Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals board

Options
  • 17-05-2006 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

How does the appeals board work? If I remember the xmas exams the appeals board was over before we even had our results. I'm pretty sure one of our lectures is insisting on using CA towards our end semester result, aswell as examining us on the whole years course content rather then the semester... both of which go against our course handbook. She's a bit of a weapon and very likely to fail people... so I'm just getting my advice incase the worst happens.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

damn first years not knowing how things work...

In Bolton St. at least this is what happens:

- There's a list outside the exams office which gives the dates and times that your exam board review meeting convenes. You could also ask one of your lecturers when this will be as they have to go to this meeting. This is basically where they laugh at everyone who has failed (i.e. ME) and decide which girls to pass based on how much flesh they've shown off during the year. Mine is on 20th june, which I was told by a disgruntled lecturer of mine was the latest date possible - oh no's.... I hope he didnt have to postpone his summer holiday....

- After they've decided who to pass/fail - and presumably eaten all the coffee and dougnuts which are freely provided to them thanks to our captitation fees - they pass the **** list to the Exam Supervisor, Anne Hayes in Bolton St (I luv you anne, plz changy my fail to a pass) - where she makes up a nice little list and posts it out on the the exam results notice boards. If you see the word 'Refer' that means you've failed, nice - repeats are in early september

- Under the regulations you have 3 days to submit an application to appeal your result. You will get a copy of your results in the post about a week or so after they're posted on the notice boards at which time it will be too late to submit an appeal so make sure you know when they're going up on the board; things to include in your appeal are, my cat died, I shat myself, I went blind cos when the examiner handed me the paper I saw down her top and the sight of her wrinkly old tits is still imprinted on my corneas, and so forth - bonus points if you can attribute the cause of your failure to negligence on behalf of DIT (better support bras 4 staff plz)

*** This year DIT has gone all high tech and stuff and I believe they are making the results available online shortly after your exam review board has concluded so you dont need to go into town to find out you've failed and waste money on pay&display. If your course is modularised go to http://www.dit.ie/modularisation - mine isnt modularised though and my results will be posted up on WebCT http://webcourses.dit.ie

Anyway that is all I know from my experience of failing courses in DIT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Yeah, but is the appeals board just a case of them getting an independant person to re-check the exams, or is it a "I suffered emotional trauma, pass me cause I can't take responsibility for my actions rarr rarr rarr".
    For instance, in one of our exams we were examined on stuff from the first sememster, yet our course is meant to be modularised. Is that grounds for an appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Yeah, but is the appeals board just a case of them getting an independant person to re-check the exams, or is it a "I suffered emotional trauma, pass me cause I can't take responsibility for my actions rarr rarr rarr".
    For instance, in one of our exams we were examined on stuff from the first sememster, yet our course is meant to be modularised. Is that grounds for an appeal?

from the ditsu website:

'Some Grounds NOT to appeal on

The Appeals procedure is a serious procedure that is strict in its rules. The personal circumstance is an allowance made during the marking process, and the recheck is to check for admin errors, which there rarely are. The only grounds for appeal past this are the 3 grounds given above in the appeal section. You cannot appeal on the grounds:

* That the exam didn't follow previous formats or the format you expected
    * That someone you know did better than you when you would usually score very similarly
    * That your lecturer didn't provide pilot papers. Its nice when they do, but they're not obliged to
    * That you scored well in all your continuous assessments in the subject during the year. Terminal exams and continuous assessments are separate things and as such have no reflection on one another.
    * That you didn't do a lab or class you needed to have done. This is not the exam boards fault.
    * That you 'think' you should have done better. Appeals that start with, 'I hoped to do better....', I was disappointed with my mark.', or 'I had to work to make money', will just be turned away. The way you 'feel' you've done does not fall under the 3 grounds for appeal.'

so the first point on that should maybe answer your question. but sure, fook it, appeal anyway, thats what the board gets paid for.

Ah, I don't even think I'll need to appeal, I'm confident enough that I passed.

But if the exam is contradictory to the course handbook, surely that's an issue? I mean, one of our lecturers wanted to change the date an assessment was due and he had to get the whole class to sign a statement saying that it was ok, so we wouldn't be able to appeal on the grounds that we were unaware of the changing date.
    I dunno, I just feel if the course is meant to be modularised, and everyone says it's modularised including the exam handbook, if a lecturer decides to go against it... there should be some sort of appeal available.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

that is true, but as i understand it, the lecturer will be on the appeals board, and as one of my lecturers last year explained to me

'lecturers dont get fired, the only way they leave is if they want to. so if there is a big kerfuffle, that lecturer simply lectures a new topic'

now this raises two questions,

a) would the lecturer bother argueing their corner in such job security
    b)what the lecturers can get away with with such job security

but yeah, id appeal, but get all of your class to appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

what about appealing degree project results?

they say appeals are very serious issues, i'd also imagine that they would re-check any degree project that was deemed to "not pass"

Ah, I doubt I'll have to go to ye olde appeals board. I failed one exam, but I was expecting to fail it. Everything else appears rosey. Yay.

Advertisement