Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School suspensions

Options
  • 17-05-2006 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭

My 15 year old son took it upon himself to *mitch* on Monday afternoon together with a friend and spend it in the library in town (established) - had they not been seen by a teacher nipping into the shop nearby for a coke, the school, and I, would have been totally unaware. I am pissed off with both my son and the school - surely they would have known earlier that he wasn't present? They only realised he was missing because he had been *seen* I was rung after the end of the school day and told that he hadn't been in class.
    Yesterday he was hauled up before the principal and given a one day suspension (today)of which I was informed. I am extremely irritated that he was not given any work to do, nothing- basically a day off for skipping an afternoon of school.

Yesterday, son no2 (18) went into the computer room during his Irish class(from which he is exempt) I agree he should have still been in the class studying other stuff but was seen by the principal and told not to come into school today, *stay at home with your brother* This I was NOT informed of by the school. I am fuming. Surely a school needs to give parent a reason/notice that their child is going to be suspended/not allowed into school? At the very least be informed of it.
    Eldest is totally non plussed, ten more days of school and it is finished, but my younger son is worried because he was threatened with not being allowed back in September. They have never ever been in any sort of trouble at school before, not ever.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest you check the schools code of conduct most schools issues copies to parents and children and in most cases have them sign a copy which has to be returned to the school like a contract.
    I would suggest you ask the school for a copy of it's attendance policy and proceedures and it's disapilnary polices and proceedures and start from there.
    When is the next Parents asscoation meeting does the school have one and
    when is the next board of management meeting ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

Well I don't know about your son's school, but most schools I know woudln't ring home just because a pupil is absent, just expect a letter of explanation the next day.

It seems a bit over the top to suspend a pupil for going to the computor room without permission, happens daily in my school and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭dragona

He was at school in the morning, but skipped school after lunch.The school always gets a call by 8.45 on any day they are absent, plus a letter of explanation the day they return.If my son was there in the morning, and suddenly not there in the afternoon, and I haven't telephoned to give an explanation, I would expect to be told.
    I wasn't told because I believe the school had no idea until they were spotted by a teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

dragona wrote:
    He was at school in the morning, but skipped school after lunch.The school always gets a call by 8.45 on any day they are absent, plus a letter of explanation the day they return.If my son was there in the morning, and suddenly not there in the afternoon, and I haven't telephoned to give an explanation, I would expect to be told.
    I wasn't told because I believe the school had no idea until they were spotted by a teacher.

Schools simply cant police these things, it's impossible. I goto a school with over 640 pupils, and prolly less than 30 staff/teachers on the premisis at any one time, I'm never asked for a note explaining absence, nor have they phoned home about me not coming in till 10:20 for most of this week.
    This could be just because I'm a 6th year, but tbh, I cant see any difference with the younger students. But, in the secondary school I attended from 1st-4th year, it was policed much better (prolly cause of alot less students actually in the school) but even when notes were checked, and phone calls were made if absent to much, they simply wont ring home because your child failed to show up after lunch.
    So, to conclude that little story, I guess all schools are different (I would know) but I'm pretty damn sure NO school has a perfect follow-up rate if students go missing during the day, late for class etc...

Advertisement