Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Modem and Netgear Router question

Options
  • 17-05-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

I've noticed recently I've been getting awfull speeds from NTL, and I've narrowed it down to my router (netgear WGR614v2). When I have the modem plugged directly into my PC, I get proper stable speed. But when I have it connected to my router, which I then am connected through, I get awfull speed.

Could it be that my router sucks? Would it have anything to do with the fact that NTL is cable, and I WAS using the router for Eircom DSL before? Do you need to get special cable routers?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mang87 wrote:
    I've noticed recently I've been getting awfull speeds from NTL, and I've narrowed it down to my router (netgear WGR614v2). When I have the modem plugged directly into my PC, I get proper stable speed. But when I have it connected to my router, which I then am connected through, I get awfull speed.

Could it be that my router sucks? Would it have anything to do with the fact that NTL is cable, and I WAS using the router for Eircom DSL before? Do you need to get special cable routers?

The basic answer to your question is no. You will see here: http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v2.asp

That it is actually described as being for cable dsl connections. Are you sure you have it set up correctly? If the speed has only deteriorated recently it may be that one of your neighbours now has a wireless connection and they are clashing. If you download netstumbler it will show you the other networks if any around you - http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Have you security on the network? is there any possibility someone else is on your connection too?

Have you the latest firmware for the router and the wireless card?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,336 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can you log in to the router to check settings? Or check your docunentation?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

Just a little more info:

I'm connected to the router VIA Ethernet cable, the wireless function is for my sister on the other side of the house(only reason I have the router)

I don't think there would be anyone leaching my connection. I do check the "Attached devices" menu on the router all the time, and it's only ever me and my sister connected.

I will try updating the firmware, but I am almost sure I have the latest.

I used Net Stumbler (cheers for link btw) and found something under "SSIDs" called Christine. How do I know if this is another network, or if it is someone connecting to mine?

This only displays Networks, and not users on networks, yeah? Sorry I'm rather new at this, no idea what I'm looking atm I'm afraid.

mang87 wrote:
    I used Net Stumbler (cheers for link btw) and found something under "SSIDs" called Christine. How do I know if this is another network, or if it is someone connecting to mine?

This only displays Networks, and not users on networks, yeah? Sorry I'm rather new at this, no idea what I'm looking atm I'm afraid.

Christine is the name of another wireless network nearby that your wireless card can 'see' - the important thing is to check what channel this network is using and if it is close to yours you can change it using the Netgear setup screen. Also do you have your security turned on on your network?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Odds are ye are both on channel 6 move your channel to 11 or so.

Net stumbler will show what channels your ssid is on and next doors.

The SSID is another network.

To move the channel you will need to disable any turbo g stuff if enabled

NutJob wrote:
    Odds are ye are both on channel 6 move your channel to 11 or so.

Net stumbler will show what channels your ssid is on and next doors.

The SSID is another network.

To move the channel you will need to disable any turbo g stuff if enabled

AFAIK this model does not have any turbo g stuff so dont worry about that.

I've not got the WEP stuff enabled not been able to figure it out yet ya see...

But just say the networks were getting mixed up, that wouldn't effect my speed, would it? Since I'm connected to the router via ethernet cable?

Advertisement