Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Is there really a need for 3 Dunnes Stores within 1 mile of each other?

Yes, its called a monopoly :)

Thats why when Tesco looked to setup shop they killed it off with planning rejections so it moved to Callan,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

What's the story with Tesco? Are they going to set up shop in the city? I've lost track.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Very impressive but only when all the shops are open! Seems to be a lot of shops 'opening soon'.
    The Dunnes Stores aina't a patch on Kieran St though. Would much rather a Tesco. Car park well done but bit pricey at 1.50 an hour?...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is Virgin open yet? Or a proposed date if not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭djpaul

Kahless wrote: »
    Is Virgin open yet? Or a proposed date if not?

1st of December;)

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »
    What's the story with Tesco? Are they going to set up shop in the city? I've lost track.

rumour has it that it's goin to be in Citymart (old cattle mart).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I walk past the shopping center every day and still have not ventured inside yet.

Now I hate to judge a book by it's cover but that green tower-like-structure that's supposedly meant to resemble copper looks awful.
    It looks like cheap wood.
    If they had made that with the same materials as with the rest of the center it would have been absolutely stunning. But that's just me. I'm no architect/engineer/designer. :)
    Someday should I free up a half hour for myself I may have a peep inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Half an hour??? 10 mins more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Nightwish wrote: »
    Half an hour??? 10 mins more like.

Not the first time I've been told that ...

I stumbled in today, but despite the lack of shops it really has some potential.
    Looks classy inside.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Ventured in today for the first time too....
    Very impressed with the feel of the place.
    It's obvious that it opened too soon, pity that there isn't more open but it will no doubt be reasonably cool when it's more complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

djpaul wrote: »
    rumour has it that it's going to be in City mart (old cattle mart).

Kilkenny People today says...

"Set back for mart shopping centre"

".. is to be refused planning because of traffic concerns."

What a crock of shyte!!! Where were the concerns about the traffic at McDoghnut junction??? Traffic lights instead of roundabouts??? Please! :mad:

All they need to do it make an entrance one end and an exit the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

kleefarr wrote: »
    Kilkenny People today says...

"Set back for mart shopping centre"

".. is to be refused planning because of traffic concerns."

What a crock of shyte!!! Where were the concerns about the traffic at McDoghnut junction??? Traffic lights instead of roundabouts??? Please! :mad:

All they need to do it make an entrance one end and an exit the other.
    The anti Tesco mafia strikes again! :mad:

Feck sake. I'll probably have my arse slapped here for libel but I can't help thinking McDoughnut junction was a brown envelope job. Why else would you have a shopping centre/apartments/other stuff opening into an already gridlocked part of town?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You have got to wonder at times. The mart was/is never as bad for traffic.

It's probably the local vested interests at work again. I notice quite a few of the tenants/future tenants of McDoughnut junction are already in Kilkenny. Of course, they couldn't possibly let Tesco or Marks & Sparks in!! No way.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    The anti Tesco mafia strikes again! :mad:

Typical!!:mad: Kilkenny is thrown back into the dark ages again because the
    wrong people running our beloved city still think the earth is flat!:(

Wake Up Wan**rs!!!!..... 3 DUNNES STORES???? all of em Sh**e!

Time to move to carlow where the real shopping is:o

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

can understand the traffic thing, as greens bridge simply cannot take the volume, but why they haven't started on the inner relief road is beyond me. the plans were there 5 years ago!!

http://www.kilkennycoco.ie/cdp/cdpvol3/vol3/variation2.htm

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Why they don't build the new bridge between the comer road (where the new ring road hits it) and the freshford road (near the hospital/talbots inch) and then complete the ring is beyond me. Free up the traffic that doesn't want to be IN the town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Firetrap wrote: »
    Feck sake. I'll probably have my arse slapped here for libel but I can't help thinking McDoughnut junction was a brown envelope job. Why else would you have a shopping centre/apartments/other stuff opening into an already gridlocked part of town?

My thoughts exactly.

I feel CityMart has much more to bring to the city shopping wise on the basis of Tesco's and Mark and Spencers alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

djpaul wrote: »

Time to move to carlow where the real shopping is:o

indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭decies

Come to waterford where the real shopping is ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Well I visited McDonagh Junction for the first time, and last time, today. As I expected, it has awful tacky shops, and is an awful big empty place in general. It's like a patch of Dublin has been dumped in Kilkenny, even down to the street outside.

Advertisement