Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 + Not insurable under age 25???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'm with quinn a year and a half and they wouldnt transfer my policy from a 75bhp focus to a 110bhp leon

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

draffodx wrote:
    I'm with quinn a year and a half and they wouldnt transfer my policy from a 75bhp focus to a 110bhp leon

Why did they say they wouldn't insure you? Did they give you any options?

mloc123 wrote:
    Why did they say they wouldn't insure you? Did they give you any options?

nope, just plain refused, on the basis 1900 cc is too big an engine or something, wasnt impressed

Tried an online quote on the Leon TDI(110Bhp), got the usual phone up to finish screen. Funny thing is they'll quote me on the 1.8 20v(125Bhp) Leon or Toledo.

Pity its impossible to find 1.8 Leons over here.

mloc123 wrote:
    Tried an online quote on the Leon TDI(110Bhp), got the usual phone up to finish screen. Funny thing is they'll quote me on the 1.8 20v(125Bhp) Leon or Toledo.

Pity its impossible to find 1.8 Leons over here.

there a joke, must check that if they'll cover me on that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I just got insured on the same car for just over 1k - however I am 25, but they may work something for you. I got it from www.123.ie via XS Direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

mloc123 wrote:
    Thats interesting. I had based my experience on getting new quotes, never tried transferring my policy over. I guess if you have a policy with them and you get a new car they have very little choice only allow you to change.

exactly.this is the case with hibernian. If you want to get a "high performance" car, just insure something small first,and after a week or so change it over. Once you are an existing customer they HAVE to insure you...doesn't mean it will be cheap though!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If you tell an insurance company that you have already bought the car - then they Have to quote you.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

I am insured with hibernian through a broker at the minute on a cynos. I rang hibernian direct(rates can be a little cheaper...)and they wouldn't insure as new business on a cynos!it didn't make a difference that I had previous insurance with them, they won't issue a new policy on most jap imports or performance cars....but they will SWAP to those cars if you insure something first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

bit different over here in the States, I don't think you can find a car under 1.6 litre!

• Advertisement

Hmmmm, I wanted to get a MK4 Golf Gti but i'm not sure if they'll quote me. I don't want to buy the car and have it on my drive and then have them say "Not till you're 25".

Maybe I sould just play it safe with the Toledo, only 25 Bhp less than the Gti.

did you try britton insurance? they'll insure pretty much anything but can be expensive, 4.5k on a golf gti for me

6k with britton, the Toledo/Leon is 1k with quinn. Dont think its worth the extra 200€ per 1 Bhp :D

which leon are you selecting? doesnt seem to give me a quote for the 20v t

oh no, not the 20vt. I was quoted on the 20v, either the s or the se. Won't quote me on the tubro, cupra etc..

Just to check, did you phone up and check about changibg over to the leon or had you bought it and phoned up to actually transfer the policy?

mloc123 wrote:
    Just to check, did you phone up and check about changibg over to the leon or had you bought it and phoned up to actually transfer the policy?

yes i rang and checked the insurance, didnt buy the car

ah okay, reading on other forums it seems if you phone them up and say you have the car bought and its out on your drive they have to quote you. Its a big chance to take tho' No point having a 10k car and not being able to drive it :eek:

yeh thats true and a search for the 1.8 se 20v version didnt bring up much, doesnt make much sense been quoted on a 125bhp version of a car and not getting quoted on a 110 bhp version of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Ah the joys of the Irish Insurance Lottery.

• Advertisement

Its not over yet :D Britton just emailed me:

"We thank you for your submission for a Car Insurance Quotation and after reviewing your details manually we are now able to offer you the following quotation:2552.31 Euro based on this months rates. Terms and Conditions Apply"

That is on the Mk4 Gti, considering it now.

mloc123 wrote:
    Its not over yet :D Britton just emailed me:

"We thank you for your submission for a Car Insurance Quotation and after reviewing your details manually we are now able to offer you the following quotation:2552.31 Euro based on this months rates. Terms and Conditions Apply"

That is on the Mk4 Gti, considering it now.

is that third party or fully comp? they never emailed me with anything judging by the reduction in yours i should be offered mine for about 2k or even less, thats not gonna happen :)

TPFT only, I did another qoute now. It was €5500 online so I hope they mail me tomorrow again. Gonna get the Gti I think and if quinn refuse I can phone up Britton.

did the message with the new quote mention anything about an excess?

It was about €500 I think, bit high. I think its €125 on my current policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

just keep wrecking their heads untill they quote you.

The insurance for me on a 20v toledo is 1950tpft and im 20 with full liscense
    so it can be done

just an update on that
    i can get insured on a 1999 1.8 gti golf tpft for 1980
    i dont understand insurance companies,its more expensive for me to insure a
    1.1 polo than a golf gti :confused:

chrismon wrote:
    just an update on that
    i can get insured on a 1999 1.8 gti golf tpft for 1980
    i dont understand insurance companies,its more expensive for me to insure a
    1.1 polo than a golf gti :confused:

Where did you get that quote chrismon?

i got that from 2 sites
    http://www.brittoninsurance.com/car.html
    http://www.quoteline.ie/

they were both basically the same price
    only difference was when i put in the 150bph version for the craic,brought it up to 2040 which isnt bad either considering im only 20!

• Advertisement

do you guys have the ignition course or anything like that, i'm 23 and i seem to be getting way higher quotes than you guys

Advertisement