Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

quick question

Options
  • 17-05-2006 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭

what exactly is the problem what the chain slips when you apply more pressure to the pedals? usually in higher gears

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Its a long time since I cycled but AFAIR this used to happen if the derailler(sp?) was slightly out of adjustment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

It could also indicate a worn cog or cassette - the chain can slip right over the teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Morgan wrote:
    It could also indicate a worn cog or cassette - the chain can slip right over the teeth.
    That is the reason that my chain was slipping. When the cog and cassette were replaced the guy showed me the very worn teeth. Everything is great now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

daymobrew wrote:
    That is the reason that my chain was slipping. When the cog and cassette were replaced the guy showed me the very worn teeth. Everything is great now.

Yup thats the main reason, usually the cogs in the rear cassette get worn and the chain cant engage them properly. It can also happen if you mix new components with old: If you have an old chain and new cassette or new chain and cassette they might not work properly.
    Cleaning the chain and cogs might help a little!
    R

Advertisement