Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Islamic Art

• 17-05-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All,

I've been told that this plate (See attached image) probably has a phrase from the Quran. Is anyone able to translate it for me?

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Until someone gives you a more direct translation, I asked someone here and they said the sayings on the plate relate to "Virtues of Patience".

Quick google.
    http://www.islaam.net/main/display.php?id=890&category=12

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

More of this stuff would be good. That Islamic/Arabic caligraphy is sublime.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 elbowhost

I've been told that one of the sections can be pronounced 'Dul Gha Rashyer' but again I've no Idea what that means.

I believe my father in law found this plate in a jumble sale somewhere. It's very intricate, the "celtic" style interleaving around the rim is an interesting style.

Advertisement