Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yeah, don't panic everyone but there may not be a quick fix solution to Arsenals current problems.

I mean the last truly great Arsenal season in the premiership was the unbeaten one. Campbell, Viera and Pires were all on top of their game playing the football of their lives. They were however seasoned pros who could go away to tough places and not be phased by it. Vieras toughness in midfiled gave Arsenal a quality that hasn't been replaced yet. Don't get me wrong, Viera wouldn't be able to do it now and he needed to go but filling that gap isn't so easy.

It wasn't true that you can't win anything with kids back when utd went on their roll but it is now. The premiership is ten times as competitive. Arsenal are building a squad for the future in the only way they can. It's impossible to match the finances of Utd and Chelsea so you have to think long term.

The squad is perfect but young and new. Give them a couple of years and they'll be challenging but it's pointless to even try at the moment when the previous winners can just go out and add Ballack and Shevchenko to their team in the summer.

Signings are not the answer. A mature team who have spent a few years playing together is.

In all honesty I think that Arsenal might have 1 or 2 years at or around the very top before Henry retires. It won't come this or next year though so you'll all have to be satisfied that they play the best football and are most enjoyable to watch.

Also hurry back Eboue, you're being missed!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭ghost26ie

Knee-jerk reaction if ever I saw one, there's already Henry, Baptista, Van Persie, Adebayor, Aliadiere, Walcott, Bendtner, Lupoli, Vela and Stokes on the clubs books.

i disagree with that. they have players there who can do the brilliant, the fantastic, but not the simple. the amount of chances they have wasted trying to 'walk' the ball into the back of the net. they need a goal poacher, somebody to sit in the box and feed of the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

ghost26ie wrote:
    i disagree with that. they have players there who can do the brilliant, the fantastic, but not the simple. the amount of chances they have wasted trying to 'walk' the ball into the back of the net. they need a goal poacher, somebody to sit in the box and feed of the others.

You don't miss chances by trying to walk the ball into the back of the net. You miss out on chances by trying to walk the ball into the back of the net. Arsenal have created plenty of chances this year but their finishing has been awful. The bad results this year are mainly down to dreadful finishing and not over elaborative play. That's not to say they don't over elborate sometimes, but don't fall into the media trap that it is the source of all Arsenal's problems. The strikers just need some (ok, alot of) bloody target practice, they certainly don't need to go out and buy another Franny Jeffers.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ghost26ie wrote:
    I just listed Arsenal's forwards, in which pretty much every type of striker is covered, including what you mentioned above. Some of them are young but they are all quality.

What you've just posted is what gets recycled by the likes of Alan Hansen ad nauseum whenever Arsenal have an off day, and it's a tired cliché. Arsenal's problem is not that the lack an orthodox goal-poaching striker, they haven't had one for years and until last season it was generally impossible to stop them scoring. The problem isn't a lack of shots on goal in persuit of passing the ball into the net for the 'perfect goal'. Arsenal are creating lots and lots of chances, they just keep missing them. At the moment, the midfielders who have replaced Pires and Ljungberg are not nearly as clinical. Henry isn't well suited to a lone-striker role against teams that play deep, Van Persie is out of position and ineffective, and thus goals are proving hard to come by.

There is a general lack of confidence in front of goal for a number of players, especially Van Persie and Rosicky. Arsenal need to cut-out the lapses in defensive concentration (difficult when they are smothering teams like they are lately, but it has to be done) and gain some confidence in goal. If a player needs to be brought in, it's in midfield to replace Ljungberg and get some goals.

What you've just posted is what gets recycled by the likes of Alan Hansen ad nauseum whenever Arsenal have an off day, and it's a tired cliché.

Have to agree with this. After the Moscow game I was just waiting for one the the 'experts' to bring this up, it was sky after all. However it was only Richard Keys that mentioned it and he was told to shut up fairly soon after. Quite refreshing actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

As long as souness is'nt somehow involved in the deal, it should be great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Little thing Sky did on Highbury/Ashburton earlier. Missed the start of it, apologies!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vwuynv

Denilson got called up to the brazil squad, he could play for brazil but he gets his full arsenal debut. Also matthew conolly was asked to train with the england squad, then again they were at Arsenals training ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Little thing Sky did on Highbury/Ashburton earlier. Missed the start of it, apologies!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/vwuynv

no sound and 1 minute 58 seconds of video

just me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Mossy Monk wrote:
    no sound and 1 minute 58 seconds of video

just me?
    no such problem here

I just realised how much I hate Arsenal's current crest compared to their fancier old crest which reminds me of the Ian Wright days.

I suppose it would bother me a lot more if I was an actual fan... still my second favourite team in England right now though.

Hard luck on Saturday, typical Newcastle. Shay Given always has it in for you.

Stokes scored again for Falkirk today (goal #13 I think) but later got sent off for 2 yellows.

Bendtner scored for Birmingham, bringing his total to 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

The BBC surely aren't correct in saying Walcott is starting against Bolton? Does Arsene want to kill him? I'd have thought Bappers a better bet.

Urgh.

I thought Arsenal were going to win yesterday until I saw the teamsheet. No Baptista or Hleb, Flamini and Ljungberg instead.

No complaints here, Bolton thoroughly deserved to win yesterday. Yes Arsenal hit the woodwork three times and created a lot of chances, but if you defend like that you deserve to lose. Less than 10 mins in, Toure gives Faye a free header from a corner. Is it not going to be difficult enough without doing that? 2 class goals from Anelka mind you, he's still got it... What a player he could have been.

Arsenal. Negatives:

I love Freddie but he has to go. He's been sh1te for two years and I've constantly defended him, but I can't do so anymore. I'd love for him to rediscover his form but I just can't see it happening. He offers the team nothing. He can't beat a man, he can't score, he can't create, and he can't tackle. He just moans at the ref when HE gets tackled and gets himself booked. Embarrassing. Lehmann was stupid getting himself booked for moaning over nothing, but he's got a screw loose. I like that in a player!

Clichy and Eboue still have a lot to learn defensively, but I'm willing to give them time. Eboue has only really been playing top level football for a year and Clichy has been injured for a long time. Clichy also needs to improve once he gets to the by-line.

Flamini is not good enough. He's also small, and more height in the team is needed. Ditto Adebayor (the not good enough part, not the small part).

From what I hear the only players who applauded the away support after the game were Walcott and Gilberto (two proper gents). Very bad show.

Positives:

Theo is an absolute diamond. He is going to be fantastic. He is ready to play regularly. He was completely unfazed by Bolton yesterday, so he can handle himself anywhere else too.

Big Phil had a good game and is not rated enough by some people I feel. I'd prefer Gallas at LB and Phil & Kolo at CB to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Bendtner scored again for Birmingham yesterday, BBC says thats 9 goals for him now but I'm not sure if that has been updated, I was sure it was 9 before yesterday.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_headline=he-s-fab-in-poll%26method=full%26objectid=18196769%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

Well deserved for Cesc. Incredible talent.

Interesting stories about Henry and Baptista at the moment. Wenger seems to be laying down the law with regards to Henry, which I'm pleased with. He hasn't been right at all thus far this season, and it needs to be sorted out.

Oh, and it's something I've been noticing for a while now, but Gilberto is a great captain. Whenever he has the armband on he seems to come out of his shell, plays much better and rallies the troops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I read that Henry is out until New Year. Back just in time for FA Cup exit ;)

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2093-2483872,00.html

Mike.

argh, so thought we were going to win today.

bloody scumski!

2 for flamini in a week :D

• Advertisement

1-1 against Chelsea away without Henry, Toure and Gallas is a great result and could (should) have been alot worse. Unfortunately the fact it's a great result shows how far Arsenal have come since 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

1-1 against Chelsea away without Henry, Toure and Gallas is a great result and could (should) have been alot worse. Unfortunately the fact it's a great result shows how far Arsenal have come since 2004.

Shows how far Chelsea have come as well though, don't forget. As far as I know they haven't lost at the Bridge in the Premiership under José, so a draw (especially with such a young defence and no Thierry) isn't a bad result at all, even if it could/should have been worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

According to the Herald this evening:
    'Duff has been bolstered by the presence of Stephen Carr and Shay Given at Newcastle but recent gossip around the Emirates Stadium points to the possibility of a surprise move by Arsenal for Ireland's first choice goalkeeper."

Anyone else heard anything about this? I'd like to think there's a bit of truth to it but haven't seen it anywhere else.

cashback wrote:
    According to the Herald this evening:
    'Duff has been bolstered by the presence of Stephen Carr and Shay Given at Newcastle but recent gossip around the Emirates Stadium points to the possibility of a surprise move by Arsenal for Ireland's first choice goalkeeper."

Anyone else heard anything about this? I'd like to think there's a bit of truth to it but haven't seen it anywhere else.
    Arsenal rumours have surrounded him for years. He recently signed a 5 year contract so I can't see them meeting his current valuation anytime soon.

Arsenal have asked supporters not to bring national flags to matches at the Emirates Stadium.

The move comes after some fans have been upset at the waving of certain countries' colours.

"Arsenal as a club prides itself on being inclusive with respect to all nationalities, cultural and ethnic groups," read a club statement.

"We are asking that only Arsenal flags, without any national emblems, are displayed within the stadium."

The statement added: "We will be implementing this policy with immediate effect."
    http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6187983.stm

Upset? People are actually offended by national flags? Don't Arsenal regularly field completely non-English sides? :confused:

Probably more a case of annoyed about it. I know one particular long-time Arsenal attendee who has this pet hate. I kinda agree with him to be honest, who gives a sh1t where you're from. If you want to bring a flag, bring an Arsenal one.

I was in France for the weekend so I missed all the action - just saw Aliadiere started and Baptista didn't even make the bench, so it looks like he'll be going back to Real. I hear Freddie got injured and Theo got both assists, so looks like he'll be getting a deserved run in the team now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Was at the match yesterday and I have to say the atmosphere was fantastic. The first half wasn't he best by any means but once Adebayor came on, his play inspired the crowd and we really got behind the team. Unfortuantely had he started it could have been a better result, but I was delighted to get over and coming from 2-0 down a draw ain't bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I dont know what wenger is doing with baptista. He was so coveted a year and a half ago, now he is having a hard time making the team.

Least Ali will **** off somewhere now.

Newstalk said it was an Israeli flag from the Spurs game that instigated the ban on all non-Arsenal flags.

I thought I'd revive this thread as the January window is fast approaching!

Wenger (and Dein) have said they won't be buying but that means nothing really.

There have been regular rumours about Wenger wanting a left-back as we're short there, and we've been linked to Bale and Baines recently. Bale I could see being of interest to Wenger, but not Baines - that strikes me as paper talk. However Bale is very young himself (and pricey) and I feel we need a bit more experience there. I'd like someone with a bit of power who can also play CB, someone like Eric Abidal - I know Lyon weren't willing to sell in the summer, but I do recall their president indicating they might soften their stance later.

The other position we've been linked to regularly is on the wing, with Puerta and Navas of Sevilla being linked recently, as well as others like Ribery. I don't know much about Puerta, but from what I hear Navas is a special needs child (Reyes times 1000), so I'll be very surprised if Wenger goes for him. He's also a right sider and we're well stocked on the right. We need a left footer.

Other than that we've been linked to every goalkeeper under the sun (Gordon, Amelia, Waidenfeller, Boruc, Hildebrande and others), and a few youngsters. We were also linked a Turkish CB a few days ago.

I'd like a left winger and a left back/centreback please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

kinaldo wrote:
    Newstalk said it was an Israeli flag from the Spurs game that instigated the ban on all non-Arsenal flags.

I'd heard it was a dispute between Greek- and Turkish-Cypriot fans of the Goons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

A left back would be very nice.
    Clichy isnt doing aswell as I hoped but he is still young and should get better.

left back would be ideal and although not essential, another striker

I don't think another striker is needed at the moment, considering Baptista is still settling in. If he doesn't work out bring in another in the summer, but he should at least get a crack of the whip. Adebayor and Van Persie are both in good form, and Henry should be back soon. The kids on loan are doing well enough to suggest that at least one of them will be in contention next season too.

I forgot to mention that Akinfeev, the Russian national team keeper, was linked recently too, and he came out in the press saying a move to Arsenal would be of interest to him. He's looked very impressive whenever I've seen him, and he's only 20. Himself, Boruc, Hildebrande, Amelia and Gordon all look to be good keepers and in the right age bracket to replace Lehmann (or be temporary understudy).

I'd heard it was a dispute between Greek- and Turkish-Cypriot fans of the Goons.
    Yeah I also heard that on Talksport recently. Either way, banning all flags there seems like a bit of a silly overreaction. It certainly won't help improve their supposedly poor atmosphere.

Just looking at the fixture list and the next 2 games are a big chance for Arsenal to break away from the other teams chasing 3rd place. Sheffield United away are up next, but Warnock was saying he might rest players AND they have apparently been struck down with a virus, so Arsenal should really win this. After that it is Charlton at home, which Arsenal should win too.

Meanwhile Liverpool, Bolton, Portsmouth and Spurs are playing eachother in the next 2 games, so some of them are gauranteed to drop points.

Bolton play Pompey at home, then Liverpool away.
    Spurs play Liverpool at home, then Pompey away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The Sheffield utd. match could end up being a bit tricky because accoring to BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/eng_prem/6205685.stm
    "Arsenal are without Emmanuel Adebayor (thigh), Alexander Hleb (shin), Theo Walcott (back), Emmanuel Eboue (ankle) and Johan Djourou (hamstring).

Brazilian Julio Baptista gets a rare start despite suffering from a virus."

What sorta formation will wenger play now i wonder?, without hleb and walcott on the right and rosicky not really being much of a winger anyway, and then of course theres up front where there isnt really any out and out stiker available, except perhaps aliadiere

Yeah I just saw that myself, **** it. Fabregas and Aliadiere are also sick but are travelling anyway.

sorry off-topic but Kinaldo, is that the new newcastle badge for next season in your sig??

Back to Arsenal - It might be a great chance for Stokes to return if Arsenal are missing a few players like Aliadiere, Baptista, Adebayor and Henry and with Bendtner and Lupoli staying at Brum/Derby respective until the end of the season.

sorry off-topic but Kinaldo, is that the new newcastle badge for next season in your sig??
    No it's one of two old crests we used during the mid 70s and through the 80s until 88/89 when we started using our present one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Just read on skysports that Arturo Lupoli wants to return to Italy next season.............I thought he would be a star of the future and would be happy at Arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Arsenal mustnt have much interest in him - he's contract is expiring in June and there does'nt seem to be talk of renewal. Lupoli is making all sorts of noises about going back to italy or signing full time for Derby, providing they get promotion.
    It is strange considering some of the stuff that was said about his ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm fairly sure the talk is about him going back to Italy, not him signing for Derby. I assume Arsenal want to sign him up again, but he wants to go back home?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

PHB wrote:
    I'm fairly sure the talk is about him going back to Italy, not him signing for Derby. I assume Arsenal want to sign him up again, but he wants to go back home?

"Im going home" http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=439556&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=&title=Lupoli+eyes+Italian+return

"Im interested in Derby" http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=436461&plid=40645&clid=24&cpid=10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, I think he has changed his mind since the interest from Italy

Seems that Arsenal want to keep him but aren't that pushed about it. Quality player but I imagine he'd be more suited to Serie A or La Liga. He's very slight.

Looks like Arsenal's injury crisis may finally be coming to an end, touch wood. Lauren, Diaby and Gallas are all back in training, which is fantastic news. All powerful, battling players. Baptista and Eboue are fit again, while Adebayor, Ljungberg and Walcott should all be back soon.

Could be out of both cups by then unfortunately, but their returns should boost the league and CL campaigns. Hopefully the squad will stay relatively injury free for the second half the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Hat trick for Lupoli today in Debry's Fa Cup third round game against Wrexham.

Sad to see freddy go if its true. Will we see more of theo or will he get someone in. some were saying one of the reasons that there was a supossed rift with titi was that titi wanted SWP.

Also sad to see Freddie go but in fairness it's been three years since he won a game for Arsenal.

I'm sure people can come up with an isolated case otherwise but I just feel injuries and form have stopped him over the last few seasons.

For a winger, he can be quite tenacious in defence. This is handy when doing the European 5-man midfield thing, but that's not enough to keep him on.

In reality, he's been so often absent that I haven't considered him when going through the Arsenal squad for a while.

Hopefully he'll get in a good team and start enjoying his football again like Sol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/sunderland/6235101.stm

i am annoyed at this. the guy can score goals

• Advertisement

gosplan wrote:
    Also sad to see Freddie go but in fairness it's been three years since he won a game for Arsenal.

I'm sure people can come up with an isolated case otherwise but I just feel injuries and form have stopped him over the last few seasons.

For a winger, he can be quite tenacious in defence. This is handy when doing the European 5-man midfield thing, but that's not enough to keep him on.

In reality, he's been so often absent that I haven't considered him when going through the Arsenal squad for a while.

Hopefully he'll get in a good team and start enjoying his football again like Sol.
    Eh? Am I missing something here?

It is time for Freddie to go but I've heard nothing of any note about it happening. Some website put up an amusing "Spurs want to sign 20 year old Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg" story about how he'd have to take a paycut to join them, but that's it.

// edit - just saw the NOTW story. Large pinch of salt required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement