Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 + Not insurable under age 25???

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭taby_dub

Ok First of all a few points.

I have always been insured as a named driver im 23 with a full licence. bought a new car a 1999 323i convertable which is a 2.5

Rang 6 insurance companys and all refused to qoute me so i rang the insurance federation Ireland and they gave me three phone numbers

The guy told me if the three number he gave me couldnt qoute me to go to the original companys i rang first of all Hibernian, Axa, One direct and get a letter of each stating they refused to qoute me and he would nominate one of them to give me a qoute.

As it turns out i was able to get two qoutes from the numbers i was given from the iif. The first was with a company called excess direct who are new to the market and specialize in young drivers and high performance cars

Qoute 1 :E1440 Excess E2000 Excess Direct.
    Qoute 2 :E2200 Excess E180 Cant remember the name

My point is you can get insurance just shop around. It turns out i ended up going as a names driver again with hibernian but i would of excepted the
    E2200 qoute if i need my own policy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This named driver business is dodgy ground.

If you are the main driver of any vehicle, and deliberately lie on an insurance proposal, any subsequent claim can be refused quite correctly by the insurer, and you may be chased and sued for any 3rd party claim.

Always tell the truth.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

This named driver business is dodgy ground.

If you are the main driver of any vehicle, and deliberately lie on an insurance proposal, any subsequent claim can be refused quite correctly by the insurer, and you may be chased and sued for any 3rd party claim.

Always tell the truth.

Agreed there, if you own and drive a car get it insured as you as the main driver!! In the long run it will work out cheaper for you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

All true, but impossible to prove one way or another.

I would have thought though the car would have to be in registered the name of the "main driver" however, since you cannot insure what you do not own. Then again registration is probably not proof of ownership, so perhaps this is also unnecessary.

The Reason I was getting qoutes in my name is i bought the car for my partner (well for him to drive) and thought it would have to be insured in my name seen as im the registered owner however when i rang the insurance company seen as he will be driving it most and we are partners living together it makes no difference who the registerd owner is as long as the main driver is the one who hold the policy.

Which he does

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

when did you ring about the quote from xsdirect??

from xsdirect.ie -

"Do XS insure young drivers ?

As a start up company establishing a new concept, we are initially targeting drivers over 25"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Moo-69

shop around lad! mind u i cant understand why he's not gettin quotes on anything bigger than a 1.6, im only 21 with a full and 2years no clames and not a bother to me gettin quotes on what ever i would like! and im with quinn!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭dannyd20

Big Balls wrote:
    AXA are wa*kers. I too got the "you have to be 30 until we will insure you on the car you own". Bollocks.

I've been with AXA for the last 4 years (since 21). They have always given me very competitive quotes and match or better any other quote I've ever got. Insured in my own name on different cars - started with 1.6->1.8->2.0td. Service has been good so far, that said I've never had to claim so can't talk about that side of things.
    Big Balls wrote:
    There's a lot of incorrect material in this thread.

As in pretty much every thread on these boards lately!

draffodx wrote:
    when did you ring about the quote from xsdirect??

from xsdirect.ie -

"Do XS insure young drivers ?

As a start up company establishing a new concept, we are initially targeting drivers over 25"

I got the qoute last week through a brooker, Got the brokers name from the Irish Insurance Federation

Moo-69 wrote:
    shop around lad! mind u i cant understand why he's not gettin quotes on anything bigger than a 1.6, im only 21 with a full and 2years no clames and not a bother to me gettin quotes on what ever i would like! and im with quinn!

How?

I'm with quinn, i'm 22(23 in July), have a full licence and one years NCB and I'm limited to a 1.6 engine with bhp limit of around 100 - 110.

I've put my details into the online quote thing as being 23 with 2 years NCB and I get the same limitations

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,573 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Try shop around mate!! You will get it!! as i staed earlier i'm 23 year a provo and 2 year NCB and they quoted me for a Teg Tyre R 1.8!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I phoned quinn today and was told I need to be 25 to get insure on a Renault 19 16v(138Bhp). I phoned XSDirect and they will insure people under 25, didn't get a qoute with them yet but I'm sure they will qoute me on it. Other option is €1600 as a named driver with hibernian.

Edit:
    jonny24ie wrote:
    Try shop around mate!! You will get it!! as i staed earlier i'm 23 year a provo and 2 year NCB and they quoted me for a Teg Tyre R 1.8!!

With which company?

must look for a quote off xs direct, €4000 excess is a bit of a risk though.

am also interested in how you got quoted for a type r and how much was the quote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

The person who is the registered owner has to be the main person on the insurance, no two ways about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

JohnCleary wrote:
    Go to England to get the ZS 180 you'll save a packet. The MG's are way overpriced in Ireland, you can get them for peanuts (even after VRT) in the UK

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

i drive a 1.4 no probs with Quinn, but i asked for a quote for a celica '01 vvti and they wouldnt quote me til i was 25.

Try Quinn Direct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Debbio69

hi all
    while im here any body havin trouble gettin quoted for a bolf gti 2000-2003?

Hibernian do GTIs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

maidhc wrote:
    All true, but impossible to prove one way or another.

I would have thought though the car would have to be in registered the name of the "main driver" however, since you cannot insure what you do not own. Then again registration is probably not proof of ownership, so perhaps this is also unnecessary.

You underestimate the skills and cunning of performance paid accident investigators and assessors.

If a claim is rejected and 3rd party damages paid, the insurer will sue the uninsured driver and take whatever they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

You underestimate the skills and cunning of performance paid accident investigators and assessors.

If a claim is rejected and 3rd party dmages paid, the insurer will sue the uninsured river and take whatever they can.

True! Coming from a farming background I was often warned about this! Farmers, due to having substantial assets, make very good marks when it comes to things like this.

• Advertisement

once your over 25 what is the story, is that like a land mark? when i'm 25 i'll be driving 8 years, have my full licence for 6 years and hopefully, touch wood, hopefully no accidents i'll have 4 years ncb, at that stage i would hope to be able to get insured in a fairly powerfull car for a fairly low premium, but is this the case? will i still be getting ripped off at that stage?

draffodx wrote:
    once your over 25 what is the story, is that like a land mark? when i'm 25 i'll be driving 8 years, have my full licence for 6 years and hopefully, touch wood, hopefully no accidents i'll have 4 years ncb, at that stage i would hope to be able to get insured in a fairly powerfull car for a fairly low premium, but is this the case? will i still be getting ripped off at that stage?

Prepare to continue to suffer. Insurance is never cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jono_g

Just reading through this thread and found it interesting. I am 20, just gone and have a full licence. I rang quinn direct for a quote on a prelude 2.2. SIR vtec and was refused a quote as it was a "high performance car" and "they don't encourage young drivers to drive them".

Having already bought the car this was a problem... I rang them up again on Saturday and asked to transfer my insurance to the same car, a 1.4 civic to the prelude 2.2. SIR vtec. Surprisingly there was no problem, she was more than helpfull. For and extra 332 euro or something like that I was insured on my own name on my Prelude SIR, making it a total of roughly €3150. It is only third party, but still it shows that if you push them enough they will quote you.

They even insured me on the chassi number, before I got my plates!! There is hope!! Spoke to a few people and it seems that if you have an existing policy with them they should transfer it to a bigger car with little hassle.

€3150 for TPO. That's huge money :eek:

Do you rob banks for a living? :rolleyes:

What power is this Prelude pushing out??

Cause I can get insured fully comp on an M3 for less and I'm 24 - not much older than you in the insurance world!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Jono_g wrote:
    Just reading through this thread and found it interesting. I am 20, just gone and have a full licence. I rang quinn direct for a quote on a prelude 2.2. SIR vtec and was refused a quote as it was a "high performance car" and "they don't encourage young drivers to drive them".

Having already bought the car this was a problem... I rang them up again on Saturday and asked to transfer my insurance to the same car, a 1.4 civic to the prelude 2.2. SIR vtec. Surprisingly there was no problem, she was more than helpfull. For and extra 332 euro or something like that I was insured on my own name on my Prelude SIR, making it a total of roughly €3150. It is only third party, but still it shows that if you push them enough they will quote you.

They even insured me on the chassi number, before I got my plates!! There is hope!! Spoke to a few people and it seems that if you have an existing policy with them they should transfer it to a bigger car with little hassle.

Thats interesting. I had based my experience on getting new quotes, never tried transferring my policy over. I guess if you have a policy with them and you get a new car they have very little choice only allow you to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jono_g

€3150 for TPO. That's huge money :eek:

Do you rob banks for a living? :rolleyes:

I know it is huge money but I am 20 and have only had my full licence for three months. Unfortunaltey I do not rob banks, I work part time and yes it is a killer all the same. It was the only quote I could get. It is 220bhp for thos who asked. And if I can get insured cheaper please let me know advice is welcome.

Have you tried Mike Murphy or St. Pauls?

What about Hibernian?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Wing Walker

maidhc wrote:
    They were more expensive than HiB when I got a quote!

Yep, and AiG when I got mine. thankfully I haven't had to fork out any money to that lot in 3 years.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

I was in this situation before. Wait until your renwal comes in!!!

Advertisement