Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up some work on the side - need advice

Options
  • 17-05-2006 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi Guys,

I'm an engineer and I was thinking of doing snagging for new houses outside of my own job. If I were to do this would I have to set up as a company or how does it work? Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

You would have to declare the money you recieve from the side work to the revenue by fillin in a form 11. You wouldn't necesarily have to register a company although you would have unlimited liability if something went wrong due to work you carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Jack_Flash wrote:
    Hi Guys,

I'm an engineer and I was thinking of doing snagging for new houses outside of my own job. If I were to do this would I have to set up as a company or how does it work? Any advice would be great.

Best thing to do is to speak to an accountant. One thing that will be a must if decide to go down this road though is to arrange a decent level of Professional Indemnity Insurance. It protects you plus the fact that you are more likely to get work with it in place rather than not having it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jack_Flash

Is Professional Indemnity Insurance expensive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Jack_Flash

mkdon05 wrote:
    You would have to declare the money you recieve from the side work to the revenue by fillin in a form 11. You wouldn't necesarily have to register a company although you would have unlimited liability if something went wrong due to work you carried out.

You say I'd have "unlimited liability"? Did you mean limited liability?

Advertisement