Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fr Pat Noise Plaque

Options
  • 17-05-2006 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

what is the story with that plaque on O'connell bridge? i heard it is a few wealthy students taking the piss but there are a load of wild theories flying about. Good joke if it is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

I seen the pictures in the paper of the procedure and they looked like older men although the faces were blurred out. Wealthy students? why wealthy? It doesnt take much money to pull off.

Fr Pat Noise has been proven to be a fictional character and it's a fantastic prank!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

From what i've heard (which isn't a lot due to not having a second to catch up with current affairs due to exams) The name "Pat Noise" is a play on words somewhat atleast, to Patar Noster. It also states that he was "an aid to Peadar Clancy who died in mysterious circumstances".

Funnily enough, and very interestingly, I'm actually Peadar Clancy's great grand nephew (him not being married or having any children, that makes me a direct relation as you're likely to get)

I think the mysterious circumstances are that of how he was killer (Clancy along with others was murdered on Bloody Sunday after being captured by the English Authorities)

Our family (including me) could never really understand why history has somewhat ommitted Clancy from praise. He played significant roles in 1916, 1917 elections, hunger strikes, etc.. He was also a best friend and right hand man of Michael Collins. Also he was one of the top conspirators who drew up the plans for the killing of the G-Men in 1916.

Besides that, I have no clue why anyone would reference Clancy in the above mentioned plaque!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Why was it placed on top of the bridge wall? it can't be seen unless one looks for it. It would be much more visible on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭raheny red

Litcagral wrote:
    Why was it placed on top of the bridge wall? it can't be seen unless one looks for it. It would be much more visible on the side.

Suppose it was to easier to it that way becasue of you were down on your knees doing it I reckon the police would be a bit wary........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Apparently they did there because there was already a sizeable slot, left for the millenium clock supposidly.

Good show all 'round!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Apparently they did there because there was already a sizeable slot, left for the millenium clock supposidly.

Good show all 'round!

Then Millenium Clock was about 20 feet by 8 feet and was in the water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

here, here, I've loved the whole story. Still a bit of soul in the Celtic Tiger! Good post hada, interesing read

Then Millenium Clock was about 20 feet by 8 feet and was in the water

I know, I'm just repeating what I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭leche solara

The clock was in the water, but there was a plaque on the wall telling people what it was. Wasn't there also a postcard machine where you get a card showing the number of seconds to the millennium.

Peadar Clancy got a barracks named after him!

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭hada

Peadar Clancy got a barracks named after him!

he did but i believe (to the best of my knowledge) that the barracks has since been closed.

Hmph :(

• Advertisement

Great prank all the same.

Advertisement