Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC labs:Talking on the phone

Options
  • 17-05-2006 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

ok was in a computer lab in earlsfort terrace,

There were 2 other people and me. One guy's phone rings and he proceeds to have a general conversation for about 5-10 mins. He was talking quite loudly but people talking on phones doesn't really bother me except maybe when I'm studying. Even then, I wouldnt really say anything.

About 20 mins later my phone rings and I start having a conversation with my mother. a few minutes into the conversation the very same guy has the nerve to come over to me and ask me if I would mind 'making my phone call outside'.

I thought fair enough and left and when I came in I realised that he had in fact made a phone call earlier. Unfortunately he left soon after before I could make a snide remark about his double standards :mad: (hence the need to vent my frustration on boards! :D:D )

but it got me thinking how acceptable do people think taking phonecalls is in the computer labs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Texting and such doesn't bother me, phone calls I've got used to. If it's a quick call I think it's pretty ok, no point in being draconian about it and the labs aren't the same as the library, you have to expect a degree of noise there.

I guess I'm just bitter cos I got asked to stop talking to my friend (who was present, as opposed to on the phone) in G6 a while ago....a while ago as in near the start of the year when nobody had even started doing real college work. I wasn't even being loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The guys a wanker and you would have been well within your rights to poke him in the eye with your pen. I don't like people talking on phones in computer labs or any other quiet environment where people may be trying to work, but would tolerate it if they were trying to be quite and not causing too much of a disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I don't mind if people answer the phone in the labs, as the labs aren't designed to be a quiet study area. People are always having conversations in the labs, and so I don't see it being a problem if they answer their phone there.

It's simply manners, the labs aren't there for recreation. Quite conversation's fine but some people just take the piss!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

There is a fair bit of recreation that goes on there though, game playing, the odd juggler etc. Speaking as someone who spends pretty much all of his time in a lab, as long as they aren't shouting, or listening to music/films full blast it's grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i cant comment on labs as i dont go to any (i'm in B+L), but what really drives me insane is the tendency for people to answer their phone in the lib, have a 30 sec conversation in which everyone participates, because everyone hears whats going on, and then the idiot decides to take it outside after disrupting everyone

rant over. sorry!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

ha! I'd like to see someone telling someone to take the phone call outside Eng 321, especially if the teller-off-er wasn't an engineer :D

It must be the meds in Earlsfort Terrace who think they can make everyone shut up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Red Alert wrote:
    It must be the meds in Earlsfort Terrace who think they can make everyone shut up ;)

Nah, just smelly engineers! ;):D

Ah yea the guy was a prick, but in general it's not on to be taking calls in the labs, easy enough to take it outside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's alright to answer the phone, that's no problem, but having a 10 minute conversation? That's a bit much. Just answer the phone, say "hang on a minute", and go out to the hall. It's just manners.

What's fairly annoying is when someone has their phone on a really loud tone for messages, and they're texting people in the labs... JUST TURN IT ON SILENT!!! I'm there typing an essay and a f*cking siren starts goin off, and some girl's there giggling!

There was actually some girl in Daedalus talkin using Skype or somethin, on her laptop... she was French. And she was hot.

So I didn't mind :cool:

DaveMcG wrote:
    It's alright to answer the phone, that's no problem, but having a 10 minute conversation? That's a bit much. Just answer the phone, say "hang on a minute", and go out to the hall. It's just manners.

What's fairly annoying is when someone has their phone on a really loud tone for messages, and they're texting people in the labs... JUST TURN IT ON SILENT!!! I'm there typing an essay and a f*cking siren starts goin off, and some girl's there giggling!

There was actually some girl in Daedalus talkin using Skype or somethin, on her laptop... she was French. And she was hot.

So I didn't mind :cool:
    When they start giggling about it the last straw:mad:
    Who could be mad at a hot girl talking french:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭BKtje

i dont mind phone conversation or talking but laptop speakers while plaing cs really got on my nerves in the first year lab at the end of the year. All ya could hear was gunshots followed by "Counter Terrorists Win".

When your trying to get your head around some problem its a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Blowfish wrote:
    There is a fair bit of recreation that goes on there though, game playing, the odd juggler etc. Speaking as someone who spends pretty much all of his time in a lab, as long as they aren't shouting, or listening to music/films full blast it's grand.
    In a way though, *because* we live in our labs, CS (and G15 in science) are different to other places. In somewhere like the LGs in arts, it's likely to be a good bit quieter in general (apart from the usual snotty D4 "ohmoigawd look what's on her bebo", but that's beside the point), because people will in general be there specifically to work. In our labs, people are both working and timewasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

In somewhere like the LGs in arts, it's likely to be a good bit quieter in general (apart from the usual snotty D4 "ohmoigawd look what's on her bebo", but that's beside the point), because people will in general be there specifically to work.

Reminds me of the time the four girls were on Bebo in a row, obviously together, as they kept pointing things out on eachother's screens and giggling wildly. They shut up when I asked them to, but three or four people thanked me for asking them to keep it down.

I don't mind people texting, esp. if their phones are on silent. I don't mind people answering their phones and leaving to take the call if there's lots of work going on (in the evenings when there's almost nobody there it doesn't matter as much). But I hate full-blown conversations when people are trying to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

B-K-DzR wrote:
    i dont mind phone conversation or talking but laptop speakers while plaing cs really got on my nerves in the first year lab at the end of the year. All ya could hear was gunshots followed by "Counter Terrorists Win".

When your trying to get your head around some problem its a right pain.

Tell me about it :D

Advertisement