Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU flag?

Options
  • 17-05-2006 10:57pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What happened to the supposed new EU flag I read about ages ago, one that was supposed to come into place after the 10 new states became part of the EU (and as such, the 15 starred flag would be outdated)

I remember reading about some flag that was designed by an artist on commission, which featured all the colours from all the EU flags in vertical stripes, it looked horrible; anyway I think I spotted it at some EU conference recently (it was on a big board in the background, I think it was the EU/Latin conference)

Anyone know what it was all about? I assume they're keeping the circled stars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The number of stars has nothing to do with the number of Member States. There are twelve stars because the number twelve is traditionally the symbol of perfection, completeness and unity. The flag therefore remains unchanged regardless of EU enlargements.
    http://europa.eu/abc/symbols/emblem/index_en.htm

Otherwise: eurgay7gp.gif
    :D (Add crappy stars where applicable)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

flogen wrote:
    What happened to the supposed new EU flag I read about ages ago, one that was supposed to come into place after the 10 new states became part of the EU (and as such, the 15 starred flag would be outdated)
    What flag are you talking about?
    There has always and ever will be 12 stars on the EU Flag.
    flogen wrote:
    I remember reading about some flag that was designed by an artist on commission, which featured all the colours from all the EU flags in vertical stripes, it looked horrible; anyway I think I spotted it at some EU conference recently (it was on a big board in the background, I think it was the EU/Latin conference)

Anyone know what it was all about? I assume they're keeping the circled stars

The Austrians have decided o use it for some silly reason.
    I think it cost a lot a they wanted to get some use out of it....expect to never see it again as a cornerstone of a flag is to be easily reproduceable and that "thing" was far too complicated.
    Blue background with 12 stars...simple!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it is used now in EU strasbourg or whatever atleast for the eh is Dutch presidency, or is Polish now um who cares? Austrian??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dathi1 wrote:

Ah well, at least you're able to fix your colours firmly to the mast (geddit? eh?!) while simultaneously belittling the nazi regieme. Good job batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

I think the current flag is the permanment one for the time being anyway.
    The flag being used by Austria(current president) is just a montage of all the EU's nations flags. The Austrian presidency comes in the wake of the miserbable failure of the EU constitution and one of the main objectives of their presidency is a so-called "pausing for reflection" on the constitution and further integration and their flag is supposed to symbolise an integrated Europe ie: it has colours representing all 25 member states.

I think it tries to play up a togetherness that suffered after the french and dutch "NO" to the constitution

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jk_Eire wrote:
    ...permanment... for the time being...
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jk_Eire

hmmm
    oxymoron noted

Advertisement