Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

no matter who they sign to replace henry i think we are going to be underwhelmed.. its a daunting prospect to have to fill henry's boots.. i think it will be one from martins, anelka or maybe even owen.. none fill me with huge amounts of joy but we need someone now! lets get it moving arsene, 4 players in, one or two out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think the Owen thing is a load of rubbish. He's not Arsenals style, is a huge injury risk and hasn't played really well for a few years at this stage.

The English media love him, cause he's English, and tout him around everywhere. I mean, who is going to pay 10 mill for a striker who's spent half the last three years injured?

He was great when he was younger at Liverpool but a lot of that was connected to his pace. He's put on a load of bulk and has had loads of injuries since then.

Total rubbish, the media mention his name, get an old Arsenal player to talk about him and then the speculation begins.

No way on earth will Wenger sign him. Non technical, permanently injured, overrated and heading towards 30.

Not sure if there's any truth in it but Sunday papers today saying that Utd. and Arsenal are vying for Tevez.

Reports say that United are preparing a cash bid while Arsenal can only afford a 9m loan package for the year.

Would be very disappointed if this were the case given that Henry + Reyes + Ali would equal 30 million or so to spend, in addition to whatever the budget was anyway.

IMO United can't justify spending that much on another striker right now given their outlay this summer. Liverpool, once they have Torres don't need another striker, and still have their wide midfielder problem to solve.

He's a great player and I'd be disappointed if money was all that kept him from going to Arsenal. All this given that the Highbury development will probably leave us as good a financial position as any premiership club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

From what I hear Ferguson can't bid on Tevez until he sells a couple of players first for finance.
    Besides 9million for a one year loan is ridiculous money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It's not 9 million I think, it's like 5 million for wages, and a 4 million loan fee or something.

United seem to be raising cash for the purchase of some striker, and since they have until the end of the Copa America, they can do it in time.

• Advertisement

can Utd really afford it though?

I mean with no-one leaving as of yet they've spent big on Hargreaves, Nani and Anderson.

I know they're the worlds richest club but spending of that sort, with a massive debt to service, seems to be a bit reckless.

They are supposed to be selling Richardson, Smith and Heinze...

Oh yes back to the beloved Arsenal. Good old Sunday papers. So apparently Arsenal are signing Eto'o for £20million, Curtis Davies for £8million and are "Manchester United's only real competitors" in the race to sign Tevez.
    What Arsenal football club are these guys looking at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Arsenal sign Croatian international striker Eduardo Da Silva from Dinamo Zagreb. 4 year deal, undisclosed fee. Subject to a medical.

Yeah, seems to be a fox in the box finisher type from his goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfXGOGzEAwk

also seems to have a good shot but obviously they're only showing the ones that went in.

Guess this puts an end to Tevez speculation. Can't really see Wenger signing a guy who scored 34 last year to be fourth choice with Bendtner fifth.

Looking more and more likely that there's not going to be a really big name come in this year. That's ok though, still a very good team who are set to improve dramatically.

Would really love some cover for the RMF position though, in case Hleb doesn't come good this year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

As usual Wenger completely dumbfounds everyone!

As I recall when we played Zagreb at the beginning of the season he was a very quick, tricky striker. Ran Kolo and Djourou fairly ragged at times. Terrific strike rate. Let's see how he does.

• Advertisement

Terrific strike rate. Let's see how he does.

Yeah, seems that he got 30+ last two seasons.

Nice finishing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFfiveIGpk
    As usual Wenger completely dumbfounds everyone!

One of the things I love about him. Every year I get sucked into the gossip and eventually remember that if a player is being linked heavily to Arsenal then there's usually little truth in it. I particularly remember the Reyes move coming out of nowhere.

Anyway, with the forward line sorted, I can't really think of anyone who's available and who'd also be a good addition.

Robhino maybe? But Madrid will probably keep him if he's keeps banging in hat tricks in the Copa.

I have heard very little about him to Arsenal though so it seems likely:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

He scored a hattrick in Israel a few months ago.

I'm hearing he has cost £16m. At least, that's what UEFA.com says, Sporting Life says £6m.

Scored 34 goals in 32 appearances last season, 73 in 104 for Zagreb altogether according to wikipedia.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/06/04/croatias_biggame_poacher_strik.html
    Slaven Bilic: "There is a boy," he said, "who is very special. He came from Rio when he was 15, and you could put him now in the team at Manchester United and you wouldn't know he wasn't from there. Believe me, he will do things."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

It seems like an awful lot to pay for an unproven kid who's practically been unheard of . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

16m is insane tho. Its the president who's saying it, so i'd say he's trying to appease the fans. typical Wenger signing, Bam!!! out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Wenger makes a signing completely off the media radar yet again. Haven't seen much of da Silva but the press looks promising.

Also, Cesc's agent has made it clear that he's not interested in Barca or Real and is excited about being a key man in the Arsenal team next season.

I'd expected Wenger to sign a new contract any day know too.

As an Arsenal fan I'm finally breathing a sigh of relief...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

It seems like an awful lot to pay for an unproven kid who's practically been unheard of . . .
    maybe but united pay double that for arugably 2 un proven kids as well a few weeks ago. He looks a decent player, and considering what Spurs payed for over rated Darren Bent, not a bad deal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Apparently Arsenal are claiming it was £8m, I'm sure that means £8m up front + whatever. Let's say it's about £12m, figure in the middle of what both parties are claiming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

tred wrote:
    considering what Spurs payed for over rated Darren Bent, not a bad deal either.

regardless of what you think of bent, spurs have payed £16 million for a player who has proved he can score in teh PL. If reports are to be believed, wenger has spent the same on an unproven quantity.

have you seen this chap play?

• Advertisement

event wrote:

Played against us in the CL and scored. Gave the CB's a hard time. Youtube him.

Agree that Bent is quality and a proven goalscorer, he's quite young too which will result in a good resale value should they sell him down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

event wrote:
    regardless of what you think of bent, spurs have payed £16 million for a player who has proved he can score in teh PL. If reports are to be believed, wenger has spent the same on an unproven quantity.

Yes I actually have, and hes got a sweat left foot. I am happy enough with this purchase, but remember Arsenal have Bendtner coming through as well, and fit van persie. Were well covered up front for Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I've seen da Silva a few times and I've always liked th elook of him, very intelligent player and ruthless in front of goal at any level. He may not like the physicality of the PL though, but it's a very interesting signing.

Arsenal have been lacking an out and out finisher since Wright left. Henry and Van Persie are both fantastic goal scorers, but they're work is mostly outside the box, if you look at Arsenal's play, more often than not, there is noone on the end of balls into the box from the wing, or noone in good position.

I wonder will this mean a change in style of play for them?

There are a lot of suggestions being made that the €24m being mentioned is the transfer fee PLUS the boy's wages.

It remains to be seen how this will work out but I'm glad he's been signed early. I don't want any transfers left until the last minute this time.

// EDIT - seems Arsenal have told Skysports £8m. Sounds about right.

The signing of Da Silva is good news*. Fabregas not wanting to leave is brilliant news!

He scored against england recently. He reminds me of Berbatov a bit. Hardly anyone knew about him this time last year and now he is one of the Premiership's top stars.

Galvasean wrote:
    Fabregas not wanting to leave is brilliant news!

I can see fabs being captain next year, as much as i hate to say it, i think henry held him and a few others back, definately reyes. I think we'll see a new Fabs without titi.

ive heard of da silva but would be lying if i said i knew much about him.. good to see new faces arriving though.. quite a burden on the lad having to be "henry's replacement", im sure he will do well though, wenger doesnt been spend the money being mentioned on just anyone (usually!)

wenger doesnt been spend the money being mentioned on just anyone (usually!)

They showed Arsenal's most expensive signings on skysports news and it was a bit of an embarrassing list. With players like Bergkamp, Pires and Fabregas having played for the club... the top signings are:

Reyes
    Wiltord
    Henry
    Van Bronkhorst
    FRANCIS JEFFERS!!!

Throw Da Silva in there too. Ok Henry was a stroke of genius but Reyes and Wiltord weren't worth their fees and Van Bronkhorst was poor. Francis Jeffers? My god, let's pretend he never played for Arsenal. So when Wenger spends big, he generally doesn't get it all that right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

16m for this lad :eek: Hardly a bargain considering Henry was sold for the same...

• Advertisement

Sizzler wrote:
    16m for this lad :eek: Hardly a bargain considering Henry was sold for the same...

BBC are now reporting it's £7.5m, I think Sky are saying something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

BBC are now reporting it's £7.5m, I think Sky are saying something similar.

Sorry if thats the case :o

I just saw this before I posted...

Quote directly from the selling club so seemed genuine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Throw Da Silva in there too. Ok Henry was a stroke of genius but Reyes and Wiltord weren't worth their fees and Van Bronkhorst was poor. Francis Jeffers? My god, let's pretend he never played for Arsenal. So when Wenger spends big, he generally doesn't get it all that right.
    While he wasn't an amazing player - do you not think Wiltord was a valuable asset during his time at Arsenal. They won 2 leagues / 2 Cups during his time there and while of course this wasn't down soley to him, his 50 or so goals must've contributed to that a little.

SofaKing wrote:
    While he wasn't an amazing player - do you not think Wiltord was a valuable asset during his time at Arsenal. They won 2 leagues / 2 Cups during his time there and while of course this wasn't down soley to him, his 50 or so goals must've contributed to that a little.

He was very hit and miss, and he did cost a sizable chunk of cash. Yeah he was an asset but I'm sure they could have got other strikers as useful as he was for less.

Plus he only played for the club for 4 years and then left on a free.

Willy did quiet well for us(not 13m well), that OT goal was almost worth the 13m alone. Could never understand how we let him go on a free., at least get some cash, he did well for lyon.

Reyes i'll never undertand. For 3 months, he was one of the best players in the premiership then the nevilles and scholes kicked chunks out him of at OT and he was never the same. Certainly better than Bleh. He could've been so much more.

I can see fabs being captain next year, as much as i hate to say it, i think henry held him and a few others back

Agree however I'd like to see Kolo get the captaincy. He's a great man for lifting the team when their not producing the goods.

• Advertisement

Wiltord was second fiddle to the prolific Henry/Bergkamp combination so he was never going to be anything more than a squad player. For that, he did well enough, 50 goals as a bit part/cup player. He did score in nearly every round of the cup too. That said, if you replace Henry with any player, he's going to seem poor by comparison.

Van Bronkhurt was unlucky by both injury and the emergence of better players on the left. Silvinho (edited after mistake) did better in his position, and the two didn't suit each other when played together. V B did quite well post Arsenal, I think he was just unlucky.

In much the same way, Da Silvinho wasn't a bad player, some of his runs forward were breathtaking, he was just overtaken by the prospect of Cole and it was good business to go with the Youth player.

Reyes is a fine, fine player. However, his temprement was/is severely suspect and I don't quite put that down to Wenger poor judgement. It is hard to predict how a young player from a relatively sheltered background will react to an entirely new culture.

All in all, the only poor signing that I would put down to Wenger's mistake would be Jeffers.

That said, with the likes of Anelka, Toure, Fabregas, Clichy, Viera, Petit and Lundberg coming in for relative low fee's I think all in all, Wenger is by far the shrewdest manager in the transfer market of this generation.

I think you mean Silvinho instead of Da Silva, and from what I've heard he was moved on quickly after serious questions about his passport were asked.

They showed Arsenal's most expensive signings on skysports news and it was a bit of an embarrassing list. With players like Bergkamp, Pires and Fabregas having played for the club... the top signings are:

Reyes
    Wiltord
    Henry
    Van Bronkhorst
    FRANCIS JEFFERS!!!

This is a bit of rubbish to be honest, not your post by the way.

It's more the idea of listing these players. Typical Sky bull**it.

Firstly the list. Reyes and Van Bron are class players, they just didn't like England.

Wiltord was worth it, Henry doesn't need going into.

Jeffers was a failure.

My problem with listing these players is that the prices are close to most of Arsenals signings. Most of them weren't very expensive players.

Jeffers cost 10 million, that's a mistake, no doubt. But Kleberson cost about 6 or 7 for Man U. You just don't hear about it as their top five signings are Rooney, VEron, Ferdinand etc. I mean Man U and Chelsea who collectively spent about 5,793 million on Veron.

What I'm saying is that when you take Reyes out, the other players aren't very expensive, and therefore can't be very expensive mistakes.

Taking Man U as an example, their top 5 would be around 30 million each. I've no problem with that, but when you're buying players for 30 million, it's a lot more likely that they'll succeed.

They're Arsenal's 5 most expensive signings and they cost as much as Veron and Rooney together, figure it out.

Mistakes are made int he transfer market but Wenger doesn't make expensive ones.

gosplan wrote:
    This is a bit of rubbish to be honest, not your post by the way.

It's more the idea of listing these players. Typical Sky bull**it.

Firstly the list. Reyes and Van Bron are class players, they just didn't like England.

Wiltord was worth it, Henry doesn't need going into.

Jeffers was a failure.

My problem with listing these players is that the prices are close to most of Arsenals signings. Most of them weren't very expensive players.

Jeffers cost 10 million, that's a mistake, no doubt. But Kleberson cost about 6 or 7 for Man U. You just don't hear about it as their top five signings are Rooney, VEron, Ferdinand etc. I mean Man U and Chelsea who collectively spent about 5,793 million on Veron.

What I'm saying is that when you take Reyes out, the other players aren't very expensive, and therefore can't be very expensive mistakes.

Taking Man U as an example, their top 5 would be around 30 million each. I've no problem with that, but when you're buying players for 30 million, it's a lot more likely that they'll succeed.

They're Arsenal's 5 most expensive signings and they cost as much as Veron and Rooney together, figure it out.

Mistakes are made int he transfer market but Wenger doesn't make expensive ones.

All true. Just when you think of the club's best players over the last decade (Bergkamp, Henry, Vieira, Pires, Overmars, Petit, Fabregas, Anelka) none of them feature in the list. Just somebody said Wenger never really gets it wrong when he spends big, and actually most of Arsenal's best players signed for a relatively low fee.

Also the fees involved may not be 30 million like Veron & co, but fees like £13m for Wiltord is still alot of money for Arsenal. There's less margain for error for Wenger, he can't afford to get it wrong in the transfer market. Thankfully he hasn't really bought too many turkey's, and has signed a huge list of great players on the cheap. Only reason Arsenal have had any success over the past decade really. Go Wenger.

I think you mean Silvinho instead of Da Silva, and from what I've heard he was moved on quickly after serious questions about his passport were asked.
    you're right of course, my bad.

I don't know about the passport, I doubt that would have been the end of it, had there been a passport problem. The fact remains, that at the time, Arsenal had too many good young left backs, Silvinho was the one that made sense to let go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Interesting signing. Yet again this came out of nowhere. His record is impressive to say the least but the league isnt the strongest. However the blessing here is that he has already come up against a bunch of tough no nonesens defenders and its frezzing in winter in croatia so no more of the "I hate the weather ****e" we got from Baptista and Reyes.

Will take time to settle but looks to be a similar player to berbatov and a player who knows where the net is.

Now for Tevez and a winger with pace!

Do you think that Wenger will sign another forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Theres always a worry about a player from a lesser league coming in, even with a great record, but i think Wenger has done it again, unearthing a gem. I mean, the only worry is if he can score against defences in england, but he's already played 2 games against english defences (Arsenal and the England national team) and scored in each game so its looking good, lucky feckers ;)

let's hope he does the business... i just have a few questions for gooners

1. do you think walcott can/will step up this season?

2. do you believe adebayor and/or van persie get 20 odd goals?

3. is the defence strong enough? who would you bring in?

4. will hleb/rosicky chip in more goals?

5. can freddie reproduce his form of old?

6. finally, what one player (realistically) would you like to see brought in?

ill post my thoughts later

I'd like to say yes but I don't believe so.

If Van Persie stays fit, he will. He's one of those players that's susceptible to injury though. Ade to get about 15(depending on how often he plays now that Da Silva is here).

First string is fine, need some competition/cover though. Unsure who. Some relatively unknown young French/African side back with bags of potential.

Yes, I'd be more sure about Rosicky scoring and Hleb having an improved impact. I hope Hlebs improvement is substantial as it's the only place on the pitch we have little cover....which leads me to.

Sadly, no. don't think so.

Reyes back and happy to be there, does that count?
    Failing that Robhino.

Feeling quietly optimistic now actually. Looks like Bakari Sagna is coming in at RB - I've heard him described as a better defender than Eboue, and better going forward than Hoyte. At £6m he seems rather too expensive to be ANC cover for Eboue, so where does Eboue go? Midfield? Not sure that'd work long term, though he'd be a useful option to have.

Sagna and another forward of some description, and I think the club is in very good shape. Grimandi for DoF, Wenger sign a new contract, and Arsenal win the league in 2008/09! (2007/08 is beyond us, no matter who is signed imo).

Oh, and I think Theo will be a much more important player for us this season. The boy is class.

Unfortunately not. Seems to be lacking a lot when he has the ball at his feet. Lost so much possession last year trying to take on defenders. Hopefully will come into his own the season after next. I can see him being an Arsenal legend at some point.

Yes. I'm a massive fan of both. Van Persie will get 20+ and Ade can come close to the 20 mark. I can see Ade as more of a playmaker for RvP, Da Silva and Walcott.
    I believe we're well covered for full backs however could do with a solid central pairing. I'd like to see Djourou partner Toure. Failing that put Big Willy in the centre with Kolo.

Hopefully!

No chance. He's done great things for us in recent years however I think he's past his best.

Gudjohnson. Don't know exactly why, just always thought he'd be great at Arsenal.

Unforunately no, hope i''m wrong.

RVP no problems just stay injury free, Ade better finishing and he should od it no problem.

Yes i think it is, i think clichy and eboue are'nt the greatest defensively, but they really add to our attack.

rosicky yes, hleb god knows, said it before hleb is very impressive on the ball the problem is when it leaves his feet.

Seriously doubt, never been the same since those hip injuries.

Quaresma.

I spotted this on a Spurs forum of all places; it's a good read on our new boy. Written by a former football scout seemingly. Link
    Only the mandatory medical exam stands between Dinamo Zagreb’s top scorer, Eduardo Da Silva, and a transfer to Arsenal. The transfer-fee isn’t being published, but some sources are suggesting a fee of 6-8million pounds, while a somewhat diffuse statement from Croatia states a gigantic £16,25million. This would be the same amount of money that Arsenal got from selling Henry. Until we have an official statement from Arsenal I’ll be taking these figures with a pinch of salt.

Even though Dinamo could have sold Eduardo to Russia a long time ago, the future of the striker has been clear for a while. Along with the clubs fantastic playmaker Luka Modric. European clubs have been drooling over Eduardo for a long time. A more appealing player from an “exporting” football nation can hardly be imagined, but Dinamo’s mighty owner, Zdravko Mamic, was firm in his conviction that when it was time for Eduardo to leave Croatia it would be done in style. For one of the Balkan’s giants it was unthinkable to trade Champions League-ambitions and a reputation as one of Eastern Europe’s most promising clubs against a large pile of roubles.

Arsenal-fans were probably expecting a more household-name after Henry’s unfortunate departure to Barcelona. Fernando Torres’ likely transfer to Liverpool isn’t doing much too much to ease frustration over the fact that Arsenal are not as free-spending either. If the reported fee is close to the truth then this is certainly a considerable amount of money for a player with no experience from any of the major European leagues. If we ignore the money and turn our heads towards the quality of the player, I give my thumbs up for this transfer. I am perhaps in the minority here, but it’s this kind of signing – the introduction of exciting players full of potential – that gives me a Premier League-buzz already in early July. I’m sorry to have to mention Dimitar Berbatov in a blogg-entry about Arsenal, but I think just like the big Bulgarian turned sceptical first-impressions into thundering heartbeats, Eduardo may well do the same a couple of kilometres south of there.

I first became aware of the player about three years ago. The native of Rio de Janeiro had just become a Croat national and was playing for his country in the U21 European Championships in Germany. In spite of a poor Croatian tournament Eduardo made a positive impression, with a goal and some fine substitute appearances. In the autumn of 2004 I checked his status again. The striker was about come into full bloom, the dibbles that went nowhere a couple of months earlier now sent opponents on their backside, his footballing brain had matured and his shoulders were a few centimetres wider. There was progress to report.

I saw Eduardo half a dozen times around Europe that same autumn. My glowing reports generated some interest with my superiors at Hannover 96, but during a hospitable lunch with Zdrako Mamic in Zagreb, following Croatia’s 4-0 drubbing of Iceland in March 2005, I was presented with a polite but unshakable “No, Eduardo is staying here” by the powerful Dinamo-boss. And there, over a plate of specialities that are only served on the Balkans and that I suspect aren’t part of the local’s daily nourishments, ended my flirt with the talented striker. That he now will be playing his home games a ten minute walk from my doormat, will have to be a very meagre consolation.

Since the U21-days Eduardo has had an immense development. Not only physically and tactically, but also from looking quite meek in challenges, looking shy and uncommitted – he has boosted his physical strength through intensive fitness-sessions and practically changed his entire game. From a wandering “second striker”-role with a chronic tendency of drifting wide and going past players, he now operates primarily in the middle of the park. In true Brazilian fashion he was over-particular and fond of having the ball at his feet, and could be classed as more of a creator than a finisher, but with the gradual change in his game he also became a more direct player.

He has taught himself to take advantage of his extra weight, dares to get stuck in and go in for aerial challenges and get involved in tight spaces. In the U21days he wasn’t a typical goal-scorer either. He scored the odd goal, but usually created more than he scored – as I said he frequently drifted out wide – but with 34 goals in 32 games for Dinamo Zagreb last season and 8 in 14 for the national side we are today talking about a goal-getter for absolute top class.

To replace Henry at Arsenal now would be an impossible task. Unfair comparisons will be made, but that’s football. Eduardo do not run with the ball with the same unearthly speed as the Frenchman – but then again few others in world football do, but there are definitive similarities in the way they with silky, predatory agility and clinical timing find space behind opposing defences. His finishing is at a very advanced level – very good “heads up” against the goalkeeper, and his pace is, if not on Henry’s level, very impressive.

With a background as a beach-footballer – Eduardo had never played organised football when he came to Croatia as a 15 year old – he has blinding skill. Even in Croatia, a country with a high amount of skilful players, he is considered a wonder and an attraction out of the ordinary. Only fans of Hajduk Split would dispute this description. The Copacabana-background also meant a poor physique, but as I’ve said he has beefed himself up from a scrawny teenager to a fit athlete, ready for international challenges. The neck-muscles of Julio Baptista he lacks, but after a careful period of integration I think the Croat can become a big success at Emirates. Left-footed, with a good shot, still very agile – drags himself with sublime balance past opponents like a hot knife through butter, and constantly developing his heading-abilities, everything is set for Eduardo to put a damper on the Henry-melancholy already this autumn.

Though I haven’t consulted statistics I’m pretty certain Arsenal create more chances than any other team in the Premier League. Even without Henry the gunners have served up cultured football on the very highest level, and all the footballing premises are laid for skilful, clever, agile Eduardo to succeed. I’m quite confident that where Adebayor, Julio Baptista and Aliadiere fired blanks, Eduardo will deliver.

The Devil’s advocates will naturally enter the fray; even Bosko Balaban led the scoring-charts in Croatia with 73 goals in 106 games. Smart rhetoric is hard to counter-argue, especially when the cynics throw the dice before having even seen the player, but the fact remains that the Croat has overcome every new challenge so far in his career. In fact, not only has Eduardo adapted to new challenges and higher levels of football, he has been convincing and dominating immediately.

For me Eduardo da Silva is a talent beyond the ordinary. Finally by dream of seeing him in a major European league is coming to pass, and where I stand I can’t think of a better place for him to be than with Arsene Wenger’s (should he stay) young rebels. To Arsenal-fans I can only say: You have something to look forward to. Big name or not, this is no Francis Jeffers, Kaba Diawara or Alberto Mendez Rodriguez, but one of the worlds most sought-after strikers. Unknown today, but by Christmas he will be on everyone’s lips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Good article. The scout's name is Tor-Kristian Karlsen.

I'm in shock it came from a spuds site.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement