Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

redspider wrote:
    I just wanted to say that its good to see Henry committing himself to Arsenal, much like what Gerrard did last season for Liverpool. Its good to see that both of these players are showing that they play with their hearts more than their wallet. (although of course they are very well recompensed).

Arsenal may have lost the CL final, but they 'won' their man, Henry. A silver lining in the cloud of this week and a satisfactory end to the saga.

redspider

I'd say Henry is earning more now at Arsenal than he would have been offered at Barcelona. With Henry's contract secure and Vieira long gone, what will the tabloids have to write about now? Walcott to Barcelona for €50m?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

The Muppet wrote:
    Thats a huge boost for the gunners. Nice to see some loyalty to the fans from Henry. I reckon he would have gone out on a high had they won the CL.
    .;)
    Loyalty to the fans, nah..pussy wipped by the missus more like.

No really though, I think he just likes where he is and didn't want to bother going to another club, not be respected as greatly, as captain, family and friends, doesn't need the extra money etc etc. Don't think it was out of loyalty to the fans because as he said he owes them nothing.

Brilliant that he's staying, hope he performs in the world cup.

Arsenal rejected bids of over £50m?

He can't be talking about this season. As good a player as Henry is, with only 1 year left on his contract I doubt anybody would have bid over £20m.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A little bit of exaggeration there from Double-D methinks!

Good article on Henry's decision to stay from Amy Lawrence in the Gaurdian: http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1779714,00.html

For once, I'm actually looking forward to the summer transfer window!

ANR has just posted a story saying Fenerbahce have signed Sol Campbell for £8 million. Oh that Myles Palmer!

Would be a great deal if it was true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ANR has just posted a story saying Fenerbahce have signed Sol Campbell for £8 million.
    I think he may have fabricated 6 of those 0's on the price tag ;)

I think he may have fabricated 6 of those 0's on the price tag ;)
    hehe not many arguments here! The story seems to be doing the rounds on a number of turkish websites.

Stories emanating from Germany suggest that Arsenal are signing Tomas Rosicky from Dortmund (who are heavily in debt afaik) for about £6-7 million. He's been linked to Arsenal for quite a while and would be a brilliant signing if true imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Arsenal have apparently belatedly entered the race to sign Andy Johnson.

Bolton had already made a bid last week but today increased their offer to £8million amidst speculation that Everton and Wigan are also desperate to sign the player.

Presumably Arsenal feel they have the best chance of grabbing his signature, not only because they seem to be the highest profile club interested, but also because a move to the Gunners would keep AJ in the capital.

All probably b*ll*cks of course, but if AJ was gonna go anywhere I'd want it to be Arsenal.

P.S. No mention on Fenerbahce's official site about any Campbell offer or interest. Could be a load of ole cobblers.

Andy Johnson? Are you serious? I've heard the rumours too but if they are true i'll be mortified. He is not good enough, and offers nothing that we don't already have. If after long being interested in the likes of Torres, Berbatov, Robinho, Baptista etc, Arsenal sign Andy Johnson, I think I might cry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Andy Johnson is not a bad player, but isn't Arsenal quality.
    That said, he does like to play with the ball at his feet, and is the type of player who can nick a goal out of nothing, something that Arsenal still havn't got after all this time.

That said, Baptista has been offered to United and Arsenal, so Arsenal should probably take him instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ANR has just posted a story saying Fenerbahce have signed Sol Campbell for £8 million. Oh that Myles Palmer!

Would be a great deal if it was true.

It makes sense if they are going to sign your man curtis davies from west brom. they have being linked all season, and they might be making room for him. Rosicky sounds like a possible player they would sign as well, as tehy were apparently loking at him in January. hes a decen player. Not sure about andy Johnson though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

i certainly think that Arsenal are going to bring in a player for nearly every postion this season, most high proifle. I can see an understudy to Lehman coming in, a new CB, mabye a new RB (hopefully), a CM, A LW and a striker. I would suprised if Andy Johnson did move to Aresenal, he would be more suited at Everton or Bolton.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not an Arsenal fan but apparently Rosicky is having a medical at Arsenal today.

Read it on another forum so no source.

I heard that too, I doubt it's true though. Mind you various sources were saying Rosicky would sign before the end of the week. He could allow Fabregas to rest and could also play on the left, which would be ideal for a new signing.

Palace have rejected bids of £8m from Everton and Bolton, which is plain ridiculous. Anyone who bids higher than that needs their head examined IMO.
    i certainly think that Arsenal are going to bring in a player for nearly every postion this season, most high proifle. I can see an understudy to Lehman coming in, a new CB, mabye a new RB (hopefully), a CM, A LW and a striker. I would suprised if Andy Johnson did move to Aresenal, he would be more suited at Everton or Bolton.
    A new RB?! That has to be Arsenal's strongest position! Eboue, Lauren, Gilbert, Hoyte, hell if Flamini can play at LB so well, he can do RB too (and he's right footed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He might mean LB if Cole leaves, but then you'd only really need an understudy to Clichy? Wenger may decide to re-model the left side of the team if both Cole and Pires leave.

Most of the major news sites (SSN, Reuters etc) are running the story that Rosicky is undergoing/has completed a medical and is discussing terms with Arsenal - source Karel Bruckner, Czech Republic manager.

Yesssss! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

If it happens, then it's a fantastic signing. He's a quality player.

After him, i can see Wenger bringing in another big name player - maybe a CB. And supplementing those 2 big signings with a couple of unknowns to beef up the squad.

Andy Johnson? Are you serious? I've heard the rumours too but if they are true i'll be mortified. He is not good enough, and offers nothing that we don't already have. If after long being interested in the likes of Torres, Berbatov, Robinho, Baptista etc, Arsenal sign Andy Johnson, I think I might cry...

got this live on one of the Arseblogger forums today that Tomas Rosicky is doing a medical in Highbury as we speak. I just see it also annouicned on Planetfootball
    http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=389184&CPID=8&clid=3&lid=4161&title=Rosicky+in+Arsenal+talks
    great signing if it happens. a player not yet at his peak. Be some seriously good business if they sign him. dortmound are in debt, and apparently ateletic madrid dont have all the money up front to pay for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Like this player although never heard of him some back up for Gilberto & Cesc but a replacement for Bobby ?

We still need another CB time to say bye Bye to Cygan not sure about Sol we may get another year from him

Tomas Rosicky compilation

Height: 1.79m. Weight: 68.00kg. Nationality: Czech Republic
    Born: 04/10/1980 in Prague

98-99 Sparta Prague 3 Games (-)
    99-00 Sparta Prague 5 Goals, 24 Games (-) 6 Games
    00-01(juil) Sparta Prague 3 Goals, 14 Games 2 + 0 + 0 Goals, 6 Games (Champions League)
    00-01 Borussia Dortmund 15 Games (-) 5 Games
    01-02 Borussia Dortmund 5 Goals, 30 Games 1 + 0 Goals, 6 + 8 Games (Champions League + UEFA Cup) 2 Goals, 4 Games
    02-03 Borussia Dortmund 3 Goals, 30 Games 2 Goals, 7 Games (Champions League)
    03-04 Borussia Dortmund 2 Goals, 19 Games 2 Games (UEFA Cup)
    04-05 Borussia Dortmund 4 Goals, 27 Games (-)
    05-06 Borussia Dortmund 5 Goals, 28 Games (-) 2 Goals, 4 Games

Tomas ROSICKY Honours
    2001 Champion of Czech Republic (Sparta Prague)
    2002 Bundesliga Champions (Borussia Dortmund)
    2002 UEFA Cup Finals (Borussia Dortmund)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

nah, i meant a RB. I wouldn't rate Eboue at this stage, he is a good young player but i think his time might have come too soon for Arsenal. Hoyte is unporoven at this level and i never thought too highly of Lauren as a RB, i thought he has quite a good central midfielder thou.

What position does Rosicky play in the midfield?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

wow, if they sign him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

He's an attacking midfielder who can replace the gap that is being by Pires and Lnunberg, but they still need a Vieira style player.
    Their attack isn't what cost them this year, it's been their defense.

That said, apparently he's very good, so it can't hurt.

PHB wrote:
    He's an attacking midfielder who can replace the gap that is being by Pires and Lnunberg, but they still need a Vieira style player.

dortmoiund payed 18 milloin for him a few years back

PHB wrote:

No, it's the attack. 20 goals in the league away from home, mostly probably from Henry.

I expect he'll play on the left of midfield and hopefully push Reyes into the centre. Happy days.

No, it's the attack. 20 goals in the league away from home, mostly probably from Henry.

I expect he'll play on the left of midfield and hopefully push Reyes into the centre. Happy days.

if you look at his opta stats, hes well able to get stuck in as well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

He's a box to box type mid but just doesn't look it. GOod buy for arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Lovely jovely this a great signing for us. He's a quality player, played brilliantly for the Czech Republic at Euro 2004. Because of the early stages of the Champions League for us this year, Wenger is delving in now, before anybody else. Hopefully we can add a hard tackling midfielder, and maybe another centre back. I'd also expect a replacement sub keeper to be bought.

He's a fantastic player. He was also in the Euro2000 Czech squad, I think when he was only 19 or so (someone back me up on that).

I also remember him scoring a fantastic individual goal at Highbury in the Champion's League for Sparta Prague in 2000/2001. Twas only a last minute consolation to make it 4-2 to l'Arse, but I remember thinking he was a real prospect.

And now he's a Gunner.

Brilliant - as a lot of ppl have said, he's most likely a replacement for Bobby, or backup on the Left-wing that would allow Reyes to be more of a striker than he currently is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Interesting to note that its not pronounced like "Rosicky" but actually "Rajitsky".

Looks a great player from what I've seen of him, though I haven't seen a great deal. I remember him smacking a cracking volley off the crossbar in Euro 2004.

• Advertisement

I've been pronouncing it "Rozzickee" for 6 years and I'm not about to change that habit now dammit!!!:D

But yeah, it's probably "Rozzittskee" or something similar, I've heard a few commentators say it like that. Still hate it tho.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Lovely jovely this a great signing for us. He's a quality player, played brilliantly for the Czech Republic at Euro 2004. Because of the early stages of the Champions League for us this year, Wenger is delving in now, before anybody else. Hopefully we can add a hard tackling midfielder, and maybe another centre back. I'd also expect a replacement sub keeper to be bought.

Davies from West Brom next to replace Campbell id say...possibly. They need a strong backup for Jens. And i dont see that as almunia..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

It's official, Rosicky has signed

Long term contract, undisclosed fee

from arsenal.com

Wonder how much it was. It had to have been < 10mil, since Dortmund are desperate for money. If it was cheap, im suprised ManU didn't get involved given their lack of depth in the centre.

SofaKing wrote:
    Wonder how much it was. It had to have been < 10mil, since Dortmund are desperate for money. If it was cheap, im suprised ManU didn't get involved given their lack of depth in the centre.

7mill sterling i heard.....good price for a top class mid fielder playing for a top international team. As usual good busines by wenger. Lets hope he keeps injury free and we get the best out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Just out of interest whats the reasoning behind Undisclosed Fees? I mean everybody has a fair idea of the figure that hes gone for. Why do clubs sometimes refuse to release this figure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Arsenal always pay for transfers through "undisclosed fees". No idea why though, can't see any advantages to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

The only thing that's official is that it was over 6 million, since that was the figure needed to trigger the contract in his clause that let him leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Freedomfighter

Im very excited about Rosicky signing for us. I have seen him quiet a bit and he is very good but you can see the potential in him. Remember how bad Henry was when he started playing for us and look how good he is now, well this is how Rosicky will unfold. He is good now but with Wenger he will be amazing. Fernando Torres is next on the list apparently. But everyone answer this Henry and RVN how do you think they would play together on the same team?

• Advertisement

i think they would play brilliantly together but cannot see RVN going to Arsenal at all

I hope Torres isn't signed. I think he's a bit overrated, would be expensive, and would be one player too many in terms of competition for places. Van Persie would have to go (Adebayor won't be sold after 6 months), which I suppose is very possible if the rumours are true, but it'd also leave either Reyes or Fabregas down the pecking order - depending on where Rosicky is going to be deployed.

Delighted that Rosicky has been signed as the need for another creative influence was the number one priority with the losses of Bergkamp and Pires this summer. I think the main areas after that are DM, CB and a backup keeper. Someone with more bite than Gilberto is necessary (who can pass too) and the CB situation needs resolving (if Campbell's problems are purely psychological and can be sorted then keep him, otherwise another CB). Whew! After that, we're all set!
    Henry
                     Reyes
           Rosicky              Hleb
                Fabregas  ???????
     Cole     ????????     Toure     Eboue
                    Lehmann

Backup: Van Persie, Adebayor, Walcott, Ljungberg, Gilberto, Flamini, Clichy, Senderos, Djourou, Lauren, ???????.

Lastly, send out Smith, Bendtner, Lupoli, Gilbert and Hoyte (again) on loan to premiership sides.

The release fee in Rosicky's contract was apparently £6.8m.

// Forgot about Diaby, but he who knows when he'll be back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

which I suppose is very possible if the rumours are true

Where do you get your info from?
    Also I hear you mention van perise being fined for being lazy in training.

Is Arse-blog the main site you use?

arseblog, land, mania, goodplaya, the times, indo, gaurdian and all the usual footy websites. So one or two really.

The rumour is that Van Persie's toe injury (which happened very quickly after recovering from another injury) was a cover for him being suspended. I remember seeing his goal against Villa after his return from injury and thinking his celebration seemed a bit odd. I hope it's bull**** though, because he's a fabulously talented player.

£6.8 million for Rosicky according to Sky Sports News

good business

• Advertisement

Pighead wrote:
    Just out of interest whats the reasoning behind Undisclosed Fees? I mean everybody has a fair idea of the figure that hes gone for. Why do clubs sometimes refuse to release this figure?
    They are a private plc, and dont need to make costs known to the PLC like United say. Your not showing your hand by saying undisclosed fee, but thena again dortmound probably list it on the other end..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

tred wrote:
    They are a private plc, and dont need to make costs known to the PLC like United say.

Where have you been for the last 12 months. Man U are also a plc now so therefore they are in the same boat

Aquos76 wrote:
    Where have you been for the last 12 months. Man U are also a plc now so therefore they are in the same boat

Well i didnt want to bring up that touchy subject incase there were any united supporters reading this, but i ment before. I think anyone who was reading my answer understood what i ment...

tred wrote:
    They are a private plc
    That's sort of a contradiction, isn't it.

SofaKing wrote:
    That's sort of a contradiction, isn't it.

they are not listed on stock exchange...
    I think if u say pay 20 million for a player and people can buy ur shares, they need to know as it effects the balance sheet end of season, and hence effects the shareprice....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement