Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports - Complain about them!

• 17-05-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.skysports.com/skysports/...iry/1,,,00.html

I recommend everybody go there and let their feelings heard, finally might get some change

Heres what I wrote

The commentary from Sky Sports tonight was utterly atrocious.

Andy Grey constantly complains about him not understanding the decisions make by the Barca manager who has won the league twice in a row and a CL. Perhaps the problem is with Grey, not with the Barca manager?
    Beyond that, his bias towards Arsenal was absolutely unbelievably. I'm sure you will recieve a flood of complaints about him tonight, but he was honastly atrocious. I had to switch off the commentary because he was so annoying.

As for Jamie Redknapp, why is he even in the studio? Could you please point to me anything he said that was insightful to anybody who isn't a 12 year old child. What makes him an even worse pundit is that he interupts the good pundits. Guillet(who is fantastic) was making some interesting points, was cut off by Redknapp.

I understand that your goal is to create news, so I understand the conduct of your interviewers towards Henry and Wenger, but to focus on the match as a whole, the champions league final, and to continue talking and talking about refereeing decisions. The game is about football, not the ref.

Just an example there about the pundits:
    Redknapp:
    'Henry is a talisman. Wenger has done well in getting players in. Nobody can replace Henry. Walcott will not replace Henry. They are gona struggle if Henry goes'

Guillet:
    'Arsenal will have to change their way of playing, because everything is focused on Henry. It will be a revolution in Arsenal'

Which sounds like a twelve year old, which sounds like an old pro?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why didnt you watch another channel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

grow up, and calm down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Yea you show them :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I sent an email

'You can get to Falkirk if you think I am paying for anymore of this ****e!!' *

* only kidding :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Andy Grey constantly complains about him not understanding the decisions make by the Barca manager who has won the league twice in a row and a CL. Perhaps the problem is with Grey, not with the Barca manager?

sounds like half the people on boards.ie tbh.

oh look, more complaining.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i must agree, i felt the commentary was woeful and totally biased.

im used to sky being biased i.e. with liverpool last year but it was ridiculous tonight.

they were actually laughing about eboue's free kick that he got, ignoring the fact it was a blatent dive.

also lehmann asked geoff shreeves to confirm the 1st barca goal was offside and he said it WAS!!! wtf??

totally biased imo,i feel sorry for the ref, no doubt the english media will send him into retirement too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Here PHB why do something that will actually make them pay attention?

Cancel your subscription, hit them where it hurts - there profits.

But something tells me you wont be doing this! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i think he might be jealous, normally they reserve this level of attention for when united lose!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,851 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Here PHB why do something that will actually make them pay attention?

Cancel your subscription, hit them where it hurts - there profits.

But something tells me you wont be doing this! ;)

One person cancling their subscription is hardly going to hurt Sky. And maybe he doesn't want to cancel it.

This is quite a cynical thread in response to a valid point. I don't like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I never liked Andy Gray tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

One person cancling their subscription is hardly going to hurt Sky. And maybe he doesn't want to cancel it.

You haven''t seen his earlier rants in the cl final thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Damn, your right.

But an email to them will have them quacking in their boots! I can see andy gray and jamie redknapp sacked because PHB has send them an email.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

no one named Andy Grey is employed by Sky , however there coverage can be poor and too sensationalist at times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

no one named Andy Grey is employed by Sky Sports , however there coverage can be poor and too sensationalist at times .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

eirebhoy wrote:
    I never liked Andy Gray tbh.
    LOL :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

It got so bad that I switched to RTE to listen to Hamilton and Brady... That should say everything.

Anyone watch it on ITV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

I also watched it on RTE and my god that is bad. The whole lot should be dropped for some fresh faces. Out with the old and in with the new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

This is why people have sky, for the controversy and the fact that football is such an exciting and well talked about game....its why we love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It's nothing new and it wont change, ever. Watching English sides play in Europe on Sky will always be as painful as stabbing yourself in the arm.

Call_me_al wrote:
    i think he might be jealous, normally they reserve this level of attention for when united lose!!

You're bringing Utd into it when its irrelevant! he's making a comment about the biased nature of Sky Sports coverage tonight...not UTD!

• Advertisement

The bottom line is if you don't like Sky's coverage of it then don't watch it... i love the way sky cover football and wouldn't watch any other channel if there is a choice! Redknapp or no Redknapp :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Considering they show La Liga every weekend they should really use one of the commentators from that alongside someone from the Premiership commentary team. Not that it would make them any less partisan but at least the lads that commentate on the Spanish football know something about it and the teams.

Gerry Armstrong or Alan McInally(sp?) commentated on most CL games where a Spanish team was involved but neither were present when Chelsea played Barca, once again Gray was there talking rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If I hadn't been in a pub I would have switched over, bugged the hell out of me! Although having said that you have an Arsenal employee commentating on RTE so I can't imagine that was any better.

I have to say Andy Gray is the best co-commentator there is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Yes, COMPLETELY BLATANT, but gotta hear that on Sky I suppose.

At least Gray shut up when Barca went ahead :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

switched over to RTE from Sky Sports just before half time. Couldn't bare it any more. Have never had to do it before but the commentary was just awful.

Watched the second half on ITV in my friends house and can't really complain about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

...But an email to them will have them quacking in their boots! I can see andy gray and jamie redknapp sacked because PHB has send them an email.

Well them quacking in their boots may sound better than some of the stuff they come out with,

on a serious note, Donald Duck would be better than Andy Gray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

PHB wrote:
    Heres what I wrote
    Firstly, It's "Here is what I have written" .
    PHB wrote:
    The commentary from Sky Sports tonight was utterly atrocious.

Andy Grey constantly complains about him not understanding the decisions make by the Barca manager who has won the league twice in a row and a CL.
    Secondly, if you are going to complain about somebody, please do them the courtesy of getting their name correctly spelt. It is Andy Gray not Andy Grey.
    PHB wrote:
    Perhaps the problem is with Grey, not with the Barca manager?
    Beyond that, his bias towards Arsenal was absolutely unbelievably.
    Absolutely unbelievably? What? Unbelievably what exactly? Great? Poor? What?
    PHB wrote:
    I'm sure you will recieve a flood of complaints about him tonight, but he was honastly atrocious. I had to switch off the commentary because he was so annoying.
    Good. You have solved your own problem. I'm sure the complaints people at Sky Sports are breathing a huge sigh of relief at this revelation.:rolleyes:
    PHB wrote:
    As for Jamie Redknapp, why is he even in the studio? Could you please point to me anything he said that was insightful to anybody who isn't a 12 year old child.
    Based on your efforts at a coherent complaint, they probably do not feel the need to "point you in the direction" of any such "thing" as they have probably come to the conclusion that they are indeed dealing with a "12 year old child".
    PHB wrote:
    What makes him an even worse pundit
    Even worse than whom, what?
    PHB wrote:
    is that he interupts the good pundits. Guillet(who is fantastic) was making some interesting points, was cut off by Redknapp.
    Who? Guillet? Who is he? When was he a pundit on this show? Oh...Hang on. Rudd Gullit. I see.:rolleyes:
    PHB wrote:
    I understand that your goal is to create news,
    Do you now Mr. PHB. Where you consulted when Sky Sports decided to draw up their customer charter?
    PHB wrote:
    so I understand the conduct of your interviewers towards Henry and Wenger, but to focus on the match as a whole, the champions league final, and to continue talking and talking about refereeing decisions.
    I'm waiting on a finishing statement to your sentence here. Tick. Tock. No? Ok then.

Here's a tip for you. In order for anybody to treat you seriously in any way when complaining about bad punditry, you must be able to demonstrate that you actually know what you are talking about. You obviously do not.

Back onto the green pills for you.

I have honestly, never seen a more badly written letter of complaint in my entire life. It's laughable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Er, it's Sky. What do you expect?

I was in the pub, so I couldn't hear the commentary, but I'm sure it was pretty bad as usual. All the same, somehow I can't see you complaining when they jizzbomb over Rooney, when Tyldesley (BBC?) goes on repeatedly about 'that magical night in Barcelona', when (RTE?) Ireland heroically get two dodgy penalties against 10 man Spain, etc... You're always going to get bias, it's human nature.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Hobart wrote:

Do you now Mr. PHB. Where you consulted when Sky Sports decided to draw up their customer charter? I'm waiting on a finishing statement to your sentence here. Tick. Tock. No? Ok then.

Nearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Nearly.
    I'm pwned so..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

:d:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The need some of Bill O'Herlihy.

"Without meaning to come across as racist but......................"

My eyes and ears tingled with delight at what I hoped was about to unfold, but to be honest he disappointed a little at only going after the poor Norwegian ref from a shambolic league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

RTE weren't that much better.

Classic Dunphy

"I don't think that Barca team are that good. The top teams will be looking at that match tonight and think, we're better than that"

What a gowl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Sky Sports general football coverage has always been atrocious.
    They treat the viewer like a complete imbacile who knows nothing about football and barely knows how to kick a football.
    They do a good job with the actual live footage but their analysis/commentary/previews are woeful.
    Andy Gray talks far too much to be incisive.
    Redknapp and Quinn are like 2 excited schoolboys gushing at basic footballing moves.
    Its football for dummies.
    Everything somehow has to be linked back to the English team in one way or another,however contrived or convoluted the link may be.(i.e. Mexican coach has an English car)
    English heart will always overcome foreign teams in the face of mighty obstacles.
    If an English team is 2-0 down with 9 men ,the Sky boys will still give them a fighting chance..:)
    I do like Sky's coverage of La Liga though although Gerry Armstrong is a bit repetitive .
    He uses 'Power and Pace' and 'Skill and Technique' about 10 times in each match.
    Real's 'Bricks of gold' is a common one too .
    ITV's coverage is just as bad ,Ally and Andy are brainwashed.
    RTE is the best of a bad lot but they were poor by their standards this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Ah Gerry isn't too bad, except for everything being untrue.
    He was so close it was untrue.
    That piece of skill was untrue.
    Team x should be so far ahead it's untrue.
    etc etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

OP, call me pedantic, but if you want to complain, try getting the name right.
    Andy Grey
    :rolleyes:

RTE is the best of a bad lot but they were poor by their standards this evening.

you're joking right? RTE coverage is terrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

Andy Gray is not the worst really but i agree that redknapp is terrible. He bores you before he opens his mouth. He was not that good a player and should really stay home with his wife, maybe start a duet with her. I can see it now the Redknappers live at the Point. Sold out.
    Seriously though UTV usually are good but i can remember a time when they had Gazza on the panel and people emailed in saying they couldnt understand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Sky=British.

Arsenal=British.

And some people are surprised that the commentary is biased. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Gerry Armstrong is the best commentator on Sky, but he was never going to get the CL Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Anyone watch the build up program that was replayed about 10 times yesterday when they had Grey and Kednapp rating Henry and Ronny??

See the face on Grey when Kednapp was giving both players a 10, he was looking at him as if to say "You havent a clue!!", was very funny

Sky not that bad except Quinn, honest to god I hate the man, remember years ago at half time at Landsdown the players where having a bit of a kick about, they all started to knock balls into the net at the North end, anyway everyone slotted the ball in, big Quinny came up to hammer it in and nearly sent it out of the ground. The crowd where in tears laughing.

Met him a few weeks ago at Punchstown and seriously the way he acts on TV is exactly the way he is in real life. Hasnt a clue and just agrees with everything you say. Muppet

Zebra3 wrote:
    Sky=British.

Arsenal=British.

I doubt very much that this type of thing happens in other countries. Barca could have lost the game over a decision by the ref not to play advantage (and give the red) and decision by the linesman to give a freekick to Arsenal on the edge of the box. How can they feel hard done by?

I see a lot of Arsenal fans feel hard done by:
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1222055-,00.html
    :confused:

i just dont get it.

some people are giving their opinion, and you feel that they should not?

what is it that they should do instead? they should only say what you feel they should?

perhpas you shold send in your own script and ask them to read form it.
    or get on fanzone and do the commantary yourself?

eirebhoy wrote:
    I doubt very much that this type of thing happens in other countries. Barca could have lost the game over a decision by the ref not to play advantage (and give the red) and decision by the linesman to give a freekick to Arsenal on the edge of the box. How can they feel hard done by?

I see a lot of Arsenal fans feel hard done by:
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1222055-,00.html
    :confused:

but thats always going to be the way.

spurs fans feel hard done by for the last game of the season. for the goal that wsnt given against utd last season. for not being allowed into europe due to liverpool and the heysal stadium rioting. etc etc etc.

shít happens. its football. nothing is ever certain. we all know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Big Ears wrote:
    no one named Andy Grey is employed by Sky , however there coverage can be poor and too sensationalist at times .
    I hate these kind of pedantic replies. He got the spelling of the name wrong. If you're going to be silly about things it should be "their coverage" not "there coverage". Get over it.

As for the post, I have to agree with the sentiment. I had to turn off Sky, it was just appalling. I can't watch their half time stuff anymore, Redknapp is atrocious, and Gray was just so ridiculously biased in his commentary towards Arsenal that it was just sickening. Brady in fairness was not too bad, even though he's an Arsenal employee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Zebra3 wrote:
    Sky=British.

Arsenal=British.

Exactly, of course their commentry is going to be biased, it will be the exact same when RTE do the Munster game this weekend, what do you expect? Its people from that nation who really want the their team to win. Its the same when you listen to local radio when they are commentating on a GAA game, they only care about their own county, completely understandable.
    I like Andy Gray and the way Sky Sports do football, they are always improving the way they present the actual match, their build up is not that great in fairness, I would actually watch RTE for the match analysis as they will say it as it is and exactly what the think and then switch to Sky Sports for the actual match.

but thats always going to be the way.

spurs fans feel hard done by for the last game of the season. for the goal that wsnt given against utd last season. for not being allowed into europe due to liverpool and the heysal stadium rioting. etc etc etc.

shít happens. its football. nothing is ever certain. we all know that.
    Teams usually have reason to feel hard done by when they complain but Arsenal have none.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote:
    Teams usually have reason to feel hard done by when they complain but Arsenal have none.
    Well, they obviously don't agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Wathed it on ITV myself. Couldn't complain too much, was expecting Arsenal bias on whaichever channel it was on. They at least were honest in saying Eboue was very lucky to get a free, as there was no contact - didn't quite accuse him of dying, but at least they weren't rambling on about dodgy fouls or something! Went in fits and starts depending on the stage of the game, some of it was alright, others were poor enough. Pretty much as expected tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement