would ride defensively.

Anan1 wrote:
    I think you're missing the point here somewhat. Cyclists have every bit as much right to use our roads as we motorists do. Given the relative size of cars & bicycles, and the attitude of many motorists, I think it's quite understandable that they would ride defensively.

Not really.

The quote you used said: "This guy has just come out of nowhere" hence creating the impression that
    a) The person was not expecting it
    and
    b) That the "guy from nowhere" had no right to be there.

The same can be said of being in a car and a Supertruck, or a coach passing you.

expect the unexpected, and Cars driving on roads isn't exactly unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Anan1 wrote:

A right yes, but in excercising that right they must also respect the rights of other road users.

Riding defensively when you are on a push bike isn't all that intelligent. One scrape and you are in a wheelchair, whatever the legalitites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

crosstownk wrote:
    I think that if the cyclist is aware that 2 abreast is holding up traffic then it would be simply courteous to move into single file to allow traffic to pass. We all have to use the roads.............

Courtesy and any sense of self preservation would move them into single file as soon as they could.

As for 'coming out of no where'... thats a case of not looking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement