Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

He's meant to be great on the ball, good passer too, but an absolute horrible finisher, which is why i thought he suited us.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Tusky wrote:
    Curious as to how you Arsenal fans feel about Liverpool signing Babel. Wasnt he a target of yours ? Im not trying to rub salt in the wound, I know nothing about the guy and just wanted to know how yea felt about it ?

Do you feel its a loss or do you not rate him ?
    I've seen SFA of him so I can only pass on what I've read from others; there are a few Dutch Gooners on the forum I read. One was completely against Arsenal signing him a year ago, but admits he has improved a lot in the last year. He was neutral to the story of Babel coming to Arsenal for £6m, but thinks that £10m+ is insanely over priced. Another thought Babel would have been a good option as an impact sub for Arsenal next season and would be worth a punt at £6m, he hasn't posted since the Babel to Liverpool stories started.

He's described as being very quick, strong, unpredictable and has a good shot. On the downside, he's inconsistent, has a dodgy first touch, doesn't track back much and needs to work on his technique.

Back to Arsenal.

We continue to be linked to Gouffran and Martins. If we got both, I'd be satisfied with our summer dealings. I'd like an aerially strong CB to replace Gallas, but apart from that we'd be good to go.

Caen's chairman has apparently come out and said nobody has contacted him about Gouffran, which flies in the face of all the reports that say the deal is all but done. Hmm. A lot of people seem very hot on him - he's a short 20 year old winger/striker, but apparently is extremely quick, is a very good finisher, dribbler and has great skill. Is nicknamed 'The Little Prince' and is rumoured to be only going to cost £2m to £3m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd like to see Gallas sold and somebody else bought at centre back alright.

Woot, we passed 1000 posts! Go team! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Gallas never seemed fully committed to the club IMO and now he is telling Mr. Wenger how to do his job? If we sold Henry over that then Gallas won't last long.
    I see Sagna is a done deal and has the number 3 jersey... I thought that was haunted..

Actually I want some opinions from you guys. I'm going to the Emirates at the end of the month and want to buy a jersey there to mark the occasion, (when I visited Highbury I got one with 'ADAMS 6' on the back).
    I was thinking of getting the new away jersey with lettering on top where the name goes ' GUNNER GET', the numbers 08 and at the bottom ' DA SILVA'.

Good idea/bad idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bad idea. Just get Cesc or Van Persie or something.

Bad idea, he doesn't go by Da Silva as that is his mother's maiden name!

Gallas was always a mouther. He was the same at them and has spoken out on the french team too. He is a class act, i say hold onto him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Sagna deal done according to SSN, be back in a mo with a link. Ok i can't find one right now

• Advertisement

I saw a picture of him in one of the papers yesterday holding up the Arsenal number 3 jersey.
    In fact..
    http://www.arsenal.com/index.asp

They should know

Galvasean wrote:
    I saw a picture of him in one of the papers yesterday holding up the Arsenal number 3 jersey.
    In fact..
    http://www.arsenal.com/index.asp

They should know

Yeah i think that might just about do it:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

... good passer too, .... horrible finisher

The anti - Luis Garcia then. :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Galvasean wrote:
    Actually I want some opinions from you guys. I'm going to the Emirates at the end of the month and want to buy a jersey there to mark the occasion, (when I visited Highbury I got one with 'ADAMS 6' on the back).
    I was thinking of getting the new away jersey with lettering on top where the name goes ' GUNNER GET', the numbers 08 and at the bottom ' DA SILVA'.

Good idea/bad idea?

Don't buy the TH 14 ones, no matter how good a discount it seems!

Completely different from the Eduardo signing. Can't wait for august and see where he palys.

marco_polo wrote:
    Don't buy the TH 14 ones, no matter how good a discount it seems!
    How about CHAPMAN 25, In honor of the year Herbert Chapman took control as Arsenal boss?

Galvasean wrote:
    How about CHAPMAN 25, In honor of the year Herbert Chapman took control as Arsenal boss?

A true legend alright. That would be a nice one. Only downside would be that you may get loads of people asking you what position Chapman plays in and if you expect him to break through to the first team this year.

marco_polo wrote:
    A true legend alright. That would be a nice one. Only downside would be that you may get loads of people asking you what position Chapman plays in and if you expect him to break through to the first team this year.
    Doesn't bother me. I got plenty of people telling me, "You do know Tony Adams is retired?"
    I usually respond with, "No **** Sherlock!" :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

A question regarding Red Membership. If I was to get it how many tickets would that entitle me to buy for a game? (assuming they are available of course).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Is Sagna a fullback?

Yep, plays on the right for the most part but has played on the left once or twice too. From what i can tell he is very sound defensively but lacks some of the threat going forward

Galvasean wrote:
    Doesn't bother me. I got plenty of people telling me, "You do know Tony Adams is retired?"
    I usually respond with, "No **** Sherlock!" :P

lol very good. Amazing the amount of smart arses going that would raise a daft point like that with you. I mean the guy is an arsenal legend and one of the fewest one-club men around. Henry in my opinion is also an arsenal legend. i have 2 shirts at home with his name on the back. i am thinking of framing them. hopefully ill get to get his autograph first. i got the claret shirt with bergkamp (another legend) on the back of it to signify his and highburys last season.

Mossy Monk wrote:
    A question regarding Red Membership. If I was to get it how many tickets would that entitle me to buy for a game? (assuming they are available of course).
    2. Me and a friend went splits. It rounds off to about €33 between us per season.

lol very good. Amazing the amount of smart arses going that would raise a daft point like that with you. I mean the guy is an arsenal legend and one of the fewest one-club men around. Henry in my opinion is also an arsenal legend. i have 2 shirts at home with his name on the back. i am thinking of framing them. hopefully ill get to get his autograph first. i got the claret shirt with bergkamp (another legend) on the back of it to signify his and highburys last season.

Bless you sir. My local pub have a framed jersey signed by the Untouchable team. I want it so bad. They also have several seats from Highbury... and...
    THE FAMOUS HIGHBURY SCREEN!
    I love my local. :)

Oh and Fabregas turned down a megabucks move to Madrid. i love that kid, reminds me of Tony Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Galvasean wrote:
    Bless you sir. My local pub have a framed jersey signed by the Untouchable team. I want it so bad. They also have several seats from Highbury... and...

Oh and Fabregas turned down a megabucks move to Madrid. i love that kid, reminds me of Tony Adams.

I really hope Fabregas stays for many years. He has the potential to become one of the greats. I know he signed a deal for the next 8 years, but that seems to mean very little these days.

• Advertisement

More rumours from South America saying we've agreed a fee for Argentine striker Rodrigo Palacio of about £15m, but have not yet agreed personal terms with the player.

Meh, I imagine he'd have to be a Freddie replacement.

How credible is this? Probably not very! http://www.topix.net/forum/world-soccer/boca-juniors/TMTGVLFBLNLDMDAR9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Galvasean wrote:
    My local pub have a framed jersey signed by the Untouchable team. I want it so bad. They also have several seats from Highbury... and...

Good ole Gibney's. That screen is hilariously oversized for the size of the place though.

More rumours from South America saying we've agreed a fee for Argentine striker Rodrigo Palacio of about £15m, but have not yet agreed personal terms with the player.

Meh, I imagine he'd have to be a Freddie replacement.

How credible is this? Probably not very! http://www.topix.net/forum/world-soccer/boca-juniors/TMTGVLFBLNLDMDAR9

http://bocajnews.blogspot.com/2007/07/rodrigo-palacio-on-his-way-to-arsenal.html

boys on arseblog reckon it's wollox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The deal with Barca didn't go ahead due to problems with contractual agreements with his previous clubs, apparently.

Anyway, it's probably rubbish, but there isn't much else going on at the moment!

• Advertisement

So guys are you all happy with the squad now or does it need more strengthening?
    Realistically what position do you expect us to finish next season?

Saw a kid with Henry 14 on his shirt today. Some balls.

Galvasean wrote:
    So guys are you all happy with the squad now or does it need more strengthening?
    Realistically what position do you expect us to finish next season?

Saw a kid with Henry 14 on his shirt today. Some balls.

I still wear my Vieira 4 shirt and Pires 7. Henry was our top scorer ever and most if not all were privilleged to have him play for us. As for Strengthening, would like to see another winger.

I ear an Adams 6, but if i had an Henry 14 I'd probably leave it to rest for a year or so and bring it back once it becomes retro.

Galvasean wrote:
    I ear an Adams 6, but if i had an Henry 14 I'd probably leave it to rest for a year or so and bring it back once it becomes retro.

Yeah that'd probably be the best way to do it. If i was to go for anyone now, i'd say maybe i'd get Clichy or Toure or someone who isn't going to piss off in the near future. Clichy doesn't get enough attention and i just love his attitude so yeah, I'd go with him.

currently Kolo 5 on mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

if the rumours about Rodrigo Palacio are true, I'd say the Gunners are well equipped to challenge.

Otherwise, yeah, they need more in midfield, prob the wing.

lol, the Palacio rumour did indeed turn out to be bull**** - complete fabrication.

Still, fingers crossed Wenger brings in another forward.

Ahh it's probably for the best anyway, I'd prefer a tried and tested winger to come in tbh, though if Freddie doesn't leave i don't think that will happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I put the blink on anyone who I get on my shirt, they always leave! I've had Anelka, Overmars, Cole and Henry....I'm very tentative about getting Touré cos I don't want him to leave.

More pressing matters, it seems wenger is going to sign on for another while, he says he has obligations to the parents of all the children we currently have on our books.

cson wrote:
    I put the blink on anyone who I get on my shirt, they always leave! I've had Anelka, Overmars, Cole and Henry....I'm very tentative about getting Touré cos I don't want him to leave.

Please get song or hleb next on your shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Hleb it is then :D

Speaking of cole, i'd just gotten the away shirt and was gong to get Cole 3, but the shop was out of E's(the letter). so i'd to wait till monday, that sunday the news of the world posted the infamous kenyon/maureen meeting, phew!!

cson wrote:
    Hleb it is then :D
    I'm pretty sure you are joking, but just in case of the off chance you arent, NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Watched most of the friendly today and I have to say i was impressed with both Eduardo and Sagna from their brief appearances. Eduardo put in about 3 very good crosses and looked very mobile. Also Traore looked brilliant when he came on along with Van Persie who got two goals. Walcott got a goal and an assist and did well for himself, finished 3-0 in the end.

Arsenal are understood to have struck deals for South American starlets Angel Di Maria and Pedro Silva.

The news has emerged via Spain, as The Gunners have already agreed a deal with Salamanca to take the two teenagers on loan - in a similar move to the one which saw Mexican Carlos Vela move on a temporary basis last season.

Gilles Grimandi, one of Arsene Wenger's most trusted scouts, cast his eye over both and is understood to have given glowing references.

Di Maria (pictured) is very highly rated in his homeland and is part of the Argentina Under 20 squad which has made the semi-finals at the World Championship in Canada.

'The Little Angel', as he is known, has scored two goals in four games and is one of the stars of the tournament so far.

It is now understood that Arsenal have brokered a deal with his club Rosario Central and the 19-year-old will link up with The Gunners later this month.

However, because he does not meet work-permit criteria - he is ready to spend the season with Salamanca, who are more than happy to take the left winger following Vela's successful stay at the club.

Di Maria will also have company in the shape of Pedro - a 17-year-old forward from Brazil.

Pedro is currently with Figueirense - who Arsenal have had talks with about a co-operation agreement.

Pedro has already made his first-team debut and was first spotted by Arsenal's South American scout Sandro Orlandelli some months ago.

Some reports claim Pedro has already had a trial with The Gunners, and he now seems to have done enough to earn a move to North London - but he is also set to spend the season in Spain.

Salamanca are hopeful of confirming the arrival of both players later this week.
    Niiiice. Posted about both of them a few pages back. I wonder if Di Maria could get a special talent work permit - the guys on the forums I read have been doing backflips about his ability and hoping we'd sign him, describing him as being like a young cross between Pires and Kaka in style.

Vela has been doing very well as of late also.

Missed the game tonight, would have liked to have seen it. I hear Eduardo, Walcott, Traore and Sagna did well.

Di Maria you say? I think I signed him for Arsenal in Football Manager! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Di Maria scored the first tonight in the U-20 world championship semi-final against Chile anyway. Just saw it on livescore, Argentina currently leading 2-0 and Chile down to 10 men, 20minutes left.

Edit> watched the last 20mins and saw the highlights at the end, Di Maria's was some savage shot to the top corner on the half volly after the ball came over his shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

I still reckon and have always maintained Walcott will be big really big for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

I still reckon and have always maintained Walcott will be big really big for us.

I agree with ya...........i think he has great potential and am hoping he shows it this season.

Reading the report on the 3-0 win over Genclerbirligi.........Theo set up one of Van Persie's goals and also got on the score sheet himself.

• Advertisement

You can watch the highlights here:

http://arsenalfcblog.com/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement