Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PDN wrote:
    Carles Puyol from Barcelona. A 100% committed central defender who gives everything for the cause. Puyol & Toure would make an unbeatable combination.
    Except when up against forwards who are good in the air, which would account for most of the premiership.

Papa Boob the perfect signing? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

question: how good is bendtner?

i have not seen much of him but do know that wenger thinks very highly of him and i just saw on sky sports news that the danish press are linking him with a 10mil move to lyon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

10mil move to lyon!

good enough that that's not going to happen IMO.

He's a bit raw but posesses excellent technique. Has the ability to turn 180 degrees and shoot in one movement adn is a great header of the ball. once his touch and awareness comes on a bit then I think you'll see teams encounter serious problems every time he gets the ball near the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

If Kaka was to leave Italy, he would only play for Arsenal.

Not going to happen but nice to hear:

http://www.fansfc.com/frontpage/frontpagenews.asp?newsid=171993

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Heard that from several top players over the years, ronaldo(the real one) said it at some stage, when he was god.

We almost did sign him before milan did, rumour has it, we as good as had him and milan offered to loan Leonardo to Sao Paolo. Leonardo spent the spell there telling Kaka how great milan was and Leonardo ended up at milan.

Yep that was from 2004 I believe? I think the figure back then was about 15 mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I hope AW isn't gonna use Gilberto as cover for the centre halves. We really really need to get some defensive cover in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Lehman with another mess up last night which almost led to a Michael Owen goal. Worrying?

More worried that Almunia is the other option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Taken from Gunnerblog:

"Arsenal may be signing Palacios. That’s “Palacios“, not Palacio - that previous fêted but ill-fated transfer rumour.

Wilson Palacios, a 23-year-old winger, has been on trial for almost a week and will find out today or tomorrow whether or not he has done enough for Arsene Wenger to keep him permanently.

Palacios, who plays for Honduran team Deportive Olimpia, has previously had trials at Red Star Belgrade and Monaco, which reportedly fell through over “enconomic differences” and Palacios’ non-EU status respectively. However, the player’s father is confident about his chances of earning a move:

“He called us Monday afternoon, which alleviated our concerns, but it’s good news. He passed the medical examinations well. He’s already been in London five days, and if he’s made the right impression, he will remain there. We haven’t yet discussed the economic aspects - they are not important to us - what matters is that my son remains playing in England.”

Palacios began his career as a right-back, but his attacking instincts have seen him shunted forward into a wing role. He’s got a hell of a shot on him, as this video demonstrates - go to 1:05 in (or 38 seconds from the end) to see the goal hailed in Honduras as the best of all time:

Reports suggest that we would be prepared to pay £2m for Palacios’ services.

Of course, this could all be smoke without fire. Smoke from a cigarette, perchance. But there are some fairly reliable local sources (ie. ones that don’t quote The Sun) backing it up. It would hardly be a superstar signing, but with just over a week remaining in the transfer window, it might be all we can look forward to.

UPDATE: The Sporting Director of Palacio’s club, Osman Madrid, has spoken about the player’s potential move:

“The agreement with Arsenal is practically a fact - there is a big possibility, though it is not yet certain if the player will go on loan to English soccer.”

Whether that means it is not certain whether the player will move on loan or permanently, or on loan or not at all, I have no idea. Still, interesting stuff. Stick with us for the latest."

Please don't everyone start moaning about 'this isn't the world class CB we need'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Lehmann injured for 2 weeks. Almunia to stand in.

Injured or dropped.

Sky sports are reporting injured. Wouldn't be the first time Lehmann mysteriously succumbed to injury after playing crap.

Read in the paper today that Lehmann is AWOL and in Germany searching for a new club.
    In other news: Almunia plays. We win and keep a clean sheet. Happy days.:D

I'm concerned about the form of a number of players. We've gotten away with it so far but they need to find form fast.

• Advertisement

Sky Sports are showing the man city game at half 8

I see Gilberto played centre half yesterday. And I've just seen Wenger on the club website saying "I'm not in the market for new players". Have we 2 or 3 centre halves at the club that I dont know about?

It appears the injury to Senderos is minor and he'll be back soon. I don't know about Sagna.

I hate seeing Gilberto at the back. Senderos & Toure is fine by me as a CB pairing though.

Senderos and Sagna are due to be fit to face Sparta.
    With all these injuries (two midfielders playing in defense against Man C) will taht new young Norweigen centre back be getting a shot?

I cant see him being thrown in so soon, he's only 16 or 17? I can remember Senderos being badly exposed in the early days and doubt AW would risk the same. He'll get a run in the Carling Cup.

• Advertisement

Wow, i didn't realize he was THAT young. I taught he was 20. Still if he wants to be the next Tony Adams...

Just read on Sky Sports that we turned down the chance to sign Adriano on loan. A mistake surely??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nope, Wenger stated that he trusts the strikers he has.

Inter are dieing to get rid of Adriano. He never really lived up to the hype, plus he's meant to have an attitude problem. Flamini was the player they wanted in return apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

at least one player has to be brought in, not necessarily straight into the first team but we will get caught out numbers wise at some point, the defence already is falling apart with eboue, senderos and gallas all out. come on arsene get your cheque book out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

at least one player has to be brought in, not necessarily straight into the first team but we will get caught out numbers wise at some point, the defence already is falling apart with eboue, senderos and gallas all out. come on arsene get your cheque book out!
    What's the point? They'll only bounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

wat are your guys opinions on Baptista? sure you've heard but he has been linked with Liverpool today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

wat are your guys opinions on Baptista? sure you've heard but he has been linked with Liverpool today

uhh... any fan who saw him outside the Carling cup will tell you he's a horrendously over rated player. he missed so many sitters... and he doesn't seem to me to have any area of his game that would stand out at you. the guys not worth anything more than 5 mil sterling at best.

Good luck to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thats wat i thought! was he not class before he came to england though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i didnt think he was great at Real the season before he joined Arsenal, but from what i saw form when he was at Seville he was unreal though that was all just from Revista de la liga on sky sports so i didnt see much of his general play at that point so cant tell if he was as awkward and uncontrolled as he seemed to be last year. Still, i assume if Rafa really is after him, he feels theres something he can get out of him. Though i very much doubt he'll be 13.5mill, say more like 7 or 8. anything more and its not worth the risk. Id rather just keep crouchy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

A ha ha. Buy away pool. Baptista was absolutely woeful last season, even if he improves he'd still be a poor player. I would most definitely prefer Peter Crouch to him.

Baptista for me was a huge huge dissapointment, worse than Suker. I expected so much from him, especially after the summer before when real got him. Portsmouth game summed it all up, got a penalty and missed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

Cesc Fabregas has started scoring goals. This could be very good for arsenals premier league hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Great to see Eduardo off the mark too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

eduardo looked very lively tonight didnt he? great pace and a great assist for fabregas' goal too. Thought hoyte was quite dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Good goals. The fill-ins were far too sloppy though, I feel they missed their opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Jesus that performance was cat. 3-0 really flattered us. Diaby and Gilberto is not a good centre mid combo, you need one of them plus Fabregas/Denilson to be a balanced partnership.

The defense was seriously dodge at times, a better team than Sparta would've scored a few.

I hate to be pessimistic but we are in dire need of 2-3 new players, the squad is size 0 at the minute and I shudder at the thought of what will happen come African Nations Cup time with Kolo, Ade and Manu Eboué all off on their travels.

We look overly dependent on Fabs. hope he does'nt get injured.

• Advertisement

Arseanl were a team transformed once Fabregas and Adebayor came on. They link up well.
    3 goals for Fabregas so far this season. How many in total did he get last season? 4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Very disappointed in diaby. THought he would drive home is place on the team. Would have like to have seen Helb/Rosicky in the middle though.

jank wrote:
    Very disappointed in diaby. THought he would drive home is place on the team. Would have like to have seen Helb/Rosicky in the middle though.

+1, Diaby started ok, had some nice touches, but just fell asleep after that first goal went in.

and yeah, Hleb and Rosicky both look like they are best in the middle, dunno why Wenger doesn't start them there more often. one of them would probably be a better stand in than Diaby should Fabregas ever get injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Diaby and Febragas are the future for the Arsenal midfield, they just need time to work together as a partnership. There hasn't been too many games where they have been the central pair, but it will come in time. I can see where Wenger is going with this pair.

I'm not sure I can take much more of the pain of watching Walcott play. He looks hopelessly out of his depth in the team and it is so frustrating to watch him give away the ball time after time....

Thus concludes my bi-annual post in the soccer forum :)

robbie1876 wrote:
    Diaby and Febragas are the future for the Arsenal midfield, they just need time to work together as a partnership. There hasn't been too many games where they have been the central pair, but it will come in time. I can see where Wenger is going with this pair.

I'm not sure I can take much more of the pain of watching Walcott play. He looks hopelessly out of his depth in the team and it is so frustrating to watch him give away the ball time after time....

Thus concludes my bi-annual post in the soccer forum :)

I know, that seems to be Wenger's plan alright, it's just i can't remember seeing Diaby play where you'd actually come away thinking "he's damn good." watching him is always a bit of a let down, as i always go into games thinking will he finally show that prmosie?

as for Walcott, i know what ya mean, but at the same time it's games and experience that he needs. he shown he can do the business from time to time, like setting up the first goal, he just doesn't make the right decisions, like when to cross. i'm hoping in time and with games he'll start to show a bit of intelligence to match his ability.

see you in 2008 so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The goals were good last night and taken very well but the attitude from some of the players was disappointing. Toure looked like he was going to dish out some kickings at one stage he was so pissed off with the performance of his team-mates.

Cesc is showing more of a killer instinct this season which is great. Rosicky was very good last night as well, showed a fair bit of hunger (then again he was playing against his old team). Eduardo showed brief snippets of why Wenger signed him and took his goal very well (and that is the kind of striker we have been missing over the last few years).

The bad point from last night is if we were playing a team that could finish we would have lost the game, very sloppy in defense. If we play like that against one of the top tier European teams we will be receiving a severe spanking.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be too harsh on Diaby. That was his first game of the season and he's just returned from injury. Plus he was paired with Gilberto when hes much better off being paired with Fabregas or Denilson. His ability to mix it with the big boys compliments their skill (not that Fabregas can't mix as the likes of Alan Shearer, Patrick Vieira and Repka found out).

Dein solds his 14% share to some russian bloke, totally surprised and relieved he did'nt sell to kroenke.

He sold his shares and has become chairman of the holding company. Nothing to say he won't join forces with Kroenke in a hostile takeover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Arsenal v Sevilla - 19/09
    Steaua v Arsenal - 2/10
    Arsenal v Slavia - 23/10
    Slavia v Arsenal - 7/11
    Sevilla v Arsenal - 27/11
    Arsenal v Steaua - 12/12

Where are the dates of all the matches listed eirebhoy. Need to know the days for all the English clubs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement