Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless, How far?

• 17-05-2006 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

Hi, im out of range for fixed line broadband and think i can get wireless, i live 3 miles from the exchange and have quite a tall house.
    The reason i want it is for games, will i get a good enough connection?

ps i know fixed line is far better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There's no wireless broadband from an exchange so you can rule that out. I think most of the Wireless providers have a range of about 15km from the antenna. If there is one near you then you may be able to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

How can you be out of range @ 3 miles? Bad Copper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

How can you be out of range @ 3 miles? Bad Copper?
    Because this is Ireland and Eircom run the show. I failed my line test in my old house in Carlow town when I was 1.8 miles from an enabled exchange and was told it couldn't possibly be the copper network as 'a lot of work had been done in Carlow' and was told tough ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

The quality of your connection will be dependent on the clarity and quality of line of sight. At 3 miles, if you have perfect line of sight (no trees in the way) then you'll most likely have a great connection to their transmitter. There can be rf interference sometimes, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

However, even though you might have a perfect connection between your house and their transmitter, and on paper you should be getting excellent ping, many wireless broadband providers in Ireland (most infamously Irish Broadband) do not provide a good service for gaming. So it all depends on the ISP really... some of them might give a solid 15ms ping to Irish servers, and some might be unplayable altogether.

Still, its better than dialup or ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Psycopat

ok thanks for the help guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

does anyone here have clearwire wireless in blanchardstown,a friend is looking for info,what speeds are you getting?He wants 512k per second ,is it any better than I.B.B RE GAME ,downloads etc?Is the aerial within 3 miles of clonsilla?

Advertisement