Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Half time and Falkirk have been the better team. Stokes having a great game. He likes to position himself out wide and drift inside. Celtic's defence haven't looked this bad all month and Stokes is the main reason for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

stokes looked very good yesterday.
    would of been nice if he had of finished of the move where he sent 2 defenders flying on the 6 yard box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Looking at the Van Persie clip I found this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJkiMIU0vUY&mode=related&search=

LMFAO at the song, perhaps some of you would have heard it before but I hadn't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Clichy and Senderos made their reserve comebacks last night, hurrah!

Also Fabregas has admitted that his favourite TV program is Desperate Housewives! Best retract that new contract quick and flog him to Barca in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Walcott's 2 U21 goals against Germany:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=w1048836

Bloody hell, that second one is reminscient of a certain Frenchman... indeed, so is the first one.

Excellent goals. I'm actually suprised at that 2nd goal as it definitely looks like he has real quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

His turn of pace was electric..........looks just as fast as Thierry if not faster.

Just read there on the German Wikipedia (googled Thierry Henry 100 Meter) that Thierry can do a 100meter in 10.80 seconds :eek: . Wonder what Theo would do it in?

Caught the 2nd half of that game last nite, England were under a lot of pressure but when Theo came on he really made a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

MBC wrote:
    Just read there on the German Wikipedia (googled Thierry Henry 100 Meter) that Thierry can do a 100meter in 10.80 seconds :eek: . Wonder what Theo would do it in?

I'm almost sure that I read somewhere that Theo is faster than Henry. I also believe that Freddie is faster than Henry over 50 metres or thereabouts.

All in all good news for us Gooners :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Theo was a sprinter in school, remember hearing he could do it in 10 something.

I'm almost sure that I read somewhere that Theo is faster than Henry. I also believe that Freddie is faster than Henry over 50 metres or thereabouts.

lol, there's no way Freddie is faster than Thierry... he's got no pace at all anymore! He gets called 'slow-coach Freddie' around Emirates.

Bendtner's injury he picked up against Norn Iron doesn't seem serious fortunately so he should be back playing very soon. Good news, he looks a class act to me. Also:
    On-loan Derby County striker Arturo Lupoli marked his Italy Under-20 debut with a goal in his side's 4-2 friendly defeat by Austria.
    The 19-year-old, on a season-long loan with the Rams from Arsenal, netted with a cool finish from 12 yards.

But he also missed a penalty when his side were 3-2 down.
    Oops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Yeah i heard this a few years ago, it was one of the arsenal old boys who said it, maybe Dixon, and IIRC is was more like over 10 yards not 50.

Was it Redknap who said Theo could run over a puddle and not make a splash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heard clichy was faster than titi, just does'nt have 1/10th of the ball control. The thing that scares me is could theo be the next franny jeffers, banging them in for the U21's and that was about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

The thing that scares me is could theo be the next franny jeffers, banging them in for the U21's and that was about it.

No Theo is a class act, even in the few minutes that he has played for us this season he has done really well.........can see him being the next Henry defo. Also most of the young guns are flying at the moment for loan clubs and country which is really promising.

RVP scored again last nite for the Dutch, Thierry netted one also

RVP's on fire for the dutch at the mo, easily their best player.

• Advertisement

Stokes scored his first league goal for Falkirk today. He seems to be their best player by far since he joined which I suppose you'd expect if he's going to make it at Arsenal.

Heard clichy was faster than titi, just does'nt have 1/10th of the ball control. The thing that scares me is could theo be the next franny jeffers, banging them in for the U21's and that was about it.

Theo Walcott ≠ The next Francis Jeffers.

Clichy isn't as fast as Henry. Traore is fractionally slower than Titi and Clichy isn't as quick as Traore (nor is he as strong; I think Clichy's place will be strongly threatened by Traore in 2 years).

I've no worries about Theo being the next Pennant, Jeffers etc. For starters he's much more talented than either of them ever were, and secondly he's a very intelligent, grounded young lad. He isn't arrogant or thick, and he doesn't go wrapping other people's cars around trees with no driving license, nor do I ever see him playing football with a police tag around his ankle.

Good win yesterday. Bit lax defensively at times but the team is starting to purr going forward; there were moments yesterday that reminded me of the Invincibles. Rosicky and Hleb are just such class acts.

Incidentally Merida scored for the reserves again the other day. Also Wojciech Szczesny, Rui Fonte and Henri Lansbury have been added to the reserve list on Arsenal.com now (at last). The first is a young Polish keeper signed at the beginning of the summer, the second is a Portuguese striker signed near the end of the summer, and the third is a young academy grad (English despite the first name spelling). He's an English youth team captain and was player of the tournament at the Ado Den Haag youth tournament at Easter (Arsenal lost 2-1 in the final to Cruzeiro, beating Juve in the semis). I found him getting the award surprising as I hadn't heard of him before then, and the Arsenal youth team included the likes of Merida, Barazite, Randall, Simpson and a number of lads who are a bit older. Lansbury has barely just turned 16, and is a fixture on the Reserves bench at the mo.
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Stokes scored his first league goal for Falkirk today. He seems to be their best player by far since he joined which I suppose you'd expect if he's going to make it at Arsenal.
    I'd be very, very surprised if he makes it at Arsenal but good to see him doing well all the same. We (Ireland) certainly need all the quality forwards we can get.

Can see stokes being another bentley\barret unfortunately. Would love to see him make it tho. Would like to see more english youth\players make it too.

sidwell said he would'nt mind going to the arse, wenger always rated him and sad to see him go, he'd vieira and co in front of him at the time.

We finally got a plan b too in adebayor, he's great in the air, something we've been missing far too long. Was sick of teams just packing the midfield stopping us from playing the passing game. now we just hoof it up to ade.

Can see stokes being another bentley unfortunately.

Whats wrong with Bentley!?!? :)

• Advertisement

Lupoli scored again as well today.

Stokes would probably walk on to a lower Prem team like Watford, Wigan, Sheff Utd, etc. What is he doing up in Scotland. in fairness he does have mates up there. 3 ex arsenal players on squad. Stephen o'donnell, Paddy Cregg and Barrett.

Vela has also just scored for Salamanca apparently, he seems to be doing very well there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Irish Times referring to tonights match(although they probably robbed it from the guardian):

"Brazil under-19s captain Denilson is also included in the squad for the first time. The combative midfielder, 18, joined the club on transfer deadline day from his home-town club of Sao Paulo, and has had just one appearance for the reserves"

Wow, hopefully we go a couple of goals up early on and he's given a decent run out in the second half. People say Russia is about the hardest place to go to for a game so you can see it being benificial to young players.
    Plus I've only ever seen him on youtube so I'd love to see what he's like.

In other Arsenal news there's been two reports in the last couple of days about potential players.

First was Ribery(or his agent) stating that he wants to play at Arsenal someday.
    Second was the apparent news that Arsenal are in the race(again probably all agent talk) to sign Klass Van Huntelarr.

Anyway taking them one at a time.

Ribery is a great player but I can't really see how he'd be necessary.
    We've got loads if attacking winger/forwards and as far as I can tell a pretty complete squad. I still have no idea how or where Baptista will fit in so I think it would be senseless to buy anyone else for a midfield position. I think it would make sense if someone like Ljundberg is on his way out but still only just and it would cost a lot.

Huntelarr is great IMO. But buying him would basically be saying that Adebayor is not good enough and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure I can agree with that.

I generally feel that at the moment Arsenal have more potentially brilliant young players coming through then ever before in Merida, Vela, Lupoli, Denilson etc. Not so sure if we need any more big names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

gosplan wrote:
    Irish Times referring to tonights match(although they probably robbed it from the guardian):

"Brazil under-19s captain Denilson is also included in the squad for the first time. The combative midfielder, 18, joined the club on transfer deadline day from his home-town club of Sao Paulo, and has had just one appearance for the reserves"

Wow, hopefully we go a couple of goals up early on and he's given a decent run out in the second half. People say Russia is about the hardest place to go to for a game so you can see it being benificial to young players.
    Plus I've only ever seen him on youtube so I'd love to see what he's like.

In other Arsenal news there's been two reports in the last couple of days about potential players.

First was Ribery(or his agent) stating that he wants to play at Arsenal someday.
    Second was the apparent news that Arsenal are in the race(again probably all agent talk) to sign Klass Van Huntelarr.

Anyway taking them one at a time.

Ribery is a great player but I can't really see how he'd be necessary.
    We've got loads if attacking winger/forwards and as far as I can tell a pretty complete squad. I still have no idea how or where Baptista will fit in so I think it would be senseless to buy anyone else for a midfield position. I think it would make sense if someone like Ljundberg is on his way out but still only just and it would cost a lot.

Huntelarr is great IMO. But buying him would basically be saying that Adebayor is not good enough and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure I can agree with that.

I generally feel that at the moment Arsenal have more potentially brilliant young players coming through then ever before in Merida, Vela, Lupoli, Denilson etc. Not so sure if we need any more big names.

I agree on Huntelarr. The squad doesn't need any more young strikers, you even forgot to add Walcott to that list of young players in the mix. I'd love to see Van Persie get an extended run in the team instead of dropping him for Adebayor after he wins us the game against Charlton.

Ljungberg's days at Arsenal I feel are numbered. He can't stay fit and his performances aren't a patch on the player he was a few years ago. Assuming he leaves the team do need another winger. If Ribery comes then it'd be a very strong side down the wing being able to rotate Rosicky/Hleb/Ribery.

Nobodys knows exactly where Baptista will play but it definitely won't be down the wing so Ribery coming in won't affect his place in the team. It looks like Wenger sees Baptista as the powerful striker he was for Sevilla, but after wanting to ease him into English football he's finding it tough to put him in the team. Himself, Van Persie and Adebayor all fighting it out to be Henry's strike partner. A great position for the team. I think each one can bring something different and Wenger can use them when he sees tactically fit. Unfortunately for RVP (big fan of his) I think he's a bit too like Henry and the rest of the team, alot of skill and pace. Adebayor does seem to work quite well as the plan b, and Baptista won't get bullied around by teams like Bolton. Although if Henry gets injured I don't think Arsenal are as screwed as everyone would like to think. Stick RVP in with Adebayor or Baptista and it's still a great strike force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Any of you lot going to the Newcastle Match?? I have used my red membership for the first time and would like to meet up for a few drinks if anyone is heading over or around.

Fabregas has apparently signed an EIGHT year deal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

messing about with Google earth and had a look at Highbury. what is that on the pitch?

Mossy Monk wrote:
    messing about with Google earth and had a look at Highbury. what is that on the pitch?

I'd imagine they are artificial light machines like they have at Croker to help the grass grow as sunlight doesn't reach all area's of the pitch.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'd imagine they are artificial light machines like they have at Croker to help the grass grow as sunlight doesn't reach all area's of the pitch.
    Yup.

Cesc has indeed signed the 8 year deal, it's on Arsenal.com now. Fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Yup.

Cesc has indeed signed the 8 year deal, it's on Arsenal.com now. Fantastic news.

Fair play to him putting all the Madrid speculation out of the ball park before it really took off (I could have seen that turn into another media Viera-fest each summer).

He's a great player, if he continues to progress at the current rate, who knows what he will be like in 5-6 years.

Pepe, any idea what the story is regarding Stokes? He's off at falkirk now with 2 goals in 6, is that just for action or is he on his way out? I don't see much chance of him ever breaking into the first team the way they are acquiring forwards.

I notice Barrett went from Arsenal to Falkirk too!

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    Fair play to him putting all the Madrid speculation out of the ball park before it really took off (I could have seen that turn into another media Viera-fest each summer).

He's a great player, if he continues to progress at the current rate, who knows what he will be like in 5-6 years.

Pepe, any idea what the story is regarding Stokes? He's off at falkirk now with 2 goals in 6, is that just for action or is he on his way out? I don't see much chance of him ever breaking into the first team the way they are acquiring forwards.

I notice Barrett went from Arsenal to Falkirk too!
    As did Patrick Cregg and Stephen O'Donnell (not sure if O'Donnell went directly between the two).

Not sure on Stokes. I'm pretty sure he won't make it at Arsenal, but then I could say that about most of the youths. Very good all-round player who will be a premiership player I think, if not immediately. He'll definately play for Ireland quite a lot in the future (though the same was said about Barrett, but Stokes is a much bigger talent than he ever was IMO).

... and Stokes scores 2 for Falkirk! Also scored for the Ireland U21s recently apparently.

Kerrea Gilbert was sent off in injury time for Cardiff.

On today's game against Reading today, Arsenal were fantastic, they cut them to shreds. The playmaking trio of Fabregas, Rosicky and Hleb were just amazing.

... and Stokes scores 2 for Falkirk! Also scored for the Ireland U21s recently apparently.

Yeah, himself and Andy Keogh have a good partnership.

I would like to see if he scores regularly, will he even get a cup run back at arsenal.

On today's game against Reading today, Arsenal were fantastic, they cut them to shreds. The playmaking trio of Fabregas, Rosicky and Hleb were just amazing.
    Indeed, scary, although I think Reading were poor on the day.

I think if they can deal with teams who play negatively against them, arsenal will be near unstoppable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

gandalf wrote:
    Any of you lot going to the Newcastle Match?? I have used my red membership for the first time and would like to meet up for a few drinks if anyone is heading over or around.

Few lads going over from the supporters club think they will all be in the 12 pins for a pre match drink will try to see what flight they are on maybe early red eye on the sat ?

spread the word the westmoreland is closing & under new management so the Bridge in Westmoreland st is our new 'temporary' venue until we find out what the new owners are doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Cool I'm heading over the Friday (no accom sorted yet) cause I need a bit of a break. Was going to head into the Westmoreland today but had a touch of flu after I went to the Leinster match last night without enough layers (well it was warm earlier in the day!!).

Excellent win today as well (plus Thierry and Cesc did a lot of good for my Fantasy team as well!!().

Hleb shot and did'nt tried to pass it into the net, delighted to see him score and play so well. He's getting alot of undeserved stick on other forums.

Another 3 goals for Stokes yesterday...

eirebhoy wrote:
    Another 3 goals for Stokes yesterday...

And an assist. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

When BelfieldFM was on the air last week, I had my own football show; Off The Crossbar at 6pm, (back on air on November 6th).
    Just thought I'd get a plug in there!;)

Anyway we were talkin' bout Anthony Stokes, and I opined that he'll make it as a striker of Premiership quality, but that it won't be at Arsenal.
    I see no reason to change that opinion. Of the 5 players ahead of him in the pecking order at Ashburton Grove, only Thierry is over 25. Barring a catastrophic injury crisis or mass exodus, Stokes will have to leave to get first-team football. Or continue to go out on loan like he is now, (and obviously v successfully judging by yesterday's performance).

• Advertisement

When BelfieldFM was on the air last week, I had my own football show; Off The Crossbar at 6pm, (back on air on November 6th).
    Just thought I'd get a plug in there!;)

Anyway we were talkin' bout Anthony Stokes, and I opined that he'll make it as a striker of Premiership quality, but that it won't be at Arsenal.
    I see no reason to change that opinion. Of the 5 players ahead of him in the pecking order at Ashburton Grove, only Thierry is over 25. Barring a catastrophic injury crisis or mass exodus, Stokes will have to leave to get first-team football. Or continue to go out on loan like he is now, (and obviously v successfully judging by yesterday's performance).
    What I worry about is I've yet to hear one person say that Stokes will make it at Arsenal. Even Graham Barrett was thought of as the next best thing. Is it soley down to the fact that Arsenal have too much quality to break through?

Too much quality. In the senior squad at the moment there is Henry (29), Van Persie (23), Aliadiere (23), Adebayor (21) and possibly Baptista (24).

Stokes (18) is one of four strikers on-loan who are producing the goods. Stokes has 7 goals in 8 games in Scotland, but then there is also Bendtner (18), Lupoli (19) and Vela (17).

Bendtner already has 2 goals in 3 senior internationals for Denmark and about 6 goals so far for Birmingham. I've watched him and I have to say he looks an absolute class act, he's got tremendous talent and a towering physique too.

Lupoli on the other hand is a lightweight midget, but also has 6 goals for Derby despite occasionally being played out of position on the left wing. He's a natural goalscorer - scored a brace on his Italy U21 debut I think and his scoring rate at the lower levels is phenomenal, at Arsenal and before in Italy where he broke Del Piero's youth scoring record while partnering United's Guiseppe Rossi.

Lastly there is Vela, who is the youngest of the four but exceptionally highly regarded in Mexico, who mostly seem to view himself and Dos Santos as their future. He was the top scorer at the U17 world cup which Mexico won, and has been scoring well for Salamanca in the Spanish second division this season. He links up with Arsenal next summer.

There's far more striking talent at Arsenal now than there ever was when Barrett was around. Last season Bendtner and Lupoli kept Stokes confined to the wing for the reserves, until Lupoli got injured. This for me means that Stokes HAS to move. I remember when he was being compared to Alan Shearer at 15 and I really don't want to see him converted into a midfielder. He's a striker and that's what Ireland need more imo.

Oh, Djourou has signed a new 6 year deal. Great news, he's getting better and better with every game.

Football365 has an interesting statistic: In Arsenal's 3 1-1 draws in the PL this season, the corner counter stands at 49 for, 4 against. The goal count from these corners? 0 for, 2 against.

Wenger really needs to sort it out, it's been costing the team points for far too long and with the bar raised by Chelsea, it just won't do anymore.

Pepe wrote:
    Bendtner already has 2 goals in 3 senior internationals for Denmark and about 6 goals so far for Birmingham. I've watched him and I have to say he looks an absolute class act, he's got tremendous talent and a towering physique too.

He scored again tonight!

The sad thing is, I don't think any of those you've listed will breakthrough. I think Anelka is the only young gunner to have come through as a forward since Wenger took over (and Wenger brought him there anyway).

I think Stokes should move ASAP really. As much as I'd like to see him break though, I don't think it is going to happen. He has fantastic talent, applies himself, broke alot of youth scoring records at arsenal and seems to be scoring freely in a weak falkirk team.

I honestly think he'd do well at a team like Newcastle.

Too much quality. In the senior squad at the moment there is Henry (29), Van Persie (23), Aliadiere (23), Adebayor (21) and possibly Baptista (24).

Stokes (18) is one of four strikers on-loan who are producing the goods. Stokes has 7 goals in 8 games in Scotland, but then there is also Bendtner (18), Lupoli (19) and Vela (17).

You know, I'm beginning to wonder if Stokes or a player like him might be the solution to the Gunners scoring problems at the moment.

The fact of the matter is, no matter how glittering the football, Arsenal are not putting enough chances away - as seen in both games against Moscow.

Looking at the players they have, maybe Aliadere and Adebayor could be classified as a centre forward in the old fashioned english style, but Adebayor isn't really (no matter how well he does, he just seems like a cross between a skillful player and a strong lumper) and Aliadere has nice touches but still is more flashie than say the likes of Shearer, Bent, Phillips (in his prime).

I wonder would a Strong classic centre forward reap dividends for the gunners?

Definately need a centre forward, an ugly player with no skill who just knows one thing, stick it in the net or shoot no matter what.

• Advertisement

Definately need a centre forward, an ugly player with no skill who just knows one thing, stick it in the net or shoot no matter what.
    Knee-jerk reaction if ever I saw one, there's already Henry, Baptista, Van Persie, Adebayor, Aliadiere, Walcott, Bendtner, Lupoli, Vela and Stokes on the clubs books.

Knee-jerk reaction if ever I saw one, there's already Henry, Baptista, Van Persie, Adebayor, Aliadiere, Walcott, Bendtner, Lupoli, Vela and Stokes on the clubs books.

Been saying it on arseblog for the past 3 years. that or someone who can knock highballs down, which we have in Ade now.

Falkirk striker Anthony Stokes has been named as the SPL's young player of the month for October.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6109734.stm

Anyone know what his sell-on fee is? :D

Christ he got another hat trick today.

Christ he got another hat trick today.

I think he's talking the piss of the scottish league at this point.

He was playing keepy-uppy by the corner flag as the Dunfermline defence tried to tackle him.

10 goals in 9 games now? Phew!

Be good to see how he plays against Celtic this week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement