Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Diaby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

doubt it. I think Reyes actually did more for the team, Baptista works a lot harder but has nothing else really to his game that i can see, at least Reyes could pull off something decent now and again and set up a few goals. He'd be a waste of money.

No I definitely agree. Reyes was far more effective and did get the odd goal, playing from midfield mostly.

I meant even with Reyes going back to Arsenal or being sold on and Madrid just saying 'screw it, you can have Baptista for nothing' I still don't think Baptista would even be worth his wages. Has been truly awful this year. I've never seen a Brazillian with a worse touch than him.

Diaby looks quite handy, and although he runs like Vieira I don't think he's a similar player. He looks alot more skillful than Vieira whilst not being the 'destroyer of a midfield player' that Vieira is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Diaby.

He's good and could be great, of that theres no doubt. However I don't think he has the presence Vieira had. Fair play to him in coming back from that horrific injury, there was noises at the time that he wouldn't play again. Still can't believe that Sunderland fecker (Think it was Dan Brown) only got yellow for it. You'd imagine if an Arsenal player had done that tackle......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yeah, Baptista really hasn't impressed at all. His goal against Reading recently was comical. He seemed to mis-control it straight at the defender, who was so surprised, he fell over it! Really, his touch is shocking, and his goal rate is pretty poor also.

At the moment, the state of Arsenal is pretty depressing. I can't remember the last time we were struggling for goals this badly (probably the George Graham era). I wouldn't blame it on the strikers really... we don't even seem to be creating any clear-cut chances at the moment. Its a miracle we're in 3rd place in the table. Wenger's luck in the transfer market seems to have finally run out. Rosicky and Hleb are alright, but nowhere near the class necessary to win trophies. £18m badly spent (and not likely to be recouped), if you ask me.

mr_angry wrote:
    At the moment, the state of Arsenal is pretty depressing. I can't remember the last time we were struggling for goals this badly (probably the George Graham era). I wouldn't blame it on the strikers really... we don't even seem to be creating any clear-cut chances at the moment. Its a miracle we're in 3rd place in the table. Wenger's luck in the transfer market seems to have finally run out. Rosicky and Hleb are alright, but nowhere near the class necessary to win trophies. £18m badly spent (and not likely to be recouped), if you ask me.
    Em, surprised to see you post that. Aliadiere in particular has had loads of clear cut chances. The finishing has just been dreadful.

The club has the 3rd most goals scored in the prem. Goals are a problem at the moment, but the team has been missing their 3 first choice strikers. How many teams wouldn't struggle with that problem? I think it is clear that Baptista and Aliadiere aren't up to it but I doubt they'll be here next season.

I think it is an achievement to be third in the table considering the injury problems the team has had with Henry, Van Persie, Gallas and Eboue, as well as the persistent little injuries to Hleb, Rosicky and so on.

Finally, Hleb has been cack since returning from injury at the beginning of the year, but he was great for the first half of the season, especially in tandem with Eboue. Rosicky I think has had a decent first season and has been a good buy. Freddie needs to be replaced though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I hope Wenger offloads both Baptista and Hleb. They have more terrible games than decent ones and both give the ball away far too cheaply, undermining the team's tactics.

I think I see the logic in the white/red away jersey, so they can wear the third choice jersey more often, money. ie: they can sell more jerseys in total.

Anyway, I hate red letters on the back of shirts. The last shirt I remember having those was Man United's grey jersey. The players complained that it was too hard to make out who they were passing it to.

Massive game tomorrow. Win and 4th place is almost secured, lose and it'll most likely be UEFA cup football next season.
    It has been confirmed that Kroenke Sports Enterprises have a total stake in Arsenal of just over 11 per cent.
    Only a matter of time really. I don't think it'll negatively effect the club though.

Something Arsenal related that is positive for a change - posted by a UD Salamanca fan about Carlos Vela on another forum:
    As you may know, Carlos Vela is playing a great season in Salamanca, he came from Arsenal with a 1-year contract and has grown impressively this year. If he takes care of himself, he will surely become a world class forward towards wing.

I've watched around 15 matches in which he participated, and he is amazing. He's fast, great dribbler (I don't know if this is the right word), has scored 9 goals even playing as a left offensive winger, he just played one game as central forward.

His passing good, he has given 4 or 5 goals to Braulio, our central striker. I don't know what "knock off the ball" means, but if it means if it's easy to rob him the ball, it is not, he covers it perfectly and usually defenders kick or tackle him (and get yellow/red card).
    Hopefully he'll be more Pires than Reyes. Apparently Salamanca's directors are in London to discuss whether they can have him (and others) on loan next season.

Yeah, It'll be interesting to see how Vela and Bendtner do when they come back. Hopefully they'll be better than Baptista anyway. Another young player I hope comes back is Fabrice Muamba, more than a hint of Vieira about him.

As for champions league, at the end of a dire run of results the last team Arsenal need to be playing is fcuking bolton :eek:

Great to finally beat Bolton, with a Cesc goal no less.
    Salamanca sports director Miguel Torrecilla has revealed Arsenal are going on a recruiting drive for South American talent at this summer's U20 World Championships in Canada.

Torrecilla has only just returned to Spain after securing a partnership agreement with the Gunners which will see more players follow the path of Mexican teenager Carlos Vela, who spent this season on-loan with the Segunda Liga outfit.

Torrecilla revealed: "We decided that we do not want just a loan of two non-European players. They want to enter the market and sign some players from the U20 World Cup in Canada. They're close to some South American players and within a month I will return to London for more talks."

Meanwhile, Arsenal are still to decide where Vela will be playing next season. He's likely to move to a Primera Liga club on-loan, with Celta Vigo favourites.
    Balls. I'd hoped Vela might surprise everyone and appear at Arsenal next season. Still, more talented young south americans coming via the backdoor is no bad thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Another typical Arsenal performance so far. Lots of posession but leaky defence and Jens Lehman is after 3 blunders so far.

Fabregas and Rosicky both score again.

Fabregas with a cracking goal from outside the box. A rarity with this team :(. But what a goal :).

2-1, Man City with a goal just disallowed. Nice finish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Phew, that was a close on deBeasley offside though.

What a cracker from Cesc. Lovely stuff.

Have to say although Baptista hasn't scored tonight, since he has come on he has put some amount of work in, so I am hopeful that he will improve over the last few games. Earlier Hleb nearly fcuked up again, afraid to shoot, they broke but Barton's shot was saved. What is wrong with the chap, and not shooting, because he doesn't have the worst of shots.

Baptista makes it 3-1.

Great run by Hleb. Baptista couldn't miss.

I bet you he could

JB9 scores right on cue.

• Advertisement

Heh, very true. But he came good this time :).

Good save by Jens Lehman against Samaras :eek:.

Our defence tonight has been an absolute joke, Lehmann, Gallas, Toure, Clichy and Eboue. I had hoped they would have learnt their lesson after the Liverpool match.

3-1 FT

Arsenal in 3rd. Liverpool could take it back tomorrow night when they play Boro.

You see there's been plenty of games like this this season. Except in the other games the midfielders wouldn't have scored and Baptista would have missed 3 open goals.

When the midfielders, and strikers other than Henry and Van Persie start scoring then Arsenal are fine.

• Advertisement

I'd love it if Wenger sent Baptista back to Madrid in the summer and offered to take Woodgate off their hands instead. Gallas and Toure don't look good as a pair... maybe Kolo just needs a bit of a rest.

Better performances from Rosicky and Hleb again tonight. We look alright with those two and Cesc playing.

Adebayor's touch was pretty awful. Shame as he did a lot of good work otherwise. Pity Diaby went off injured, I thought he was playing very well. Great tackle and pass to setup the first goal.

Jees lads this thread keeps slipping back, stop slacking!

A source from another forum who works at Arsenal says that the pre-season tournament at Ashburton Grove this summer will (not 100% confirmed yet) feature PSG, Hamburg and... Inter! Paddy returns to Arsenal, get ready to book your flights to London :)
    Arsenal defender William Gallas is on Real Madrid's hit-list of summer transfers. (Various)
    If they give us Woodgate and enough money for a keeper like Boruc then it's a deal. Give them Freddie to sell Real Madrid underwear while we're at it.

If they give us Woodgate and enough money for a keeper like Boruc then it's a deal. Give them Freddie to sell Real Madrid underwear while we're at it.

Yup agree with ya, give the 'beast' a one way ticket home. His relections on English football were quite telling - "here they value a corner kick more than a fancy flick"...... I wonder why...

On that note, how muck are Arsenal defending and attacking set plays? (I know they've scored a couple recently but over the course of a season...)

Arsenal apparently in for Yoan Gouffran: http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=463163&CPID=24&clid=3&lid=&title=Arsenal+eye+Gouffran

I know next to nothing about him, other than that he turns 21 in May, plays on the wing or as striker, seems to be quick, strong, good in the air and two footed.

He says he used to model his game on Thierry Henry but after his manager moved him to the wing he decided to model his game on Cristiano Ronaldo instead.

Clearly not the brightest lad :p

The Gouffran story has been repeated in today's Indo. Could be legit.

The Guardian has a full article on Gallas to Madrid. I first heard the story yesterday, so there's some repetition here too. Apparently he has fallen out with one of the young players (Cesc, probably) and Madrid are willing to pay £15m for him. Superb deal if that is the case.

Lehmann has agreed to sign a new 1 year deal, while Foxsports and the Times have reported that Wenger plans to bid for Craig Gordon in the summer too.

Yeah I'd definitely take £15m for Gallas. He doesn't look the solid player he was at Chelsea. Not saying he's rubbish, just not as good as he was. I seriously doubt the £15m figure is accurate though.

Arsenal 3 Fulham 1. some of the worst pedestrian $hite i've seen from them in a long while. I know its the end of the season and theres nothing to play for but the players just looked like they couldn't be bothered.

Lehmanns starting to suffer the onset of football alzheimers, he's been forgetting the ball a lot lately when he comes out for it. He has to be replaced in the summer, I want Artur Boruc now.

And may I be the first to help 'The Beast' with his packing. A suitcase and a one-way Ryanair ticket to alicante or somewhere. I'm not even gonna bother going throught the amount of times he fcuked up today.

The first half performance was excellent I thought, finishing aside yet again. Baptista really is sh*te. Adebayor was wasteful once or twice but he really does very well off the ball and when he's dribbling or making passes. Had a shocking miss at the beginning of the second half, but the finish for his goal was excellent. He did so well to make Baptista's goal too. If he could ever sort out his shooting then he'd be such an excellent player.

Second half - bollocks. Didn't bother playing until Fulham scored, but at least they did bother once it was 1-1.

Utter stupidity by Lehmann. He's been caught out off his line on numerous occasions throughout his Arsenal career but that may be the worst. At least in the other occasions he was trying to clear long balls over the top from oncoming attackers. This time he just came to punch the ball clear at the edge of his own box when Gallas and Toure were both there. Idiot. He hasn't been prone to making awful mistakes like that for a couple of years but his keeping overall is nowhere near where it was last year. Even though he's signed a new contract it would be wise to get a replacement for him this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Anybody got any ideas on this yet? Even a wish list to debate over would be nice.

The way I see it is....

The blue bloods at Arsenal are against the proposed Amercian takeover. That's all fine and good but Arsne liked the proposition of extra investment, he also liked Dein and more then anyone the board know that they must keep Arsne happy. He IS Arsenal. With Dein's departure and the huge investment going into Chelsea, Liverpool and ManU they will be extra eager to show to Wenger that he's at the right club. So the only way they can keep him happy and claim that Arsenal are moving forward in the best possible way is to give him a load of cash to spend.

So who's it gonna be?

Who would you go for? Who do Arsenal need?

I'd like to see an ultra-agressive central midfielder and a defender.

Also Eto and Robhino, thanks.

gosplan wrote:
    Anybody got any ideas on this yet? Even a wish list to debate over would be nice.

The way I see it is....

The blue bloods at Arsenal are against the proposed Amercian takeover. That's all fine and good but Arsne liked the proposition of extra investment, he also liked Dein and more then anyone the board know that they must keep Arsne happy. He IS Arsenal. With Dein's departure and the huge investment going into Chelsea, Liverpool and ManU they will be extra eager to show to Wenger that he's at the right club. So the only way they can keep him happy and claim that Arsenal are moving forward in the best possible way is to give him a load of cash to spend.

So who's it gonna be?

Who would you go for? Who do Arsenal need?

I'd like to see an ultra-agressive central midfielder and a defender.

Also Eto and Robhino, thanks.
    While we're playing fantasy football, I'd like us to resurrect Ferenc Puskas. Seriously, that isn't going to happen. Even if Wenger had loads of money, he wouldn't do that.

With regards to 'ultra-aggressive central midfielder' - who? Also, who would you sell, Diaby or Denilson? Relegating one of them to fifth choice would be a complete waste. It's immaterial anyway - there are 7 CMs of 19 years of age plus at the club already (Gilberto, Fabregas, Diaby, Denilson, Flamini, Song, Muamba) and he's not going to buy another. Do we not have enough possession in matches as it is? :)

At the moment all indications lead to the following first team squad changes happening in the summer:

OUT - Flamini, Muamba, Baptista, Aliadiere, Gilbert, Lupoli
    IN - Bendtner, Song

After that there are question marks over the futures of Reyes, Ljungberg, Almunia and Poom. There's also Carlos Vela who will be at Arsenal this summer or in January 2008, depending on when he can get a work permit/EU passport. By most accounts Wenger really wants to get him to North London this summer, as he is meant to be a bit like a cross between Messi and Ronaldo (Brazil).

Reyes obviously wants to stay in Spain but whether anyone will meet Wenger's asking price remains to be seen. Wenger most likely values him at £10m plus, and said yesterday that he'd be happy to have him back next season. With that in mind I think there's a good chance he'll be back.

Taking that into consideration, and the continued links to Ribery and other wingers, the future for Freddie at Arsenal looks bleak. His poor form surely hasn't escaped the boss, and I wouldn't be surprised if he is sold.

Lastly there's Almunia and Poom. Almunia would almost certainly move if another keeper is signed, which looks like a possibility. Poom's future seems to depend on whether Wenger wants to keep him.

What I want Wenger to do, and what I think he will do, is sign another goalkeeper, and either bring Reyes back or sign another winger (Ribery or similar). I think Wenger may also sign a young defender, such as Younes Kaboul or the young Portuguese chap mentioned a few weeks ago.

With that in mind I think the Arsenal squad will look like this next season:

GK: Lehmann, Gordon / A.N.Other, Poom
    CB: Touré, Gallas, Senderos, Djourou, Fernandez / A.N.Other
    FB: Clichy, Eboue, Hoyte, Traore
    CM: Fabregas, Gilberto, Diaby, Denilson, Song
    AM: Rosicky, Hleb, Reyes / Ribery, Walcott, Vela (Jan)
    ST: Henry, van Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner

• Advertisement

I'd love to see us go and buy some width this summer -Ribery might be expensive but he looks good. Also Quaresma, I would love it if we went in for him - looks the business plus he's young and is excellent going forward.

A goalkeeper should also be an objective - Gordon or Boruc would do it for me. I can see Reyes returning, not because Wenger wants him back badly, but because I can't see any team splashing out on him.

My thoughts.....

Freddie must go, he's been muck for a few years now. Franck Ribery would be an ideal replacement.

Jens Lehmann has served Arsenal well but has to be replaced to. Im sick of saying it but Boruc is the obvious choice for it. (Despite the fact I've heard Milan are in for him)

Im looking at the squad and its hard to see where to add to it, I would have said the strikers but with Van Persie and Bendtner back next year its hard to see.

I wouldn't like to see Muamba go, maybe back to Birmingham on loan for another season but I'd like Arsenal to hang on to him. Same with Kerrea Gilbert.

If Barca are interested in an Henry/Eto'o swap I'd be all ears for it too.

And lastly, Hleb....... either he learns to shoot and stop pricking around with it or he can fcuk off back to Belarus. Thats another thing, they need to learn or buy someone who sticks it in the net without a second thought.

Bring back le Bob. That'd sort the team out.

There were whispers of him coming back....

Wouldn't be for it though, he was going the way of freddie before he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I'd like to see Reyes back at Arsenal. If he learned to stop the whinging and the chucking of the toys out of the pram, I think he'd be a great player to challenge Ljungberg.

I'd like to see Reyes back at Arsenal. If he learned to stop the whinging and the chucking of the toys out of the pram, I think he'd be a great player to challenge Ljungberg.
    That's not saying much really, Freddie really offers the team SFA these days unfortunately.

I seem to recall hearing recently that Wenger wants at least £12m for Reyes, but I don't know where I heard that. I do know that last summer Atletico Madrid offered £8m for him which Wenger considered 'an insult'. If Wenger still values him that highly, which knowing him - he does, I can't see any club coming in for Reyes. So unless he decides to go on strike, he'll be here next season.

Maybe it's because I don't really pay attention to news stories about players talking to the media (so much bullsh1t gets printed out of context), or maybe it's because Reyes has the mental age of a 10 year old, but I can't bring myself to dislike him, and as such I wouldn't mind seeing him give it another go at Arsenal. He's probably too weak mentally to ever realise his potential, which is a shame because I've seen very few players with as much natural ability as him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Don't get me wrong I have full faith on the current squad to prosper but I think that additions would still be welcome.

I'm too drunk now so I'll post why later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Good point there pepe.

If he had a strong mental state he would be just as good a Ronaldo.

Very good natural ability but is not strong enough mentally.

My outs are Ljundberg, Helb, Ali, Baptista and Lehmann.
    In Ribery, Borurc, Bertender, Eto ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Wooot!! 3,000 posts!

• Advertisement

Been linked to Polish keeper Lukasz Fabianski. Poland's number 2, 22 years old, 190cm tall, plays for Boruc's old team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

His name is always mentioned on the Celtic forums as a replacement for Boruc if he leaves. Apparantly he's absolutely class. I wouldn't mind Celtic selling Boruc and signing him, making a big profit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEIdZORCJ9c

Heh, I'd never heard of him before today. According to arseblog, the Polish press reckon Arsenal are on the verge of signing him. I wouldn't be surprised, these sort of signings are the ones Wenger usually goes for.

A new keeper in the summer looks a dead cert anyway.

Seems more or less confirmed now that Baptista is going back to Real, and that Real don't want Reyes.

I'm relieved at the news about Baptista. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Reyes.

Several sources claim Fabianski is a done deal, subject to a medical. He'll probably cost 2-3 million. I don't know much about him but I trust Wenger and it puts off the goalkeeper issue for at least another season. I think it's critical that any transfers are done EARLY this summer so the squad can get settled and have a proper pre-season, as that was badly missed last year.

Wenger is also off to Spain to sort out the Reyes situation.

So what do we all think of the Reyes situation?

Bit of a disaster really. Signed as the club's record signing. He played ok without ever really being outstanding, decided he hated England and the club thought they'd found the perfect sollution by swapping him for the player they were chasing the previous season.

Baptista turns out to be **** and is being sent back where he came from, wouldn't be so bad if Real actually wanted Reyes. So Arsenal are now stuck with a player who desperately doesn't want to play for Arsenal. Looks like they're set to lose a good bit of money on him. He doesn't strike me as the type of player who'd take being told he had return to London particularly well.

What's the best outcome here, how much do you think the club will get for him? None of the big clubs will be interested, maybe Sevilla will buy him back. €10-12 million I'd say woudn't be all that bad.

• Advertisement

Not ideal is it?

The only consolation we can take is that I don't think Arsenal spent anything more than the original £10.5m paid for him, so there won't be much a loss when selling him.

I don't think Wenger will go any lower than £8m. I'm not even sure he'll take that, considering Atletico offered that last summer and he considered it 'an insult'.

Wait and see I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Swap him for Puerta?

I don't think Wenger will go any lower than £8m. I'm not even sure he'll take that, considering Atletico offered that last summer and he considered it 'an insult'.

He may have considered it an insult last summer but his hands are tied this time round. I'm sure if £8m is offered it will be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Since you mention Atletico, what about a swap for torres, plus we'll say maybe 5 mill? Or do the Gunners have any interest in signing Torres? I think yee are one of the few teams he'd fit in well at.

Doubt Sevilla would go for that considering they could take the £30 million or so Chelsea or Man Utd or Celtic :D would pay up front for him and then go and buy Reyes for £10 million.

Aside from that, Arsenal is kinda chock full of strikers next season, Henry, Van Persie, Adebayor, Bendtner, Walcott, Vela, Aliadiere.......

I think Pepe mentioned it that the team is lacking width (esp with the 4 centre mids on sunday! wtf!), maybe grooming Vela as a winger or buying Ribery would add some, or else put blinkers on Hleb so he stops cutting inside all the fcuking time.

Any word on Denilsons injury? That bollocks Ferreria didn't even get booked for that two footed tackle.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement