Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance / NCB Question

• 17-05-2006 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

I want to get myself a bike and i've got a few questions. I was hoping to find help here.
    Here is my situation: age 22, no ncb, PL third year on A. I've got tons of bike experience, but none that i could use to get a ncb, such as Motocross. So i don't mind (offically) starting off on a 250cc bike. In fact i'd rather start off on an much bigger bike, but don't we all :)

I've heard rumors that carol nash and aon are possibly going to get more strict and won't insure any more PL drivers, with the new test schemes coming in. i.e. shorter waiting time. Thats why i want to get started on my NCB for class A.

Now here comes my questions,
    (1)If i get insurance this year on a 125cc bike and then after a full year get a 250cc bike, will i get a 1year NCB on the 250??
    (2)I wonder will this safe me any money or is it a waste of time?

On the other hand i'm tempted to get 250cc straight off just so i do my full A licence, as i would prefere to the test on my own bike which i'm going to be used to.

(3)Is there much difference in insurance quotes between different 250cc bikes with 34bhp?
    (4)Is a 250cc bike about double the insurance than a 125cc as in a similar model? ie. Someone (with very similar stats as myself) i know got a quote of 1400euro on a 125cc, would a 250cc quote be about 3000euro ???

Any help is appriciated! Thanks in advance ;)

Martin

Comments

Ok, you are 22 with a PL. I'm assuming that the PL is for category A? If not go and get one as you are perfectly entitled to one.

Now, you have your prov. A licence. You can now go and get a 250 or bigger as long as the power is 25kw/33hp or less. There's also a rule about power to weight ratio too which i'm not 100% on.

What this means is that you can get a 33hp 250cc, or a 33hp 400cc like the honda bros. You can also get *factory* restricted bikes like the suzuki bandit, yamaha fazer etc etc.

About your insurance questions. The quickest way to get all your answers and dispell rumors would be to ring both companies and talk to them :) There is no real linearity between insurance groups (not cc based you know) and quotes.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

Thanks baz for the reply, it cleared a lot of my questions!

Yes, i have a PL class A. I know about the power to weight ratio, but the only problem i have is trying to find any factory restricted second hand. Is many/any on the market? I'm currently looking at buyandsell, autotrader/biketrader and bikebuyersguide. Is there any other sources to look for second hand bikes?

I suppose 250cc+ bikes with a dealer restriction is not allowed any more? If it was i'd have no bother finding any 400/500cc bike and then restricting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

baz8080 wrote:
    There's also a rule about power to weight ratio too which i'm not 100% on.QUOTE]

AFAIK it's less than or equal to 0.16 kw per kg.

I'm not sure about that. A factory restriced bike will have say group 5 or 6 insurance. A dealer restricted bike will have the same power but it will still be group 9,10,11 etc. So they are allowed but you wont be saving the money on insurance.

I think it's hard to find them second hand but keep an eye out on donedeal.ie also. Maybe you could ask your local dealer to keep an eye out for you.

My bros is 400cc, group 4 or 5 and legal (33hp). You could get a pretty clean one for 1500.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

do A1 NCB's count toward life on an A prov?

• Advertisement

A ncb is a ncb as far as i know. Any bike ncb counts but of course car and bike ncb's are separate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

hurrah then!

scooter ncb's count for A1 ncb's, i thought that was a bit odd, but i aint complainin :D

bollox, if i would have known about the NCB thing a few years ago, i would've bought a scooter, insure it and leave a the shed for a few years. That would've saved me a lot of money now. :'(

Cool news about the bros 400 been orginally a 33hp bike though :) Excactly the sort of bike i wanted to get anyways.

Actually am i right by saying, first time driver on PL class A is allowed up to insurance class 5/6?? Cause that'd make it much easier to find a bike i can get insurance for

You are allowed any group really, as long as you can afford it. The only concern is that you keep to the power limit. I would ring them up now and ask for a quote on a bros - they dont mind you ringing up just to price.

I see. Thanks for the help baz! I might have a few more questions as i go along.

• Advertisement

I rang carlow nash and they won't give a quote to anyone with less than 2 years experience/ncb and a PL. :(

So once more no competition in the market, since that AON is the ONLY one that'll give me insurance. Pretty much the same thing with car insurance, there is only quinn direct that will give insurance to people starting off. the pain...

Anyways, since that AON do installments, i'll be able to afford a nice bike in the end of next month. :) Either a Bros400 or a factory restricted GS500. seen a few of them around now, but don't which is the better choice... i.e. acceleration, handling/weight etc... Chances are that the GS is too heavy, but as one of u was sayin, restriction doesn't take away acceleration, but only end speed.

If you can buy new then buy new. You have to remember that a bros will be at least 10-12 years old (assuming they were stopped in '94?).

yeah i thing bros were 88 to 94. Well, i can't afford to buy new, but there are 2 lovely gs500's in the new bikesellersguide. "tryin to remember details....." 97 for 2600 and 01 for 3700 i think. both factory restricted :):):)

Still though, the insurance is 3000euro for group 5 and 2600 for group 4. Both the bros and the gs500f.r. are group 5. I don't think i'll using the bike every day (my car has got a roof ;) ) , so with that kinda price of insurance, a bros will probably have to do.

I can always buy a different bike in 6 months, when my bank account has overcome the big beatin. :D

Advertisement