Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OCD - a God complex: says John Waters

Options
  • 17-05-2006 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the articles in The Voice Today (www.thevoice.ie) in which John Waters claims that OCD is "one of a host of escalating symptoms of atheistic society in which the contagation of disbelief is [due to] the self-imposed pressure to become 'god' of our own lives is, literally' driving us mad"? 14th April, 28th April. What do yous think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Apparently another thread is going to link us to the article so we'll have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The Voice is a laughble Christian rag, who cares.

EDIT:

To elaborate. The notion of a person becoming the "god of their own lives" is another example of a typical type of attack on secular liberalism. They make the mistake of assuming that whatever replaces "God" in an Atheist's life is similar in nature and perceived with equal reverance/fanaticism. For example, a typical Creatist's attack on scientists is "Evolution is your new God!" Yes, evolution has replaced God as the explanation for life's diversity, but its an entirely different concept based on sound principles, not myth/legend/superstition.

Similarily, dismissing someone's Atheistic beliefs as becoming their own God is sensationalist tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Zillah wrote:
    The Voice is a laughble Christian rag, who cares.

Exactly, and heaven help me I nearly went to work for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I remember that...

EDIT:

Woah, did the original post always have the OCD part in it? I must have missed that. Suffice to say, thats the biggest load of unscientific crap I've ever heard.

Advertisement