Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eirebear wrote:
    Anyone know anything about an 18 yr old cypriot player, george Effram who's supposedly signed for Rangers this week?
    Cheers
    Never really saw much of him to be honest. He's a small, creative player who generally plays on the right of midfield. He didn't play very much. Some people say he never impressed despite being one of the oldest players in the reserves / U18 teams and simply wasn't up to it, while another person said that he was quite good but fell out with Neil Banfield (Arsenal Reserve team boss) and he was frozen out. Wait and see I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

On that note Marca have come up with an amusing story today saying that Barca are offering £17m AND Samuel Eto'o for Thierry this summer.

Where do we sign?! Where Do we sign?! Barca's forearm just above the elbow should be bitten off if they offer us that.

Actually if Henry left, who would you give the captaincy to? I'd give it to Toure myself, I thought about Fabregas....but his time will come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Never really saw much of him to be honest. He's a small, creative player who generally plays on the right of midfield. He didn't play very much. Some people say he never impressed despite being one of the oldest players in the reserves / U18 teams and simply wasn't up to it, while another person said that he was quite good but fell out with Neil Banfield (Arsenal Reserve team boss) and he was frozen out. Wait and see I suppose!

Cheers, s'pose your never really sure what your getting with youth players, still arsenal have a cracking record with youngsters in recent years so im hopefull.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

for a man henry's age that seems sheer stupidity by barca despite his definate quality so its prob not true if it is.... DO THE DEAL NOW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If that is true then it would be madness to turn it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Sigthorsson sounds good. A striker who scores goals you say?

edit: I do feel very envious looking on as Man United splash the cash on three quality players. Heck we could barely have afforded one of them. :(

The papers are (predictably) saying that A.C. Milan are entering the fray for Henry.
    Since I havent heard anything about the Eto'o + cash swap I'm guessing it aint gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Here's what looks like the confirmed new away kit.

Meh, could be worse. Those socks are spiffing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Apparently Franck Ribery to Bayern Munich is close to completion. Disappointing news for Gooners.

Auxerre right-back Bakari Sagna is a name that's being touted by many. I've only ever seen him play once, I don't think he'll do anything that Eboue can't do . . .

• Advertisement

New away shirt looks nice, although I hate looped socks. Although they are meant to be useful for players to spot teammates more easily

From arseblog:
    Now, last night I got a piece of transfer news which I saw late last night on ANR (who really need to do something about their hosting as the site is down again. Perhaps moving off a solid fuel platform might help, lads) The player linked is Florent Malouda and although he’s been touted as a Liverpool signing it appears we’re the club that’s in for him. All I can say is the news came to me from somebody in a good position to know these kind of things but as we all know there’s margin for error in terms of transfer rumours. I’m not sure Malouda would have been high on my shopping list but let’s just wait and see what happens. Didier Drogba wouldn’t mind if he joined Chelsea.
    This is one I'd be quite pleased about, if the price was right.

Only just noticed that Gael Clichy was voted fourth for Arsenal player of the year. I thought he did very well; took Cole's place fairly seemlessly. Needs to work on his crossing and has a few defensive niggles to sort out but otherwise he's top drawer. No worries about seeing him in the side.

I'd have voted 1) Gilberto 2) Fabregas 3) van Persie and 4) Clichy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Here's what looks like the confirmed new away kit.

Meh, could be worse. Those socks are spiffing.

Yep its been confirmed now, and check this hilarious picture out

Toure voted # 3.

Very quiet on the transfer front, bar a few youngsters. The Malouda one is looking unlikely now.

France Football are reporting that Barcelona are finalising a €25m deal with Arsenal for Thierry, with Thierry agreeing to a 3 year contract. I've generally ignored all the Henry speculation as it is generally Marca driven bullsh1t but FF is supposed to be a pretty reliable source and it too usually ignores all the Spanish media BS. They seem to have their own sources.

If true I'll be very pissed off. I'm not completely against the idea of Henry leaving but €25m is taking the piss. You'd think after flogging Vieira for a fairly pathetic £13.7m that the club would have learnt its lesson.

• Advertisement

€25m for Henry? That's pathetic. If he is to leave would a straight swap for Eto'o not be doable?

Then again...

Henry's comments suggest he is considering leaving. It's getting very tiresome to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was watching Sonny Anderson's match yesterday and Henry was interviewed. When asked about a move to Barca and his future at Arsenal he just said "we will see".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

we will see

This **** pisses me off, either stay or leave already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't know, if you think about it, think how many good players Wenger could get for 25 million. That's easily for Wenger 4 more players who are already established and could make a difference next year. Personally, I think Eto would make Arsenal better than Henry is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's no guarantee AW would reinvest the money though. Personally I'd be wary of selling him for that reason. Tend to agree with Gallas though, if his heart isn't in it he should be sold. Dont think we'll be in the market for Torres either incidentally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

We should be used to it after years and years of this with Vieira. Look would you blame the guy for giving short answers, it was bad 2 years ago, but it went 10 fold once vieira left. Almost every interview he's been asking are you leaving, last year a barca fan threw a barca shirt with his name on it at him. Eventually he's going to give up answering it. If he does leave it will be a terrible terrible blow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Direct swop, Henry for Eto'o would be a great deal for Arsenal I feel. 25m would be a kick in the face to Arsenal fans considering what they were probably being offered last year...

Direct swop, Henry for Eto'o would be a great deal for Arsenal I feel. 25m would be a kick in the face to Arsenal fans considering what they were probably being offered last year...

With just 1 year left on his contract last year I seriously doubt Arsenal would have got more than €25m for Henry last summer.

The young Norwegian centre-back has been signed for £500k potentially rising to £2m dependant on appearances.

Dum de dum...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

The young Norwegian centre-back has been signed for £500k potentially rising to £2m dependant on appearances.

Dum de dum...

great, another kid, just what we need..sigh

Does he have a name?

So that gives us:
    a young Polish goalkeeper
    a young Icelandic striker (or is that a done deal yet?)
    a young Norwegian defender.

Spent roughly 3 million in total... I wish we had real money to spend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

PHB wrote:
    I don't know, if you think about it, think how many good players Wenger could get for 25 million. That's easily for Wenger 4 more players who are already established and could make a difference next year. Personally, I think Eto would make Arsenal better than Henry is.

I wouldnt agree with that tbh. I can see where youre coming from - it SHOULD be able to get him 4 quality players, but when you look at the transfer market today - 17 million for Darren Bent? How many quality players would you be able to get for 6.25 million each?

You also have to consider that yes, Arsenal are a great team and there would be many players honoured to join them. But, with the future looking very uncertain as regards to Henry, Wenger and even Fabregas - would they still want to join Arsenal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Maybe PHB was referring to how many quality players Wenger, specifically could get. He probably has the best eye in modern football for unearthing excellent players from relative obscurity.

psi wrote:
    Maybe PHB was referring to how many quality players Wenger, specifically could get. He probably has the best eye in modern football for unearthing excellent players from relative obscurity.

Well, if they come from 'relative obscurity', then they are hardly the 'well established' players that PHB was referring to who could make an immediate difference... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Archimedes wrote:
    Well, if they come from 'relative obscurity', then they are hardly the 'well established' players that PHB was referring to who could make an immediate difference... :rolleyes:

It depends on what your obscurity is relative to.

Most punters don't know much of what goes on outside the Spanish, English and Italian leagues.

There are plenty of very good players in the Dutch, French, Portuguese and German leagues, who are well established.

One could argue that Hleb and (barring one excellent WC performance) Rosicky weren't household names before the move to Arsenal.

Reyes' 2 goals tonight might see a million or two added onto any potential transfer fee. Still don't see him staying with Real but Atletico are supposedly very interested.

it looks like they are going to try push through with the sagna deal.. i must say, i was hoping that the rumours about gamst pedersen would amount to something but that now looks unlikely. i have no idea what his transfer policy will be this summer. realistically, i would like to see players matt taylor, darren bent, curtis davies or micah richards join but none of these will join. its blatantly obvious arsenal need to strengthen, and with thierry looking like he's on his way this has become even more apparant.. i hope arsene gets it right.. we could be at the start of a dark period for the club.

Well, if they come from 'relative obscurity', then they are hardly the 'well established' players that PHB was referring to who could make an immediate difference...

Well imo, Wenger and Fergie are incredible at picking out talents. Wenger has had no money to spend, but when he has had some cash, he has normally spent it well. Players like Vidic for example I didn't know about, nor did most people, until he signed. He cost about 6-7 million. Those types of players can go straight into a squad and improve it.

Personally, even if Henry leaves, I still consider Arsenal possible title contenders, because once they get going, they can be impossible to stop. With 4 new players instead of Henry, I think Wenger can put them within a shooting distance of the title.

Galvasean wrote:
    Does he have a name?

So that gives us:
    a young Polish goalkeeper
    a young Icelandic striker (or is that a done deal yet?)
    a young Norwegian defender.

Spent roughly 3 million in total... I wish we had real money to spend.
    Havard Norveidt. 16 year old French striker Gilles Sunu has also been signed.

The Icelandic boy Kolbeinn Sigthorsson may not be signed yet. There have been claims that he has turned us down, while other sources say he's coming. Ditto goes for Angel DiMaria, Pedro, Yago Fernandez and Renato Augusto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Is Wenger finished with his holiday yet?

I'm assuming activity will hot up then.

To be honest, I don't think Arsenal really need anyone that is available right now. Perhaps someone to replace Ljundberg (unless either Hleb or Walcott is capable of putting in a great season, or Reyes comes back). And, if Henry goes I'd like another striker.

I agree that the squad is weaker the the likes of Chelsea but who isn't. I just think that forcing the issue would be a mistake. if a great player becomes available and wants to join, then great, but there's no reason to buy overhyped players at inflated prices just because last years results need to be improved upon.

If you look at the outfield team of Gallas, Toure, Eboue, Clichy, Gilberto, Cesc, Rosicky, Hleb, Van Persie, Henry.

Now in truth the only player that I'd like to see replaced with someone better is Hleb, unless Wenger feels that he'll have a good season. I did feel that Arsenal need some big players and they do if they want to challenge but there's just no-pone decent available this year.

Oh, wouldn't mind Ryan Babel though, looks good.

Meanwhile, ANR reader Martin writes from Norway of the Havard Nordtveit transfer for £2m: the 16 year old comes from Haugesund in Norway's west coast. He has played regulary for Haugesund in Norway's first division this year impressing a lot.

The Norwegian first division is far more physical than our Premier League so its not usual for 16 year olds to play regulary. Our national team trainer, Åge Hareide, has just called him our biggest talent ever so I believe this could be a real bargain.
    Aftenposten reported: The young talent, 17, had also been sought by Manchester United, Tottenham and Real Madrid, according to the newspaper.
    Also ANR has reported that football agent Barry Silkman said on newsnight that Arsenal are going to do a big deal on Tuesday. I wouldn't mention it (as it's ANR) but for it actually coming from a different source.

Rumours suggest that the imminent signing could be none other than... Nicolas Anelka. I nearly choked on my food when I first read that.

I think the one area that Arsenal are really quite weak is in the full backs, as they just aren't good enough defensively. Great footballers, but average defenders.

Ok, I know Wenger has a great eye for talent, but why is he still buying these youngsters? I know he's preparing for the future, but when the present isnt exactly prospering surely he should go after a big name or two...

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote:
    Ok, I know Wenger has a great eye for talent, but why is he still buying these youngsters? I know he's preparing for the future, but when the present isnt exactly prospering surely he should go after a big name or two...

Doesn't seem to be many big names on the market at the minute though, and when there is you really aren't getting value for money. Can't blame Wenger for not going after players like Ribery with the stupid money involved.

Wenger's never been about big names anyway, big names who've played for Arsenal have generally attained their big name status by playing for Arsenal. Experience is what's needed, a couple of singings like Pires would be fantastic. Not likely to find too many players of that quality and price knocking around, but just some players in their late 20's would be nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

After losing David Suazo to rivals Milan, Inter are now keen on signing Arsenal striker Thierry Henry. According to Sky television, Inter sporting director Marco Branca spent two days in London during which he spoke to Arsenal, and even now negotiations are still ongoing. The Gunners have asked for 20 million euros for the striker, but Inter are trying to include Adriano and possibly another player in the deal. The nerazzurri seem to want to hurry things in an attempt to beat competition from Barcelona, who have been after the player for a long time. Meanwhile, rumours from Spain suggest Henry might be negotiating his transfer to Barcelona in person. One thing seems sure at the moment: Henry will leave Arsenal this summer. The club itself has allegedly said to not print any new shirts with the player’s name on them, which seems to leave little doubt over the player’s future.
    http://www.calciomercato.com/index.php?c=46&a=46537

€20 million for Henry is abysmal. It's not like there's a lack of interest in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Inter would have a ridiculous forward if they get him. I reckon milan if anywhere, but i'm still pretty certain he'll stay, remember everyone was convinced Vieira was gone, and it was until the season start we found his faith and there was the same stories of the Arsenal shop not printing Vieira on shirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Sky reporting Henry signs for Barca

who will they get to replace the great one?

anelka? torres? bent? mccarthy? bring back chris wreh? what will wenger do?

• Advertisement

Nah, he'll 'accelerate' the development of Theo! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Just interested in know if Arsenal Fans are now worried for the future? I have a soft spot for arsenal, because they play fantastic football, but also Wenger, a master at spoting young talent, even if they do poach and pay some big money from them. I always knew Henry would leave, he was always stressing how it was important to attract BIG name players and not just buy for the future. Thierry Henry wanted to win the league again with Arsenal and the Champions league, but probably last season confirmed that maybe it was time to leave. Manu, Chelsea, Liverpool and maybe Spurs will probably finish ahead of Arsenal next season.

I think Gallas, Fabregas will be next to follow, maybe not this season, but it will happen next season. I could Fabregas going to Barca next season to relplace Deco.

I also think Wenger will leave Arsenal next season and take a international job. I dont he could what he did at arsenal again with another club.

These are tricky times for Arsenal fans indeed. if Wenger can invest the money from the Henry transfer on a couple of key players, taking into account the probable improvement of certain young players, next year could be a very good season for Arsenal.
    On the other hand if Fabregas leaves we are in big trouble.

I don't think Barca will be interested in paying the required fee to land Cesc considering they've got Xavi, Iniesta and are apparently signing Yaya Toure. He's also got 7 years left on his contract to run, so that puts Arsenal in a strong position.

Interesting story running that Wenger agreed with Barca for them to keep the news quiet until next season to allow him to sign Henry's replacement, but that went out the window when some **** leaked the news to the press.

It better not be Babel.
    Arsene Wenger will attempt to recruit Carlos Tevez from West Ham or bring back Nicolas Anelka in the wake of striker Thierry Henry's expected departure from the Emirates Stadium to Barcelona. (Various)
    Anelka, meh, would be ok. Tevez is the wrong type of striker, though he might work well with Adebayor or Bendtner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Now that I've slept on the news of Henry's departure I find it's not as disagreeable as last night.

Yes, Arsenal are losing a great(perhaps their best ever) player.

But perhaps Henry's best years at Arsenal are past and cannot be repeated?

Henry was undoubtedly at his best with Pires beside him. Ask any premiership defender from those years what they biggest fear was and they'll tell you it was those two running at you down the left hand side. Nowadays they'll tell you it's Ronaldo running at you or Drogba in the air. Could Henry overtake them again? I'm not so sure.

I remember long before I had heard of Henry wondering how we could ever do as well as Ian Wright again. Players come and go, even the great ones, and they are all eventually replaced.

The key to replacing Henry is time, not money. There are no good options out there at the moment. I feel Anelka would be a step back and to be honest given the potential shown by last years team(without Henry), if they develop well in the off-season, ANYONE coming in might not get a game.

Basically I don't feel the squad needs restrengthing given the current options out there. Yes, we could get screwed over by injuries but that can happen regardless of how many players you have. Arsenal have a team who are just getting used to the new stadium, and for many of them a new league. The last thing we need to do is bring in a load of new faces and instigate another 'transition year'.

For me we have a first team squad with the potential to be as good as anything in the premiership.

People worry about Man U strengthening by spending 34million adding Nani and Anderson. I've seen Nani a few times including in the recent under 21's Euros, and he doesn't seem up to much.

In Arsenal's corner I give you out super young first team and Denilson, Bentender, Vela, Diaby, Walcott and on and on.

Man U need some young players because in reality, they have nothing coming through their ranks. Rossi, for example is described by Fergie as 'the best finisher I has ever seen' but will never get a game when it counts. They have youth as regards Rooney and Ronaldo but they're automatic first team choices already with little back up. If you took the aging Scholes and Giggs from the team, they'd have difficulty filling the bench effectively.

Arsenal, given their current set up, have a team for the next 5-6 years. Man U don't so they added some young(slightly overpriced) players.

For me the worrying this is the Dein/Henry/Wenger relationship and the fact that two have now left. Henry has said some stuff about this being a source of distress but in truth it's easier to say that then: 'I want to go to Barca and be part of the best attacking line up club football has ever seen'.

I feel Wenger wouldn't have been extending his contract at this point regardless of the Dein exit. There's no way he'll go to Madrid at the moment, that's simply the Madrid press machine doing it's thing.
    For me there's no chance Wenger would leave halfway through rebuilding with a year left on his contract for a Madrid job that comes up every 3 months.

The worrying thing is that it's definitely more possible that he'd leave now then it was at this point last year. Part of this is the disapproval of change by Hill Wood and the other upper class dinosaurs that ultimately control Arsenal.
    I realise that they don't want to lose the club but I think they realise that if their lack of ambition causes them to lose Wenger, the backlash and inevitable fan revolt will eventually see them ousted.

Hill-Wood has already gone from 'we don't want his money or his sort at Arsenal' (which was basically oldschool racism) to agreeing on an increased profile and level of involvement for Kronke. In short the board are not stupid and know that Wenger is more the heartbeat of Arsenal then they are. If keeping Wenger happy means American investment then expect them to bow to it.

That said, I don't think Wenger wants a lot of money to spend this year. I rather think that he wants a guarantee that, in future, if a player like say Essien comes along, i.e. very expensive but guaranteed to produce at top level for many years, at a cost 25 or 30 million then he will be allocated the funds necessary.

In short don't worry about it Arsenal fans. It's a sad day because we're losing the great Thierry but not because of the future of Arsenal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement