Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 + Not insurable under age 25???

Options
  • 17-05-2006 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hello...

A friend of mine tried to get a quote for a 2 litre civic type R recently and was told that no insurance company in ireland will insure a 21 year old driver with a full licence on anything larger than a 1.6??!

Surely this cant be correct, that a driver under 25, WITH a full licence cant drive ANY car bigger than a 1.6???

Apparently an older model 1.6 litre type r was fine, but anything bigger engine wise wasnt ok???

So by that logic, he COULD get insured on a 1.6 type R but not on a 2.0 primera or similar??

What kind of madness is this, and is it even true???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

All I'll say is shop around. AXA today informed me they wouldnt quote me on anything over group 6 (apparently my car is group 11) until I was 30 with 5 years no claims. Yet other companies had no problem giving quite competitive (for the Irish market anyway) quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

AB03,
    I concur with the second poster.
    Shop around
    However I do know that its a lot more expensive getting insured in a higher CC car.....and there are companies that wonder why someone would need a car over 1.6 litre, especially if they have no real need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Craziness. I suppose all my studying of the car insurance groups on parkers was f**king useless so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

Sounds dodgy to me. Ever since i was 17 and on a provisional ive been insured on a 1.8 . And when i was 23 i was insured on a 3.7 . Theres always ways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Insurance companies loathe the words "male" "under 25" & "civic" as young lads and high powered cars generally add up to speed !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Did you try St. Pauls ( I am insured with them though Glennons brokers in Dublin) They were the only ones that would quote me on a 3.5ltr 350Z when I was 28. As far as I know they will quote on anything

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nobody will quote me on anything larger than a 1.6 either. I'm 23 with a full licence and 2 years ncb.

Funxy: insured under a parents name? Garage insurance? Some other annoying loophole? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

I am 23 also, with a full NCB. I'm insured in a 1.8 Focus Diesel (115bhp, so it isnt a plodder), and there was no problem about it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

22, named on a 1.8 for 2 years (with provisional for some of it). Looking to get car, but can't get quotes for anything over 1.6 - sure I couldn't affford much bigger anyways! :)

AB03 wrote:

So by that logic, he COULD get insured on a 1.6 type R but not on a 2.0 primera or similar??

The issue isn't the 2.0 engine. Its the fact its type R.

Which is more likely to be robbed, crashed and wrapped around a lightpost than your typical Golf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

I thought the insurance companies had moved away from using age when deciding whether to give a quote or not, or are people going to have to start bringing them to court again. They could probably use a provisional licence or not having 5 years NCB as a reason in some cases. But if they would insure a 30 year old with a full licence and NCB, they have to quote a 22 year old with a full licence and NCB. "Quote" been the important word, because if they don't want to insure you they'll probably give some ridiculous figure.

OP - I doubt vey much that its true (The 1.6 part). For a start, how would they know what every other company is wiling to insure. And secondly, I'm sure there are many people of this age driving 1.9 diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm insured on my 1.9 diesel in my own name(22yr old); I had no prob gettin quotes so I'd say its more to do with type of car.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I got a quote on an Integra Type R, I'm 23 with 2 years NCB on a provisional!!
    They have to quote you either way but a lot of companys are not insuring vtecs anymore!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

On the plus side of things if he can't get a quote maybe he won't buy a scumbag car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Funxy

No more about me being insured under my own name since i started driving at 17, plus im a girl and their alot more lenient when it comes to that. Its handy to have 8 years ncb tho :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Britton Insurance quoted me and I was 23 at the time.

The insurance company will say that, but as I have learned from dealings with quinn. They are liars that will bend you over and make you grab your ankles while ripping you off. Just get quotes elsewhere, go back and rub it in their face I did and they knocked 1k off my 2nd year insurance and upgraded it to fully comp.

Also to note a mate of mine is 23 with a full license, advanced driving test and is insured on a 2L turbo Evo V. His policy costs 2k fully comp.

the deals are there, you just gotta find em :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Yeah, I ran into that prob, had to leave a bargain 1.8 go because of it.

Quinn would not insure me under 25 with full licence + 1-an-a-bit years NCB (with them!)

Hibernian would quote me (1.8 Laguna - not boy racer material really is it) and their quote was not much more than the quinn quote for the 1.4 I was driving at the time.

In the end I thought it was not worth cancelling insurance halfway through a year just to drive a Laguna! But Quinn won't get anymore business from me going on the diff between the two quotes!

I can agree with nothing more than 1.6 for a provisional, but someone with a full licence should be able to go to 2L until they get 2-3yrs ncb, and anything they afford to insure after that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I would like to point out that no one can beat quinn on prices. BUT their policy sucks and from my experience with mates having accidents they are simply not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

layke wrote:
    I would like to point out that no one can beat quinn on prices.

They were more expensive than HiB when I got a quote!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

layke wrote:
    I would like to point out that no one can beat quinn on prices. BUT their policy sucks and from my experience with mates having accidents they are simply not worth it.

Defo not true!!!

I have an Astra 1.2 (for sale:D ) and they (quinn) were looking for €1200 for 3rd Pty.
    I went to AXA and got it for €800 Fully comp!
    I was 24 with 1 yr NCB and Prov Licence

Lesson Learned: SHOP AROUND

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

layke wrote:

Hmmm me thinks you may be wrong there mate!!

23 with a provisional and 2 year NCB:

3rd Year Insurance Quote:

Quinn €1700 3rd party F&T (1.4 Corolla)
    Allainz €1550 Fully Comp (1.4 Corolla) allowed drive any other car as long as it ain't in my name, also have NCB protection the works!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

axa suck i went to them with a 1.2 corsa prov licence age 19 and they wanted 3600 and only after they put the tracker in
    where as girl 19 prov licence 1.1 punto (which is a faster car) 1200 with no tracker talk about sexual descrimation and i had nearly 4 years ncb on a bike

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Everyone's insurance quote is different even if two peoplw of the same age with the same NCB tring to insure the same type car. There are alot of factors to be taken into consideration that can make a big difference, ie. your location. One insurance company can be cheap for one individual and very expensive for another.

Car insurance quotes unfortunately are an enigma in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Most insurance companies don't quote on just engine size anymore, Civic's in particular are uninsurable even if they had a Fiat Seicento engine in them.

Most of the TypeRs here are Jap imports too and insurance companies don't like insuring them, Most will ask if the car is an import on a proposal form

Just get a nicer car, 3dr corolla, golf, focus.

I'm in UL and see plenty oif Young male students driving 3 series coupe's 318s 325s

It's not age and engine size they evaluate on

It's experience, licence, ncb, the car, power of the car, gender.

car's are speed limited now anyway it's not as if 1.6 to 1.8 is going to massively increase the speed you can travel at

i've a kia rio ex 1.4 dohc now and its the best car i ever drove left a corolla 1.4 vvti for dust kinda out ran the cops once 200kph and got of the road asap so it shows size aint everything and they are cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I'm insured on a 1.8 with Quinn. However, it used to be a 1.4 but I did an engine transplant. I guess they couldnt exactly say 'Sorry we're going to cancel your policy' ... I had all the paperwork needed

babybundy wrote:
    i've a kia rio ex 1.4 dohc now and its the best car i ever drove left a corolla 1.4 vvti for dust kinda out ran the cops once 200kph and got of the road asap so it shows size aint everything and they are cheaper

Hmmmm...... I wonder how true your statement really is!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

I'm with hibernian at the mo,22 2 year ncb on an Mg Zs (1.8) 2k fully comp.Going up to a 2.5 Zs next month when i'm 23 and 3 years ncb €2200 fully comp :)

jonny24ie wrote:
    Hmmmm...... I wonder how true your statement really is!!
    very true majority of cop cars only do 140mph
    the only thing is i wont be doing it again in that car cause it is to light 1200kgs scary
    watergrasshill by-pass cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

djeclips wrote:
    I'm with hibernian at the mo,22 2 year ncb on an Mg Zs (1.8) 2k fully comp.Going up to a 2.5 Zs next month when i'm 23 and 3 years ncb €2200 fully comp :)

Go to England to get the ZS 180 you'll save a packet. The MG's are way overpriced in Ireland, you can get them for peanuts (even after VRT) in the UK

Advertisement