Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrestlemania 22 set to hit 1 million ppv buys

• 17-05-2006 11:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

From www.f4wonline.com and also on wwe.com:

WWE announced this morning that the preliminary WrestleMania buyrate was coming in at 925,000 buys, putting it on track to exceed one million buys for the third year in a row. They must have done fantastic business overseas, as the early domestic numbers were said to be distressingly low. The WrestleMania 22 DVD is also on track to become WWE's best-selling DVD ever.

Excellent numbers for WWE given the promotion and lineup leading up to the show was maybe a little weaker than recent years. Its roughly if I remember correctly what the show did last year and that show was perceived to have done monster business. Just to put it in a little more perspective, wrestlemania 19 headline by Brock v Kurt, Hogan v Mc Mahon and Austin v Rock did 660,000 buys.

There making alot of money this quarter particuliarly with house show business up too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I wonder if it had anything to do with fans thinking Bret would make a run-in during the HBK/Vince match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I wonder if it had anything to do with fans thinking Bret would make a run-in during the HBK/Vince match?

I think it might have. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown of domestic against foreign buys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

They've really upped their overseas touring in the last 2 years, I'd say that's got to come into play in a big way

The big issue was that up until a few years ago including here, we were getting all the ppvs free and they have found that even if it is on at 1am there is still a market for it.

I think it was estimated that they'll lose 20-30000 ppv buys from the ECW ppv airing free in UK/Ireland. Its not a huge number but its not small either. I mean thats the average of what a TNA ppv does.

I think the big thing with all there overseas touring was because up until very recentely there domestic house show business was desperate. They did n't do a quarter of overseas touring in their boom periods in the late 1980s and late 1990s.

But continuous touring to places like UK could be overkill in the long run.

I think it was estimated that they'll lose 20-30000 ppv buys from the ECW ppv airing free in UK/Ireland. Its not a huge number but its not small either. I mean thats the average of what a TNA ppv does.

How do you know that? I didn't think TNA had ever released any of their ppv buy numbers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭the sunbabe wan

ecw ppv free??? sweeeeeettttt :D

Fozzy wrote:
    How do you know that? I didn't think TNA had ever released any of their ppv buy numbers

Wrestling observer. Theres a reason why they never publish it.

Its their typical number and the main reason why their losing so much money.Its just not big enough. There virtually doing the same ppv numbers that they were doing even before they got on Spike. They get no money from Spike either and its their only major revenue.

Here a breakdown of a few of their ppvs:
    Bound for Glory (2005) 35000
    Genesis (2005) 20000

A bit from Wikpedia on TNA too:
    Dixie Carter is an avid wrestling fan and has become highly involved with the day-to-day operation of the company. Panda Energy also appointed Chris Sobol, the Panda Manager of Business Development, as TNA Vice President of Operations and former Panda Energy executive Frank Dickerson as chief executive officer (Dickerson later left the company in November 2005, and was replaced by Kevin Day, who himself left the company in May 2006). TNA has continued to lose money since the takeover by Panda Energy, with costs of approximately $1,000,000 per month not offset by revenue, but Panda Energy has repeatedly reaffirmed their commitment to TNA.

They're a lot bigger now than they were even a year ago though. I'm sure they'll start to reap the rewards soon enough

Fozzy wrote:
    They're a lot bigger now than they were even a year ago though. I'm sure they'll start to reap the rewards soon enough

Well the problem is there not. More people obviously see them on a week to week basis but there not buying the ppvs. People are n't paying to watch their tv tapings. Their house show business is stop start.

Plus ever since they have been on Spike their numbers have n't grown. There always in the .8-1 range. And if you've got 700000 to 1 million people watching you on cable and your only getting 30 thousand buys, well thats a problem.

I don't want to be too down on them. I hope it works. Apparently there leaking less money these days which is good. But there not progressing.

Joe v Steiner will do business though. Thats their money match.

Advertisement