Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Investing in Gold Discuss?

Options
  • 17-05-2006 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭

It’s come up in a couple of posts but thought it maybe useful to have a thread discussing investing in gold, I’ve listed a few sites I’ve found useful, there is a huge US element to this and a lot of the writers are trying to get people to sign up to subscription services however I don’t think this is necessary and ultimately you should do your own thinking. Rob TV is quite good if you are interested in investing in individual North American energy and gold stocks

Why I like gold

-Hedge against the Euro
    -Asians and Arabs and the Russians like gold
    - It is one of the few asset classes that is not debt based
    - If all the derivatives, money expansion, peak oil and excessive bank lending scare the begeebers out of you then gold is a good antidote
    - The general public hasn’t cottened on to it yet
    - if bought at $400 to $500 isn’t too far above the mining cost, little chance of gold falling to $300-$400 for any length of time as supply would drop.

Articles

www.gold.ie (an Irish company that sells physical gold and Perth mint certificates)
    www.gold-eagle.com
    www.safehaven.com

Podcasts

www.financialsense.com (good archive of interviews with various experts over the past couple of years)
    www.rob.com Canadian business tv channel focued on gold and energy where shows are archived for a week, beats wasting time watching cnbc

Buying

www.gold.ie
    www.goldmoney.com (electronic way of holding unallocated gold)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭PDelux

I have been betting on it recently. I wouldnt be surprised if it reached $800. As soon as there is a sharp fall with profit taking it ramps up again.

http://www.kitco.com/charts/livegold.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

current movements in gold,dont reflect any changes in underlying value.

Gold prices could well go above $1,000 but this will be because of speculation,which means if gold suddenly becomes unpopular then prices will plummet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 BessBoy

Theres a couple of people in Trinity who are in the business school researching in gold. Lucey and Tully.
    They have been quoted in Gold.ie a few times. Worth a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

BessBoy wrote:
    Theres a couple of people in Trinity who are in the business school researching in gold. Lucey and Tully.
    They have been quoted in Gold.ie a few times. Worth a look

indeed they do quite a bit of good research on gold. you can find some of their original papers at this link: http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/cf_dev/AbsByAuth.cfm?per_id=143468 , although if you are not familiar with the technical nature of academic economic research, then it might be best to concentrate on the distillations of their research provided in outlets like gold.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

dunkamania wrote:
    current movements in gold,dont reflect any changes in underlying value.
    Correct. current market volatility across all sectors is being driven by american interest rate policy.

dunkamania wrote:
    Gold prices could well go above $1,000 but this will be because of speculation
    I reckon there is very little chance of that happening.
    seriously overvalued already at 650 and falling.
    wild touting of this nature is not helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

Pal wrote:

I am not touting,I have no exposure or interest in Gold.

Gold isnt over or undervalued because its price is primarily speculation driven.

The utility derived from a lump of gold has a very low correlation with the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

My apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,247 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If gold goes up beacuse of the yen carry trade, excess liquidity then speculation and greed are the primary motivators so it will be volitile.

The fundamnetal reasons gold has been rising are the negetive real interest rates around the world and the sniff of inflation in the last couple of years, also a falling gold supply.

I agree gold could head hown to $500 in the coming months as the US housing market falls over, but it depends then what the US does, If Bernakie is true to his work and throws money out of helicopters the fear of infaltion wll send a ton of money in gold's direction.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

falling gold supply?

Pal wrote:
    Correct. current market volatility across all sectors is being driven by american interest rate policy.

dunkamania said that gold could go above $1,000 because of speculation ... that isn't a 'touting' position. Nor is it contributing to the well-thought-out OP of silverharp. Nor is you randomly stating that gold is seriously overvalued at $650.

You could just as easily be 'touting' a down position you hold, as much as dunkamania might be touting a buy position that he has (unlikely as that is).

• Advertisement

BessBoy wrote:
    falling gold supply?

mining production is down year on year, check out a website called mineweb, I'm sure they will have info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

You might be interested in this site and what he has to say

http://www.gold-eagle.com/editorials_05/hommel122205.html

Gold and silver may not be a bad investment after all

Utter, IMHO, sh&te.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've been thinking about investing in precious metals also as I believe the water is about to come over the hill on some of the bigger markets and investors will increasingly turn to the old reliables such as gold and silver.

Would be interested in knowing if there are investment schemes that are suited for the small monthly investor rather than a large lump sum investor? I don't want to be storing gold at home for obvious reasons.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

BessBoy wrote:
    Utter, IMHO, sh&te.

what is?

Longfield wrote:
    I've been thinking about investing in precious metals also as I believe the water is about to come over the hill on some of the bigger markets and investors will increasingly turn to the old reliables such as gold and silver.

Would be interested in knowing if there are investment schemes that are suited for the small monthly investor rather than a large lump sum investor? I don't want to be storing gold at home for obvious reasons.

www.goldmoney.com is probably a good way to go, not sure how it works out with Irish bank accounts as it's based in Jersey/UK. Otherwise there are gold ETF's and Rabo's gold fund would be an easy entry to the shares.

You might be lucky as there could be a longer correction over the next couple of months which would giv you a good entry price.

The rot by Abakan. Utter toss. A class case of looking at the past and forecasting to the longterm.

BessBoy wrote:
    A class case of looking at the past and forecasting to the longterm.

One could say that about any investment class, shares, property

BessBoy wrote:
    The rot by Abakan. Utter toss.

emmm, would you care to actually engage in the debate, rather than throwing out rent-an-insults... the only person looking stupid here is you.

I'm sure Brian, your finance lecturer, didn't teach you to discuss finance like this. Try and be an adult about your conversations...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've been looking at http://www.bullionvault.com
    It seems to offer good value for investing, however whats the cheapest way to transfer money ?

If I use BAC's it appears to be free, but with SWIFT its about 30 euro.
    For a monthly save of about €1000 thats about 3% plus about 1% other site charges - my investment needs to appreciate over 4% to make a profit( or 8% just to keep up with Irish inflation).

Can BAC's in Sterling or Dollars be done from Ireland at low cost, if not how to open a UK or US account that I can transfer funds to at very low cost ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

emmm, would you care to actually engage in the debate, rather than throwing out rent-an-insults... the only person looking stupid here is you.

I'm sure Brian, your finance lecturer, didn't teach you to discuss finance like this. Try and be an adult about your conversations...

Eh? Who?
    This guy was ramping.

Advertisement