Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.6 + Not insurable under age 25???

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Julesie

Im doing the ignition course on Friday in Citywest... in the process of buying a 1995 MX5 1.6 and literally could not get a quote from any one other than Tesco car insurance. Every place i tried ruled me out either because of my age (20) or the fact it was a soft top.. Well actually FBD quoted €3500 which seems ridiculous since im getting TPFT from tescos for €900. Anywhoo i dont trust these insurance companies as far as i can throw them and i wont quite believe the quote until i have the papers confirming it in my hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Tesco are just a reseller for Hibernian I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

i done that course a load of **** i was out with an instructor the night before and he said he would pass me on the proper test but they failed me on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭natnif

yeah,their rates are slightly higher too, so check with hibernian direct! first....and I don't think the course is that bad..It's well worth doing for the saving and is easier than the driving test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

€1700 on a Golf Gti for me on completion of a 1 day course.

is the ignition a one day course, i doubt its the ignition, doesnt that just cover up to 1.6 litre cars?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

draffodx wrote:
    €1700 on a Golf Gti for me on completion of a 1 day course.

What age are you? Which model of GTI? Fully comp?

Big Balls wrote:
    What age are you? Which model of GTI? Fully comp?

22, (23 next month)

Full licence 3 years, 1 years NCB

01 VW Golf GTi 1.8T (150bhp) - Value | €13000

€1700 TFPT | €2500 Fully Comp

Not bad at all considering age and the fact that you only have 1 years NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

babybundy wrote:
    i done that course a load of **** i was out with an instructor the night before and he said he would pass me on the proper test but they failed me on the course

That's an interesting statement. He told you he'd pass you on a state driving test without seeing you drive the day before he or his colleague flunked you on the ignition test? BTW, does he do the state testing too, or just the ignition one?

Several people I know who've been in the motor industry for years did it, and they reckoned that it was well worth doing just for the practical safety pointers they got (as well as getting their own bad habits pointed out to them). I haven't done it because I don't qualify to do it, but I'm looking at doing the IAM one (won't effect my insurance, but might give me a few tips on how to keep my car wheels facing down!)

yeh, i think i'll wait till jan next year, so i'll be well in my 23rd year of life (hopefully) and also have 2 years ncb (hopefully) and go for a 02/03 gti

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

draffodx wrote:
    22, (23 next month)

Full licence 3 years, 1 years NCB

01 VW Golf GTi 1.8T (150bhp) - Value | €13000

€1700 TFPT | €2500 Fully Comp

You are getting seriously ripped off, my friend
    I was quoted this week:

€620TPFT on a 1.6 Opel Astra
    I'm 24, full licence and 0 NCB but 7 seven years named driver experience.
    I reckon that's pretty competitive!

But then us farmers get dirt cheap insuraace through FBD:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

FBD for me, too. 30yo, 1998 BMW 520i, 7 or 8 years NCB, €800.

Undercut everybody else (and I do mean EVERYBODY!)

It used to be that with FBD you had to have land or a house insured with them to get a quote, but IIRC they've changed that policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I didn't know about FBD's policy. That's interesting.

I think the reason they're so cheap for me anyway is because the family have everything done through them, house, land,public liability,etc.

If I think about it,FBD insure 1 jeep, 3 cars and lots of machienry for us so it's only fair we get some sort of discount.

On another note, if you think car insurance in this country is a rip-off, then believe me motorbike insurance is 10 times worse.

micmclo wrote:
    You are getting seriously ripped off, my friend
    I was quoted this week:

€620TPFT on a 1.6 Opel Astra
    I'm 24, full licence and 0 NCB but 7 seven years named driver experience.
    I reckon that's pretty competitive!

But then us farmers get dirt cheap insuraace through FBD:D

In fairness, TPFT isn't worth a wa*k.

And obviously an Astra with a 1.6 engine is going to be a bit cheaper to insure than a Golf GTI.

For the car that it is and the quotes associated with them, it's pretty good. I doubt he'd get cheaper anyway.

That's the cost of driving a faster than average car micmclo.

An Opel Astra wouldnt be anywhere near as loaded on insurance as a Golf GTi.

Insurance for me fully comp on a 1.6 Focus/ Astra / Etc... is about €1400.

It's still fairly hard to get insurance with FBD though isn't it?

draffodx wrote:
    It's still fairly hard to get insurance with FBD though isn't it?

I don't think so. I went to them for a quote on a 2005 Golf GTI in Feb and they were all for it until I mentioned 4 penalty points. Only then did they say no.

Big Balls wrote:
    In fairness, TPFT isn't worth a wa*k.

I suppose it depends on how much of a risk your willing to take, if we didnt need insurance legally would anybody actually buy it?

Big Balls wrote:
    I don't think so. I went to them for a quote on a 2005 Golf GTI in Feb and they were all for it until I mentioned 4 penalty points. Only then did they say no.

hhhmmm.....was that because it was 4 or because you had penalty points, i'll have two on my licence soon.

draffodx wrote:
    I suppose it depends on how much of a risk your willing to take, if we didnt need insurance legally would anybody actually buy it?

Well it's nice knowing that if I roll my car and write it off, Hibernian ring up Mr. VW on Monday morning and order me a new one.

I don't know many people that could just pay out for a new car after writing one off should it happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

Fey! wrote:
    That's an interesting statement. He told you he'd pass you on a state driving test without seeing you drive the day before he or his colleague flunked you on the ignition test? BTW, does he do the state testing too, or just the ignition one?

Several people I know who've been in the motor industry for years did it, and they reckoned that it was well worth doing just for the practical safety pointers they got (as well as getting their own bad habits pointed out to them). I haven't done it because I don't qualify to do it, but I'm looking at doing the IAM one (won't effect my insurance, but might give me a few tips on how to keep my car wheels facing down!)
    the fella i went out with was just an instructor he was asked to be an ignition instructor but turn ed it down when he saw how much bullsh*t there was why pay more to do the ignition just for the experiance when thats wat an instructor is for and cheaper

• Advertisement

Big Balls wrote:
    Well it's nice knowing that if I roll my car and write it off, Hibernian ring up Mr. VW on Monday morning and order me a new one.

I don't know many people that could just pay out for a new car after writing one off should it happen.

true but if the car isnt a neccesity then tpft is a much more viable option

Big Balls wrote:

Haha, yeah in an ideal world maybe. In reality it would take weeks/months to sort out the insurance and get the new car. You would new estimates for work needed doing and then they would evaluate it and see if it is cheaper to repair it etc..

Eh don't think so.

Is the car a write off or fixable? A write off. Ok, order a new one.

In the two weeks it would take for an assessor to do his/her job you'd have a loan car and more than likely for the duration of waiting for a new car.

Out of interest who are you insured with?

Advertisement