Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silencer

Options
  • 17-05-2006 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

new firearms officer in district rang up to arange meeting to get a permit for a silencer asked why it was wanted gave him reasons said he'd never issued one before and would look into it and ring back tomorrow

Seemed pretty straight with me and a least its a guy this time didnt know much about it so instead of bull****ting me said he'd look it up and get back to me tomorrow seems very reasonable and someone who will actually see sense a nice change

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

new firearms officer in district rang up to arange meeting to get a permit for a silencer asked why it was wanted gave him reasons said he'd never issued one before and would look into it and ring back tomorrow

Seemed pretty straight with me and a least its a guy this time didnt know much about it so instead of bull****ting me said he'd look it up and get back to me tomorrow seems very reasonable and someone who will actually see sense a nice change

Just some freindly advice, try and call it a moderator.;)
    Best of luck getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yeah there is something more sinister about the word silencer

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Depends on the rifle and caliber really. Your not going to silence a fullbore but you can moderate it. A .22 subsonic can be silenced though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

I've never understood where all the fuss about silencers/moderators/suppressors came from. If someone is of sufficiently good standing to be allowed a firearms licence then, logically, one would presume that they are not in the assassination business ?

So what's the problem ?

Instead of making it difficult to moderate guns, the powers-that-be should be insisting on moderation in the interest of health and safety and general consideration for those within hearing range !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

but the arguement to that then is you shouldn't fire that close to people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Why?

You can hear a fullbore rifle shooting miles away under the right conditions, doesn't mean it's not safe, just annoying sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

babybundy wrote:

well do you mean because they can hear the shots (damage hearing) or because you might cause an accident with a stray shot.

Well if it is the latter then you shouldn't be taking the shots anyway, moderated or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭17HMR

babybundy wrote:

If you're hunting at dawn or dusk in the summer, you would want to be several miles from the nearest sleeping local to avoid disturbing them with an unmoderated rifle (or shotgun for that matter).......

Again though, the assumption in granting a license must be that the license holder is a responsible individual with a good reason to have the gun. So the whole moderator thing makes about as much sense as restricting sight magnification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Never take a shot you're in anyway unsure of, there'll always be another chance/day but you can never take back that bullet/shot once you pull that trigger :)

Out with my mate last year he shot a fox near the shore of a bay, the echo (do not read that as lead shot) BOOMED up the bay towards the village as loud as you like. The shot was fired safely and correctly but the noise is a concern regarding disturbing people alright (day or night IMHO). I've been out lamping nights and have heard rifle shots from miles off, well out of their effective range infact as I know who was shooting. No point in getting peoples backs up when there no need to and the use of moderators would help with that.

17HMR makes a good point about being granted a firearms licence yet having the posibility of being denied one for a supressor. It makes no practical sense, either the powers that be see you fit to hold both or why give you access to a firearm at all, it's nonsense.

I very much agree with using the term moderator instead of silencer.

Just my two cents.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 17 sniper2

applied to my supt. about a silencer some time back for a .22,had a meeting and i had valid reasons for using one but not good enough for him,"refused".i dislike that word,anyway i asked supt. would there have been many certs for moderators issued in this country for .22, a small percentage he says,then i asked him did he know how many there were with no certs,he had no reply but i said to myself plenty.I left dissappointed and I hav`nt been heard of since,safe and silent

• Advertisement
Advertisement