Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Sports - Complain about them!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Well, they obviously don't agree with you.
    There's nothing to not agree with, it's not an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

i just dont get it.

some people are giving their opinion, and you feel that they should not?

what is it that they should do instead? they should only say what you feel they should?

perhpas you shold send in your own script and ask them to read form it.
    or get on fanzone and do the commantary yourself?
    People expect some degree of objectivity though. Which, in fairness, isn't going to happen when you have two commentators who's livlihoods revolve around the league of one of the teams.
    It's only natural as someone else said, that Gray and Tyler would be hoping for Arsenal to win. That's why I think they should have had a different combination, maybe Gerry Armstrong, since he's a La Liga commentator.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote:
    There's nothing to not agree with, it's not an opinion.
    Don't be silly, it's all opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Arsenal have no reason to feel hard done by. The referee awarded them two goals (One he took over Barca one he gave to Arsenal for a free that never was), what on earth are people whingeing about? If Barca had of lost they would have been right to be outraged. They even harp on about this Henry card when Olegeur had an absolutley identical one, and even Sky said Eto'o was onside (The benefit of the doubt is supposed to go with the attacker, afterall). Anyone whingeing about the referee saying he cheated Arsenal is simply being bitter.

Well there's no question that Lehmann should have been sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I feel sorry for anyone who feels the match day analysis and punditry on Sky is better than the analysis on RTE. You have been brainwashed!!

Andy Gray: Its hard to understand how any self respecting Scotsman could be so biased in favour of England. Money talks I suppose.

RTE generally have sheight commentators, take a bow George and Ger, but in the studio they usually have people who at least can talk intelligently about the game, and who are not afraid to disagree with each other. And they've also got Eamon Grumpy who is hugely entertaining whether he's talking tosh or sense (50/50 usually)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

I feel sorry for anyone who feels the match day analysis and punditry on Sky is better than the analysis on RTE. You have been brainwashed!!

Andy Gray: Its hard to understand how any self respecting Scotsman could be so biased in favour of England. Money talks I suppose.

RTE generally have sheight commentators, take a bow George and Ger, but in the studio they usually have people who at least can talk intelligently about the game, and who are not afraid to disagree with each other. And they've also got Eamon Grumpy who is hugely entertaining whether he's talking tosh or sense (50/50 usually)
    definitely agree, much prefer rte's studio analysis to the shíte on sky. its like the panalists on sky are reading from an auto-que or something. cant say any of the commentary teams are that good, or good for that matter ;), but imo brady did a good job last night for someone as attached to arsenal as he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

RTE weren't that much better.

Classic Dunphy

"I don't think that Barca team are that good. The top teams will be looking at that match tonight and think, we're better than that"

What a gowl!

He's right though. Barcelona were poor and most major European teams will have watched the game and thought "we could have beat them."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

eirebhoy wrote:
    I doubt very much that this type of thing happens in other countries.

Had to really laugh at this. It happens everywhere football is played, the home broadcaster, in this case Sky Sports, are partizan and fervently behind the home team - Arsenal. They're playing up to their audience, which is by and large English people.

It's the same with national teams, Sky will be doing the exact same thing with the English team when the World Cup comes around because, shock horror, they're English.

If people don't want to watch an English channel supporting an English team in Europe, they don't have to, but it's a bit idiotic to complain about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Zebra3 wrote:
    Sky=British.

Arsenal=British.

And some people are surprised that the commentary is biased.
    I was waiting for someone to point that out!!
    Strange that people have a problem with it tbh.

I hate these kind of pedantic replies. He got the spelling of the name wrong. If you're going to be silly about things it should be "their coverage" not "there coverage". Get over it.
    For some reason that always happens on this site. Whenever someone calls someone else on a spelling mistake or a grammatical error they invariably make a mistake themselves. :D

Where's PHB gone??? He's gone very quiet. A 4 page thread (that he started) and he's only commented once!! Hmmmm......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

PHB wrote:
    Sky Sports - Complain about them!

Best way to get your point accross is to cancel your subscription. But that'd mean no Man Utd games, Andy Gray is always terrible. Always has been, always will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

I totally agree with with the complaints about sky sports coverage. I love the coverage sky have for football, but Andy Gray and Martin Tyler questioned ever decision the ref made last night, it was a joke in the end. Eboue clearly dived for the free kick and they scored from it. Every week there so one sided its unbelievable. They never have anything negative to say about any English players only the foreigners and Andy Gray always talks about the pass when he played.

I watch the Spanish football and i think Rob Palmer and Gerry Armstrong are fantastic commentators who always have positive and negative things to say.

The Eto'o Goal was clearly on-side last night, Jamie Redknapp, Paul Merson, Guilt, Dunphy and Giles all said it was onside...I thought you gave the advantage to the forwards...

Thats my Rant:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It's not about them being behind Arsenal, they're just outright lying about what they're seing. They always do. Remember the Chelsea Barca game!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

BaZmO* wrote:
    I was waiting for someone to point that out!!
    Strange that people have a problem with it tbh.

For a channel that shows La Liga every week with dedicated commentators to it you would think Sky would have the sense to use one of them instead of using the clueless pair they did use. Tyler and Gray know nothing about Spanish football, so use someone that does.

Obviously Sky will be biased you expect nothing less, but at least use people that know what they're talking about when you have them at your disposal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hobart wrote:
    Originally Posted by PHB
    Heres what I wrote

Firstly, It's "Here is what I have written" .
    Originally Posted by PHB
    I understand that your goal is to create news,

Do you now Mr. PHB. Where you consulted when Sky Sports decided to draw up their customer charter?

LOL . Classic even by your standards Bart.:D

This thread has given me a good laugh, someone said they switched from Sky to RTE because Sky were too biased. RTE had Liam Brady and George Arsenal Hamilton commentating , they spent the whole game moaning about how the ref had ruined it as a spectacle and were not to vocal about Arsenal cheating for the free that led to their first goal.

What was Leahman thinking about? Arsenal were looking good up to his dismissal.

• Advertisement

Had to really laugh at this. It happens everywhere football is played, the home broadcaster, in this case Sky Sports, are partizan and fervently behind the home team - Arsenal. They're playing up to their audience, which is by and large English people.

It's the same with national teams, Sky will be doing the exact same thing with the English team when the World Cup comes around because, shock horror, they're English.

If people don't want to watch an English channel supporting an English team in Europe, they don't have to, but it's a bit idiotic to complain about it.
    I doubt very much the media of another country would have been as bad as them last night. If they have a valid reason to give out then fine, I'm all for that. Barca were the team that were hard done by though, they were the team with the reason to give out. Arsenal should be counting themselves lucky that they didn't go down to 9 men for one of the most blatent of dives you could see (it would have been his 2nd yellow).

btw - Ireland got a 2nd goal in Switzerland which was wrongly disallowed. Nobody even picked up on it. We could be in Germany too but for that, who knows? That is a reason to go mad about a ref, not what Andy Gray was going mad over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Slash/ED wrote:
    It's not about them being behind Arsenal, they're just outright lying about what they're seing. They always do. Remember the Chelsea Barca game!?
    Aye, there was another Sky being biased thread I seem to remember. They probably will creep up after every CL game involving an English team when they feel they were hard done-by with something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

BaZmO* wrote:

Where's PHB gone??? He's gone very quiet. A 4 page thread (that he started) and he's only commented once!! Hmmmm......

I think someone gave him a belt with the ban stick ;)

Strangely enough the referee has come out and said that if he could do it again, he would have allowed the goal and NOT sent Lehmann off. Is it still not an opinion now, eirebhoy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

eirebhoy wrote:
    I doubt very much the media of another country would have been as bad as them last night. If they have a valid reason to give out then fine, I'm all for that. Barca were the team that were hard done by though, they were the team with the reason to give out. Arsenal should be counting themselves lucky that they didn't go down to 9 men for one of the most blatent of dives you could see (it would have been his 2nd yellow).

btw - Ireland got a 2nd goal in Switzerland which was wrongly disallowed. Nobody even picked up on it. We could be in Germany too but for that, who knows? That is a reason to go mad about a ref, not what Andy Gray was going mad over.

deco could have seen read for diving in the second half before they equalised. did a swan dive over and arsenal player at the edge of the arsenal box. ref saw it and waved play on. arsenal weren't the only ones at it.

i do agree that they are as biased as can be at times, it is a "english" team and it is an english sports channel. i also agree that the next time they should atleast put gerry armstrong there.

• Advertisement

Strangely enough the referee has come out and said that if he could do it again, he would have allowed the goal and NOT sent Lehmann off. Is it still not an opinion now, eirebhoy?
    hehe. :) I think if it was a deliberate foul then Lehmann been sent off could have after the advantage was played. The ref didn't give the red card for a deliberate foul, he gave it for the last man back denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. I think it was a deliberate foul which means Lehmann had to go off either way. I'm not qualified on the rules so I could be wrong but I think Lehmann had to go for grabbing Eto'os ankle.
    ghost26ie wrote:
    deco could have seen read for diving in the second half before they equalised. did a swan dive over and arsenal player at the edge of the arsenal box. ref saw it and waved play on. arsenal weren't the only ones at it.
    Deco wasn't booked at all in the match so I don't see how he could have seen red. The ref didn't give the freekick to Deco, he gave the freekick to Eboue and they scored from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

The Muppet wrote:
    LOL . Classic even by your standards Bart.:D
    Muppet wrote:
    What was Leahman thinking about? Arsenal were looking good up to his dismissal.
    Leahman? Who is this you speak of? Soz... Like I said to your buddy, if you are going to complain about somebody, at least do them the courtesy of getting their name correct, muppet.

eirebhoy wrote:
    The ref didn't give the freekick to Deco, he gave the freekick to Eboue and they scored from it.

he didnt give a freekick at all he waved play on, he had obviously heard of deco's rep.

ghost26ie wrote:
    he didnt give a freekick at all
    that's what i said. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

This thread is unbelievable. If you don't like Sky - Don't watch it. I couldn't live without their football coverage although I totally agree that they were biased but what can you do? Stop moaning and being petty and get on with it; at the end of the day it's just a game.

eirebhoy wrote:
    that's what i said. :)

he didnt give the free to deco because he dived. as for eboue, i think the linesman is at fault for eboue's freekick. he should have been able to see it from where he was. dont remember how far the ref was from it but the linesman should have seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

imo brady did a good job last night for someone as attached to arsenal as he is.

Likewise. I was expecting him to be blatantly biased, but overall he was as fair as one can expect from an employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Hobart wrote:
    Leahman? Who is this you speak of? Soz... Like I said to your buddy, if you are going to complain about somebody, at least do them the courtesy of getting their name correct, muppet.
    And if you're going to complain about the way a name is spelled, please leave out the pathetic child like text english - soz. God. I said it before, I'll say it again, I hate these pathetic, pedantic posts. You obviously didn't realise who he was talking about, with the extra a in the name, it really must have thrown you off. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

And if you're going to complain about the way a name is spelled, please leave out the pathetic child like text english - soz. God. I said it before, I'll say it again, I hate these pathetic, pedantic posts. You obviously didn't realise who he was talking about, with the extra a in the name, it really must have thrown you off. :rolleyes:

Just keep missing the point, why don't you?:rolleyes:

eirebhoy wrote:
    hehe. :) I think if it was a deliberate foul then Lehmann been sent off could have after the advantage was played. The ref didn't give the red card for a deliberate foul, he gave it for the last man back denying a clear goalscoring opportunity. I think it was a deliberate foul which means Lehmann had to go off either way. I'm not qualified on the rules so I could be wrong but I think Lehmann had to go for grabbing Eto'os ankle.
    Right so, it is an opinion after all, just wanted to clarify that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement