Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Just hopeAllardyces run against us does'nt follow to newcastle.
    If our last match against Bolton was anything to go by..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We've a fairly shít record against newcastle of late afaik. Shay Given the cúnt always seems to save his world class man of the match displays for us, same with Jaaskeleinen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

cson wrote:
    We've a fairly shít record against newcastle of late afaik. Shay Given the cúnt always seems to save his world class man of the match displays for us, same with Jaaskeleinen.

I know the feeling, Given, Friedel, and Jaaskeleinen seem to love us.

Oh arseblog rumours forum saying Drenthe, altho theres no link to go with it. Started the brawl at the pool game, so he'd suit us.

Started the brawl at the pool game, so he'd suit us.
    I do kind of miss the days when we scored about ten goals per week and got two players sent off per week too. :D Exciting times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I'm really startin to look forward to the new season now after reading the likes of this(from Gallas of all people) and with everyone writing us off. I really hope we stick it to them all now and come out of the blocks sharpish with a good win against Fulham and continue on from that. Hopefully Clichy, Hleb and Van Persie can keep up their immense form from pre season and the likes of Fabregas and Rosicky can wake themselves up for the real deal. Either way, it seems like the pressure is off the team to some extent yet they are clearly well up for it so with a bit of luck there should be good times ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Yet again, I nearly didn't sign up for a fantasy football team as they'll only allow me to pick 3 Arsenal players.....and we don't even have anyone loaned out that I can pick!!

Anyway, the 845 billion euro question.....Eboue or Clichy??

Here's the facts, Eboue costs 6.5, Clichy costs 6.

Eboue is in as a defender.

This means that if, like in pre-season, he plays as a midfielder, he'll set up and score the odd goal. So he'll get 6 points for a clean sheet and his share of assists and goals. Well worth having.

The problem is that I'm unsure if Eboue will always play. Sagna looks brilliant to me(especially against that dirty Ajax lot the other day) and I'm convinced he'll start in front of Eboue at full back.

Clichy will always start bar injury and he'll get his fair share of assists(although if Eboue is playing 30 yards further up the pitch you'd have to feel he'll get more).

Anyway, if someone can tell me that Eboue will always start, then it's a no-brainer, he'll go in.

However I wouldn't be surprised to see Hleb or others start there occasionally as despite his promise, Eboue has much to learn about being a midfielder.

Well, what do we think?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Clichy for me.

Eboue, especially if he's down as a defender. He really impressed me on the wings in preseason and he's great crosser of the ball, with titi gone i can see more goals. I can see him get more goal if he starts on the wings.

got the new top today, Cesc 4 on the back. It's not too shabby looking.

Clichy for me too. Although your points about Eboue playing in midfield but getting point as a defender is a good one. Suppose just put in eboue(or Clichy but remember to save the extra .5 so you dont have to spend loads chopping and changing) for the start and wait and see if he will play in midfield regularly after the first few games and adjust as necessary if he doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'd hold off putting Eboue in until you see if he's going to play regularly. Don't forget that you'll have to take him out for the ANC.

Clichy will play all the time and there's a fair chance he'll start getting more assists with the likes of Eduardo and Bendtner around.

Personally, I'd be more inclined to look at defenders from Chelsea, Liverpool, Everton and Newcastle in particular, as I don't think Arsenal's defenders are good value in FF. I'd avoid Man United's forwards too while you're at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah I wouldn't go as far to say Newcastle this season. I know Allardyce will bring something but that defence was a calamity over the last few seasons and will certainly take time to get settled.

Well, I was looking at one particular Newcastle defender, but in general I don't think they'll be any worse value than Arsenal's defenders, who aren't likely to keep a large number of clean sheets, or score many goals.

Have to put in three Arsenal players....always...regardless.

Fabregas and Van Persie are totally worth it. Fabregas nearly didn't score at all last year and ended up with loads of points. I expect him to do better this year.

Yeah, already have a couple of Newcastle and Everton defenders in. Givens gone for a while now though.

Sorry for getting this so off topic and not posting it in the ff thread.

ARSENAL RULE

Well, I was looking at one particular Newcastle defender, but in general I don't think they'll be any worse value than Arsenal's defenders, who aren't likely to keep a large number of clean sheets, or score many goals.

geremi?? Might play in midfield due to injuries!!!

Will probably take free-kicks too.

Anyway, we're OT.

Can't wait for the Fulham game.

• Advertisement

With Lawrie sanchez in charge, we'll get a chance early on to see how we handle physical teams.

Gallas named captain :eek:

Unpopular yet interesting choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

could be cause he's a bit older so when he finishes up it will be the perfect time for Fabregas to take over..If Toure got it, Fabregas probably never would..just a thought..though in this case id have gone with Gilberto instead i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Strange choice indeed with longer servants at the club. I thought it would have been Gilberto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Gallas has been named captain because he personifies the style of football that Wenger wants next season. Beautiful but effective. Gallas has pretty much said, I don't care how we play once we win. Wenger wants a mix, and Gallas gives them that.
    I think it's a very clever choice.

*cough*
    Most importantly, there seems to be a change in attitude, largely shown by Gallas (who I think might be made captain because of this).

:P

• Advertisement

Always thought a defender makes a better captain. not surprised with the choice, gallas can be very vocal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Could have sworn that football365 said that gilberto was captain.
    Actually would have like it if he was. Gilberto ahs become very important to the team in the last few years.
    3rd french captain in a row aswell!

Rumour has it arsenal plan to sell Gilberto to Juventus for £4million to pave the way for a £5million swoop for Lasanna Diarra.
    I hope tahts not the case. Gilberto was great last season. Wenger seems to have a Logan's Run philosophy (anyone over 30 should be gotten rid of).

Was sure bert was captain and kolo 2nd in command, but then again nothing official was said. Never believe the papers especially when it comes to Arsenal.

Bert is great but he can have some really bad games at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Also maybe Wenger forsees Gilberto been edged out of the team this season by one of the younger lads Diaby or Denilson...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Djourou gone on loan to Brum. Am I right in thinking this leaves us Senderos and Gallas when the ANC is on??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

keano_afc if that is true then ffs. I don't like questioning Wenger but his rationale is seriously hard to understand. Our squad is size fúcking zero as it is. Nicole fúcking Richie size.

Any long-ish term injuries to any of the squad at any stage will make shít of our season.

It's better for Djourou in the long run, who could be top class if it goes right for him. I would imagine this means somebody else is coming in though.

Some news of the forthcoming Arsenal television channel. Seems it will be a part of the Setanta package. Not bad I guess.

News

Bout time we got our own channel.

Nothing about the Djouru loan on arsenal.com I doubt its true considering Djouru is better and more versatile than Senderos. With Toure and Eboue going to the ANC we will need all the available defenders weve got.

And Wenger says he wont make any more signings in this transfer window:
    http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=480137&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Wenger+-+There%27s+no+need+for+further+buys

• Advertisement

Galvasean wrote:
    And Wenger says he wont make any more signings in this transfer window:

Balls and here was i hoping for another last minute henry, suker transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Galvasean wrote:
    Nothing about the Djouru loan on arsenal.com I doubt its true considering Djouru is better and more versatile than Senderos. With Toure and Eboue going to the ANC we will need all the available defenders weve got.

It's confirmed there: http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=news&article=480102&cpid=703&title=Johan+Djourou+joins+Birmingham+City+on+loan

This makes no sense to me whatsoever.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

is the arsenal match today not being televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

dardoz wrote:
    is the arsenal match today not being televised?

Dont think so, Im watching it on Star Sports though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

what is star sports? how do i watch that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Just flicked over to the Arsenal game to see Hleb miss a sitter.

Arsenal 1-0 down. Seems to be lots of empty seats in the Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Engineering works with the Tune I think, so they had to play a day later and much earlier than normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The match is being streamed on StarSports SEA. I'm using TVU Player. Just download it and go onto rojadirecta.org.

mms://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:32105

There's a link for the game. Half-time now. 0-1.

• Advertisement

Odd stuff from Arsenal, they really should have put something away bar super goalkeeping from Falner (I think is his name)

Hleb is playing both incredible and **** at the same time. His runs have been mesmorising. His final ball has been shocking.

Still think Arsenal will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

mms://a1729.l2168647534.c21686.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1729/21686/v0001/reflector:32105

There's a link for the game. Half-time now. 0-1.
    thanks for link

Sweet Jesus, just saw the Fulham goal on Goals On Sunday. Of all the things that could go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PHB wrote:
    Odd stuff from Arsenal, they really should have put something away bar super goalkeeping from Falner (I think is his name)
    It's Tony Warner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Shamrok wrote:
    It's Tony Warner.

Commentators were saying his team mates have nicknamed him Densil ala Only Fools and Horses. Class :D

Come on Arsenal, this is looking all too familiar!

Oh my lord how do they manage to do this all the time? As PHB said, Hleb has been playing some wonderful stuff in the hole and should have had a peno definitely, but he also should have done better with that chance he had. Great goalkeeping from Warner, Fabregas really should have gotten something onto that through ball before he got to it. Anyway, hopefully they can do a little better in the second half

• Advertisement

If Arsenal lose this, I think you can effectively write off whatever chance they had at winning the Premier League this season. With the top teams being so strong, you can afford very few slips in the season. Losing at home against one of the divisions whipping boys on the first day doesn't exactly bode well for the season.

****ing hell, another incredible save from Warner.

Even if Arsenal lose this, you can't write them off. They are so close to clicking, and if they click, they could win every game in the rest of the season.

Furthermore, they look quite solid defensively, Sagna looks a great signing

PHB wrote:
    ****ing hell, another incredible save from Warner.

Good save alright be he should have scored it!

Fulham were so close to making it 2-0 there, open goal and all!

RvP just creased by Warner, doesn't look good.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement