Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrosive water supply

Options
  • 17-05-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

We had a leak a few weeks ago in the hot water cylinder, which had to be replaced. My uncle, a plumber, said to get the water supply tested which we did, and the pH was low (about 6.6.). I was wondering what those greenish stains had been about all these years. Showering had always felt rough, I suppose because copper had been leached into the water due to the acidity. Since we are on Dublin mains water, is there anything practical that could be done about this, anything that could be fitted? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi,

The geen stains on the copper would have been caused by the oxidation of the copper not necessarily the water.

Dublin mains is usually soft water and the amount of copper that could leach into your system in negligable considering the contents would have been constantly changing every time the hot tap was switched on.

A far as I recall the neutral PH level is 7 so 6.6 is good by most standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How old is the plumbing in the house?

If you really want, get a water filter.

Dublin water varies, depending on whether it is sourced from the Liffey at Leixlip (limestone area) or from the mountains (granite).

Advertisement