Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

"Kolo Toure will have no problem to play on Sunday," Wenger told the club's official website.

"Thierry Henry and Robin van Persie are a bigger problem. We have to wait a little bit but there is a doubt about both of them.

"Robin has hip problem. His [foot] got stuck in the pitch when he wanted to keep the ball on. There is a major doubt about him."

Meanwhile, Wenger has revealed Philippe Senderos, Gael Clichy, Lauren and Abou Diaby are still at least a month away from returning to action.

"You need to allow four to six weeks for all of them," he continued. "The first one back will be between Clichy and Senderos."
    Woo, imagine, a fully fit squad in six weeks! No doubt we'll pick up a load of injuries in one particular position before then and end up with Almunia playing outfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

woohoo after 2 years of united handing us our asses. get in there Ade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

As a Utd supporter I can say "wake up call" and we deserved fcuk all from the game....and got it !

Utd couldnt pass the ball 5 yards today :mad: Hard to know who was the home team :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Sizzler wrote:
    As a Utd supporter I can say "wake up call" and we deserved fcuk all from the game....and got it !

Utd couldnt pass the ball 5 yards today :mad: Hard to know who was the home team :eek:

I agree, I am too a United supporter. Although we had chances, probably better ones than Arsenal, we never deserved like winning the game and even a point seemed like robbery. Well done, Cesc Fabregas is a great player and will be world class midfielder in a few years. Hats off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

1-0. Boo yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Fúck yeah.

Ya know... I know that technically, points-wise, we'd be better off if we'd won our other 3 matches and lost today... And yet I'm much, much happier having dropped points in our other games but beating that lot in their own backyard...

Sweet.

Super-sweet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

w00t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Happy days a great performance. Could we could be seeing a lot more of 4-5-1 in the premiership?

Roddy23 wrote:
    Happy days a great performance. Could we could be seeing a lot more of 4-5-1 in the premiership?

I don't like the system but it seems to work very well for the Arse so... why not?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

At the weekend, the News Of the World were running a big TV advertising campaign about their exclusive about a big world cup star going to Arsenal. Due to legal reasons this story got pulled.

I've chatted to my contacts in the press, and they say the NOTW have clamped up tight and nothings getting out. They suggest there is an issue here with a possible "tapping up" of the player involved, and the story has been pulled,......for the moment.

I've been told who they think the player is, but I'm afraid I'm not going to publish it on an open forum. (Two reasons, 1. My contacts stand to lose a lot, if it leaks out, and 2. I don't fancy getting sued).

All I'm going to say is that the gooners are going to be extremely happy, if it comes off. It will surprise a lot of people, when it eventually comes out.

Taken from another forum

Anyone know who this player might be?

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:
    Taken from another forum

It's definitely Ronaldinho...

Suppose it could be Ribery, they were after him for a long time. I'll believe it when I see it. If there is tapping up involved on Arsenal's behalf I'd be very disappointed, with the amount of complaining the club have done about the tapping up of their players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I'm pretty sure it's Liam Miller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ronaldo of Real Madrid maybe?

could it be my dream signing of Gary and Phil Neville

*swoon*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

In fairness, the NOTW are hardly likely to break into a tv frenzy over the signing of Miller or Ribery - if its true, it has to be a big name......

Not that I'd call him a 'star' of the world cup, but Sky are rumbling about Beckham returning home

Ever since the NOTW printed that Vieira signed a new contract as a huge exclusive(when he did'nt and clearly stated that he had'nt which gave us all heart attacks), i've never have or will believe anything they print when it comes to us.

Andip wrote:
    Sky are rumbling about Beckham returning home

Beckham himself said he doesnt see himself going to the Premiership and how he could never play for anyone but Manchester United in the Premiership and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

If you think about it, the last thing Arsenal need is another central midfielder. A winger, they might want. But the only real 'star' wingers in the world at the moment are the likes of Robben, Ronaldo (never happen), Beckham (really, never happen) and... I'm struggling. Ribery, maybe, but there have been rumours about him for months and nobody really cared. They're never going to sign another big name striker after so successfully persuading Henry to stay. Same in central defense with Gallas coming in. So that leaves fullbacks and a goalkeeper. So who, then? Zambrotta? Heinze? Bring back Cole? Nah... I guess they could sign a new goalkeeper, but I think it's generally expected that they will do this anyway, and there were no heart attacks when Buffon was rumoured to be on his way.

In conclusion, bullshíte.

Unless it's John O'Shea.

If you think about it, the last thing Arsenal need is another central midfielder. A winger, they might want. But the only real 'star' wingers in the world at the moment are the likes of Robben, Ronaldo (never happen), Beckham (really, never happen) and... I'm struggling. Ribery, maybe, but there have been rumours about him for months and nobody really cared. They're never going to sign another big name striker after so successfully persuading Henry to stay. Same in central defense with Gallas coming in. So that leaves fullbacks and a goalkeeper. So who, then? Zambrotta? Heinze? Bring back Cole? Nah... I guess they could sign a new goalkeeper, but I think it's generally expected that they will do this anyway, and there were no heart attacks when Buffon was rumoured to be on his way.

In conclusion, bullshíte.

Unless it's John O'Shea.
    Good post, but if there is any substance behind the story it could easily be someone like Ribery or Buffon - it's not like the tabloids don't use hyperbole.

Left-back and goalkeeper seem the most likely positions for players to come in. Buffon would be lovely! A right winger to replace Ljungberg is a priority too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If this story is to be believed then you oculd only really deduce someone like Buffon(hope hope) or Trez(not so hope..great player, not needed).

Torres signed a new contract, Tevez and Mascherano are at West Ham, Zidane retired, we had Viera already, Messi and Ronaldhino aren't going anywhere. Besides Brazil had no stars of the world cup this time round. Ribery for France, Klose for Germany. Philip Lahm?

Right deductions:
    Buffon
    Grosso(heard he's ont he bench for inter at the mo)
    Ribery
    Trez
    Lahm
    Klose

They're about the only big stars of the WC that I can see moving.

Buffon or Lahm please!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just as an aside anyone know what the deal is with Red Memberships, I have been trying to join up since August and its been suspended with the message on the site saying it will be back soon?

Want to try and get to a match over there sometime soon !!!

http://www.arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25644

Abidal?????

Makes sense. Decent in the world cup, NOTW overhyped it.

Abidal looked a bit too Djimi Traore-esque at the WC for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I have Abidal at left back in my Champions League fantasy football team. Therefore, he is the best left back of all time. Arsenal should sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

gandalf wrote:
    Just as an aside anyone know what the deal is with Red Memberships, I have been trying to join up since August and its been suspended with the message on the site saying it will be back soon?

Want to try and get to a match over there sometime soon !!!

I bought my in July just after I returned from Bergkamps testimonial. I think they close signing up until next summer.

Went to the reserve game tonight that showcased Denilson (debut), Walcott, Merida and others. I don't think Denilson will be featuring for the senior side (Carling Cup maybe) soon. I don't mean that as a slight - he looked like quite a talented, clever player, but he wasn't used to the pace of the game and needs to fill out a fair bit physically too.

Song was excellent though, and really looks like a footballer at this level - he ran the show. Fran Merida and Mark Randall (both 16) also look like they'll be absolutely quality players in a few years time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Song seems to be slated in other forums though. HIs concentration is supposed to lapse sometimes.

Regarding the News of the World my first thought was of Buffon.

jank wrote:
    Song seems to be slated in other forums though. HIs concentration is supposed to lapse sometimes.

Regarding the News of the World my first thought was of Buffon.
    Well everyone I've talked to who was at the game thought he was excellent. There wasn't a player out there who didn't misplace the odd pass or have a lapse in concentration. Bar maybe Mart Poom, but he was a spectator!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Aquos76 wrote:
    Taken from another forum

Maybe Camorenesi :p

• Advertisement

Anthony Stokes scored the other night for Falkirk, that put them through to the CIS Quarter Final's. It was meant to be a peach of a goal, and he has been playing very well recently. Hopefully he'll do well up there, and make the break through next year into the First Team.

Went to the reserve game tonight that showcased Denilson (debut), Walcott, Merida and others.

I knew you weren't in Nepal!!

Anyway I was just wondering if there's any sign of Carlos Vela yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Roddy23 wrote:
    Anthony Stokes scored the other night for Falkirk, that put them through to the CIS Quarter Final's. It was meant to be a peach of a goal, and he has been playing very well recently. Hopefully he'll do well up there, and make the break through next year into the First Team.
    It wasn't the great goal I expected but it's a goal nonetheless. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6qoE1hhT7E

Also, this is from the Falkirk report of the previous match against Aberdeen:

"Stokes, by far Falkirk’s best player, then caused havoc in the Don’s defence, shuffling to the byeline before laying off a ball across goal but it took Twaddle by surprise and the youngster’s shot flew high over the bar to the utter dismay of the home support."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hehehe, "Strokes".

gosplan wrote:

As far as i know he's loaned to a spanish club(it was celta but they've too many foreigners now), basically all down to work permit problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Arturo Lupoli scored a 90 min equaliser for Derby County last night, he came on as a substitute after 47mins, but was then red carded in extra time for a second yellow for shirt pulling.

• Advertisement

MBC wrote:
    Arturo Lupoli scored a 90 min equaliser for Derby County last night, he came on as a substitute after 47mins, but was then red carded in extra time for a second yellow for shirt pulling.

Although how he got away with blatantly handling the ball for the equaliser I will never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I didn't see the goals last nite just read the report on sky. It did say he their was "strong suspicions of handball".

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hehehe, "Strokes".
    hehehe that made me smile too :)
    MBC wrote:
    I heard it was for spitting.

Carlos Vela is on loan at 2nd division Spanish club Salamanca, and doing well from what I've heard.

gosplan wrote:

found this on arseblog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug_aj4WJFAg

I heard it was for spitting.

Well he was shown shirt-pulling on the ITV highlights, but it was near the half-way line and the footage of him being given the red was inside the box. Now either the ref played on and then gave him the second yellow, or it was for something else, like spitting. Either way, the shirt-pulling probably warranted a yellow because it was on a counter attack.

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Well he was shown shirt-pulling on the ITV highlights, but it was near the half-way line and the footage of him being given the red was inside the box. Now either the ref played on and then gave him the second yellow, or it was for something else, like spitting. Either way, the shirt-pulling probably warranted a yellow because it was on a counter attack.
    Fair enough.

The Arsenal kids all seem to be doing well on loan at the moment. Both Bendtner and Lupoli scored in the CC as subs, bringing their goal tallies to 4 and 3 respectively. Stokes scoring for Falkirk, Muamba getting glowing match reports for the CC match, Gilbert doing well at promotion-chasing Cardiff, and Vela apparently doing well at Salamanca (news about him is a bit thin on the ground tbh).

Bendtner did it again on the weekend prompting a bit of discussion about him.

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_1540132,00.html

All good apart from the 'lets hope he emulates forsell'.

Forsell who? :p

Lets hope Arnesen keeps his hands off him, and lets hope he's not another alliadere, barrett, bentley etc.

Lupoli scores again for Derby. Seems to be doing alright for them now, after a slow start.

5 goals for both Lupoli and Bendtner now so far.

Van Persies 2nd goal, f'in hell wow!!!

2 boys doing well over, larssons doing good too. anything on Maumba?

Muamba hasn't played a great deal, heard Steve Bruce singing his praises recently though. The guy on Soccer Saturday who was watching the game today said that the 3 Arsenal kids (all started for Brum) were the only good players on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

RVP second goal Wow

Watched it live and again on MOTD

Best goal so far this season

clip here

RVP second goal Wow

Watched it live and again on MOTD

Best goal so far this season

clip here
    Definitely the best so far alright. Commentary there just makes it even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Falkirk play Celtic at 2.00 on Setanta if anyone wants to watch Stokes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement