Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal ground frequencies in Ireland?

Options
  • 17-05-2006 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to get a 4 or 6 channel radio to control cars and trucks, is it OK to use any Plane Tx, or are there special Ground only/Sky only bands?

Ta muchly,
    /c

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The only legal freqiencies are 27mhz and 35mhz I think. Though if your driving cars and trucks its a bit pointless buying a 4-6 channel radio, a 2-3 channel will do perfect. If you really want one towerhobbies have a 4 channel radio thats 27mhz which is legal, at a good price and is cheaper than what you will pay for it in ROR:) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXBCP2**&P=7

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

40mhz too maybe ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

yeah 40mhz is too i beleave, alot of the toy cars come in 27mhz and 40mhz

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

27 & 40 = surface only
    35 = aircraft only

coolwings wrote:
    27 & 40 = surface only
    35 = aircraft only
    My 27mhz radio works in the glider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Frequencies used vary from country to country, so it's entirely possible that you could be using that frequency, only problem is it's illegal (I think) and probably not very safe. Though this particular case isn't AS bad as if 27Mhz is only used for RC cars here, you're not gonna do much "real life" damage by one of them crashing because of you.

By "real life damage" I mean someone/something getting hurt, of course the driver in question wouldn't be too happy if his model got bust because of interference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

According to ODTR:

Surface model control 26.96 to 27.25Mhz

Model aircraft control 35.01Mhz to 35.25MHz

Surface Model control 40.66 to 40.7Mhz

I use 40Mhz 4 ch in my tank...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=1968

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Plug wrote:

Thats fine until someone turns on their car on the ground while you are flying your glider... on the same frequency...
    As Fobia said.. God help anyone that gets hit with an out of control glider :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Yep... This week end, in a meeting, 2 dead and 4 in the hospital...
    Think twice ! (even if, in this case, the pilot did nothing wrong)

But you can expect some changes in the near futur about model practice...

Fred

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Yep... This week end, in a meeting, 2 dead and 4 in the hospital...
    Think twice ! (even if, in this case, the pilot did nothing wrong)

But you can expect some changes in the near futur about model practice...

Fred

What happened, where was this meeting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭loopingfred

Hungary this week end.
    Pitts S12, 2.5 mtrs, 20 Kg piloted by the famous Stefan Wurm (not a beginner !).
    Seems that the radio was jammed by a local radio station... But, knowing 1 guy close member of the CIAM, he believe that the jamming come from a military base nearby...But if so, we will never know.

The pilot has been released from prison monday, and he is free to go as he did not make any "mistakes"... But surely, the meeting organizer will be in trouble now...

Fred

Plug wrote:

Well - it works at the moment.
    Until the time it doesn't work.
    Then your model is coming down at accellerating speed.

But the problem is .... you have no control at all as to when it stops working.
    Maybe in the wild. Maybe inline with a family member /friend.
    But you have no control.
    You have no control - but you have full resposibility, and full liability.

It is up to random timing when someone legitimately uses their 27am radio on their car or CB radio while you're in the air "hoping for the best".

coolwings wrote:
    It is up to random timing when someone legitimately uses their 27am radio on their car or CB radio while you're in the air "hoping for the best".

Hmm..
    Interesting point there.

Sometimes at our club a couple of lads using 27Mhz seem to suddenly have no signal/control over their cars.. Could this be down to someone using a CB radio? :confused:

Makes a good case for using the 40Mhz Trannies doesn't it ?

tallus wrote:

That's all that I will use.
    I have a 40 AM
    and a
    40FM set. ;)

Got 40fm in my hyper .... the rest are 27mhz but I have a spare 40mhz reciever that I can put in to any of my cars and use the Gemini II trannie with.
    Afaik HPI models come with 27mhz as standard I know all of mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Thanks lads, Great info, didn't want to be the guy that brought down a plane through interference. Think I'll go 40 FM as I've already got the 27Mhz 3ch pistol for the other car. I'm looking for more channels to control extra lights etc. I've headlights and taillights on a manual switch, Full beams from the 3rd chan, brakes are spliced of the throttle channel and reversed. I want the extra channels for foglights/hazard lights/Nitrous purge/whatever.

tallus wrote:
    That is what I use for surface models - both cars & boats.

coolwings wrote:
    Well - it works at the moment.Until the time it doesn't work.Then your model is coming down at accellerating speed.It is up to random timing when someone legitimately uses their 27am radio on their car or CB radio while you're in the air "hoping for the best".

I don,t think my glider would do too much damage, I mean its only made out of balsawood. I would think an out of control car or truck would do a hell of alot more damage in a croud. The model that killed the 2 people in hungary was alot bigger and heavier than mine. If 27mhz radio gets interferred I don,t understand why they make and sell them:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

just look what this one did

28287.jpg

• Advertisement

ah.....I think someone is having us on, look at the side, it,s smashed up and above where the plane "crashed" theres another crack in the window, theres no way that cracked the window in both places. Also that plane is for indoor use, its more of a toy than anything else and they are way too light to cause damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

it was on the funny pics thread so i just thought id show you

It,s funny alright, I just feel sorry on the poor golf, the owner is evil it should have a nice set of rims on it!

I think you're right, and it is a setup picture.

I have actually seen a glow engine model crash into a car windscreen a couple of years ago. Probably doing about 40 mph in a shallow dive into the car.

It had about the force of a sledgehammer blow. There was broken glass in the boot! The laminated windscreen held it, in a mesh of broken but still joined glass bits. That was due to a failed receiver battery going dead during the flight.

When you see the likes of that happen it gives you a healthy respect for such things.

I feel sorry for that German pilot .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

coolwings wrote:
    I have actually seen a glow engine model crash into a car windscreen a couple of years ago. Probably doing about 40 mph in a shallow dive into the car.

...it wasn't in Galway was it? I've seen that happen...twice, I think :)

Luckily the cars were far enough away that they werent dangerous, but it shows the power they can have alright..

:eek: ...An engine to the head would be sore espically travelling at 40mph.

Fobia wrote:
    ...it wasn't in Galway was it? I've seen that happen...twice, I think :)...
    No - not in Galway.
    Once at Kestrel I saw a plane hit a windscreen (battery failure - engine defaulted to full throttle same time as receiver & servos died)
    And another time at three Counties - loss of control saw one spin down onto the roof of a parked car. Interesting size dent in roof!
    Both were a couple of years ago.

On kirstys home videos one chap gets a slap of an airplane in the back of his head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 trudnai

Hungary this week end.
    Pitts S12, 2.5 mtrs, 20 Kg piloted by the famous Stefan Wurm (not a beginner !).
    Seems that the radio was jammed by a local radio station... But, knowing 1 guy close member of the CIAM, he believe that the jamming come from a military base nearby...But if so, we will never know.

The pilot has been released from prison monday, and he is free to go as he did not make any "mistakes"... But surely, the meeting organizer will be in trouble now...

Fred

Well, I am Hungarian, but please, do not blame me, I was not there :) It is shame that nobody measured the place against radio interferences. I know that there are quite a few chaps with the radio amatour as a hobby, so they could help on such things. But even if not I would test the place for couple of days before decided to having a serious compatition over there and would ask everybody to switch off CBs, HAM radios and other radio transmitters during the flying time. Also I believe that the way of sending those signals are far more outdated, so we, as RC modellers should have use a much more reliable and protected way to control our expensive and dangerous 'toys' -- but that is the story of the manufacturers.

Tamas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Spektrum have a system for air use, but at the moment it's limited to parkflyers etc. The range strength is not up the the larger models yet.
    But when they do launch it, it should be a big help towards eliminating interferance....

Advertisement