Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart telecom & gaming?

• 17-05-2006 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

A smart telecom rep called around today, and The 6meg offer had me well ready to sign up, until I interrogated him about the upload rates, which came out to be 512k.

Would this be enough to say, have 4 people playing cs at the same time?

edit; obviously I mean 4 people connecting through the line - not hosting a server

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, it shouldn't be a problem. Games typically don't have high upload speeds.

BTW 512k is about the best you can do without spending silly money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I had a 2m up/down line before and it made a huge difference. I used to get a ping of 20 to the UK because of my upload speed beating the 10/2mb local uk players.

Trust me it makes the diff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Tellox wrote:
    A smart telecom rep called around today, and The 6meg offer had me well ready to sign up, until I interrogated him about the upload rates, which came out to be 512k.

Would this be enough to say, have 4 people playing cs at the same time?

edit; obviously I mean 4 people connecting through the line - not hosting a server

1/2 m/bit up is absolutely loads for 4 people playing at the same time. I've had 4 here with just 384 up and it worked fine in the past! Make sure you tell them to turn off interleaving on your connection though (get it in writing) for super low pings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Tellox - 512/4 = 128k each upload is scraping it, but its OK. I don't know about net settings in counter strike, but in quake3 for example, in order to avail of the smoothest connection (including cl_maxpackets 125) then 128k isn't quite good enough.

It will be enough to have 4 people playing cs at the same time, but if you're all pro-gamers who want top quality, then its pushing it.

Advertisement