Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seen a good one this morning...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The_Magoo wrote:
    Also how can you state overtaking on the inside is so dangerous

Here's your answer:
    peasant wrote:
    Undertaking is just waaay to risky ...these bumbling daydreamers are just too likely to suddenly pull over while you're right next to them

Many people are completely oblivious of other traffic around them. Don't look, don't use their mirrors, don't indicate. Undertaking is dangerous. For that matter, overtaking cars driven by drivers like that doing 50km/h when you are doing 120km/h is very dangerous too
    The_Magoo wrote:
    when it is a common practice in several other nations?

Only in countries where pretty much all traffic is doing pretty much the same speed (US). Totally unsuitable in Germany e.g. Oh and in other countries people look before they act :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Here's one I just don't get at all (come across this several times)

Quiet time on the motorway or dual carriageway ...no traffic ...going the full legal speed (on the left hand lane)

Run up to a lane hogger, doing 80 on the "fast lane" of an otherwise empty road.

So i settle in the left lane behind him ...no movement ...I move over ...nothing... I indicate ...nothing ....I flash the lights ....nothing ...I beep ...the guy slows down ...I mention for him to move over ...he finally does and lets me pass ...

And then the idiot just pulls out into the "fast lane" again !!

Why ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

I believe the scientific name for those people is Stupidus Fnckinus Muppetus.
    The etymology of which escapes me at the moment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

Ah.. so pull in behind the overtaking lane hogger.. give em a flash .. and then.. overtake them.. in the correct lane.. .. and then watch in your rear view mirror as they pull into overtaking lane again.. that makes sense..

I love driving in Ireland.. I really do. I'd bet money, if you sent out a leaflet.. to every house hold in Irealnd.. about say.. how to use a roundabout.. half the poeple from what see would read it and go 'Sure that's wrong! That's not how ya do it all!'

I rarely even have my radio on driving now a days you gotta be so .. prepared..

TK

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

NeMiSiS wrote:
    .. and then watch in your rear view mirror as they pull into overtaking lane again.. that makes sense..

TK

Yep ...especially so, when you're watching from about 50 meters distance, after having pulled into the correct lane again, having properly indicated, left a safe distance and all that ...

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Longrangedriver

(1)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by eoin_s
    So, an otherwise empty M50 and a car in the right hand lane is going 80KMH, do you have to slow down and match his speed if you are in the left lane?

(2)
    unkel wrote:
    Yes, or rather slow down to below his speed. After all he is in the overtaking lane, so he is overtaking you, isn't he?

(1) My interperition is: when someone is doing less than the specified max speed ie 120kmph in the overtaking lane, its okay to 'undertake' them once you don't go any quicker than the specified max limit. :rolleyes:

(2) He/she may be only hogging as mentioned above, or just an asshole who wants to p!ss others off. Or could be on of our older drivers whom thinks they are on the continent, of many I see each day, who like to think they have to drive on the right. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

MercMad wrote:
    Undertaking, and that's what it is when you pass ANYONE by using the left lane ( unless as mentioned you are in slow moving traffic) is one of the most dangerous problems we have on the roads !

I cant believe there are people here who still believe they are right to do so !

You folk need penalty points !!

Take a chill pill, stay behind, its not like you are going to get wherever any faster, you just get annoyed and aggressive and thats worse !

Relax !

omg how many things are wrong with that? Americans are allowed to overtake on either side but you don't think we can manage it? If the dip****s hogging the overtaking lane ever got it into their head to move over, they're supposed to check the lane is clear before doing so. I 'undertake' people every single day - there's always inconsiderate assholes in the overtaking lane that just won't move over. Coming to work this morning on largely empty roads I passed three people in the overtaking lane for no reason at all.
    The simple stupidity of it amazes me. I can't conceive of one reason for them to be in the overtaking lane on an empty road. It's inconsiderate and illegal. A lot of times when you do undertake them they accelerate to try and prevent you. Who do you think is more dangerous?
    I can't believe you would propose doing nothing. I've given up trying to make the ***** move over so I just pass them carefully and safely and continue on my way. Much more relaxing then being stuck behind them.

And of course you get there faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Blitzkeiger Americans also have a higher death rate than we do! (8.4 v 14.8 per100,000).

My own advice is to undertake only as an absolute last resort and to do with your dipped lights switch on, drop back slightly ease left and pause then if the slowcoach has'nt reacted (ie pulled left as well!) hit the loud pedal and get past as quick as possible without getting arrested.

The other point I'd make is that overtaking on short urban/suburban jouneys is almost entirly a waste of energy due to congestion, junctions and lights.

Mike.

Advertisement