Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing Side Indicators - Golf Mark V

Options
  • 17-05-2006 4:13pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

A gob****e broke the lense on the indicator in my wing mirror on my 2-week old Golf. So I got a replacement module but the attaching screws are well behind the whole mirror assembly.

Has anyone a link to a diagram of how to get at these screws ? I had thought it was a lense rather than a module which included the LEDs which I would have had to replace..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm basing this on previous models so it might not be correct - but does the plastic backing for the mirror clip off complete with the indicator lens attached?

I haven't replaced any on the newer models - yet...........

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Nope. Thats what I had hoped but the indicator portion is a sealed unit comprising the lens, LEDs and connections.

parsi wrote:
    Nope. Thats what I had hoped but the indicator portion is a sealed unit comprising the lens, LEDs and connections.
    What I mean is the whole painted mirror backing - into which the lens is fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭BRM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

also check out vwvortex.com they have great manuals on how to do the work yourself ans where to find stuff.its the best car website ive been on in ages.the forums are great.

Thanks for the very useful & informative links lads.

@crosstownk - I get what you mean. From what I can see the indicator module is screwed to the mirrors "innards" and this is seems to be screwed somehow into the units body. I can see the screws I need to remove but can't access them wit a driver..

In the interim I've glued back the broken bits (got quite used to seeing the side indicator out my window in the past 2 weeks) but will probably ending up bringing it to the local crash repair guy (who's quite decent).

I've an exploded view of a 2005 Passat mirror here which is quite similar to a Golf. There seems to be a problem with uploading it even though it meets all the requirements. PM me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

EDIT : Here it is..... passatmirrors1ne.jpg

Crosstownk - that's excellent - thanks very much.

Advertisement