Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Issues with owning more than one Vechile

Options
  • 17-05-2006 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Howdy folks,

I'm currently the owner of one car, But I need to get a Van for use at the weekends mostly, not for commercial use (nothing to do with business, it's for towing my hobby around).
    I would also like to buy a honda 50 (long story but I"ve always wanted one).

So that would leave me with a Car a van and a moped.
    Since every insurance website I look at is usless on the information front and anyone I call insists on asking for my life history before answering any questions I'm asking here.

Has anyone got any weperience on the legality and liinsurance issues in trying to do this?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You can own and drive as many vehicles as you like. It's up to you to decide if you can afford to run, tax, and insure them.

Typically, you can only use a no-claims bonus on any one vehicle at a time. Policies on second and subsequent vehicles will start off at 'full rate,' and will accumulate discounts and bonuses in their own right as time progresses.

Have a chat with your current insurance people, they may give you a deal on a second vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If the second vehicle (van) is only being used at weekends, you could maybe get some kind of reduced mileage deal.

I feel your pain with regards to ringing these people up though. I've had some particularly frustrating experiences when trying to get out of them what a potential car upgrade might cost. "What is the registration number?" is usually the first question followed by "When are you buying it?", and when I say that I haven't actually bought it yet, so it doesn't have one, they're stumped, plus they insist on asking you all your details all over again, despite the fact that they have them on file already :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Unfortunately you need a new policy (and NCB) with every car you own,
    Which is stupid, because you can’t drive more than one car at a time!

Bike policy should be cheap.

I have a classic car as a second car and it’s around 190 euro, but you must have a full time car also, and the policy is restricted to low mileage and can't use the classic for going to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

xs direct do a 3rd party only on practically any car with no yrs no claims for 1200 with 4K excess may sound steep but its handy for using a on 2nd car.

www.xsdirect.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

tried doing this a while back. As everyone else has said, they do start you off with no Ncb. It can seem very steep at the time, especially when you only need it for the weekend. Would you be able to get a 4x4 or estate instead?
    On a side note,honda 50s are amazing things!! You'll never look back....well maybe when the exhaust falls off! Nothing some bluetack wont fix!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

BRM wrote:
    xs direct do a 3rd party only on practically any car with no yrs no claims for 1200 with 4K excess may sound steep but its handy for using a on 2nd car.

www.xsdirect.ie/

There would generally be no problem with a car but the OP is referring to a van. Very few insurance companies will insure a commercial vehicle for private use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Its been hinted at before, but would you consider a classic?
    Maybe a cortina estate or some such would have low tax insurance and would not depreciate at all.

I guy put DL way has a Rover P5 that tow's a large boat about at weekends. Glad I am not paying the fuel bill though!:D

Advertisement