Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bentley would be useful in the Arsenal squad right now. Stokes wouldn't be needed. Pennant is starting to look like he might actually be ok but you can't blame Arsenal for getting rid of him. He had behavioural problems & was never that great on the pitch.

It was pretty tough for young wingers to get in ahead of Pires & Ljungberg a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

i heard wengers interview where he was saying he didnt want lots of money and that he like getting the young players and working with them, ok fair enough. but then should he not just be a youth team coach!! no offence intended here at all, i like wenger,i begrudgingly like arsenal, always have.... but why would any manager say he doesnt want money! i mean as a manager surely you want everything you can get to strenghten your squad, use all facilitys available and utilise the financial success that you have helped bring to the club.

i think his policy on young players is starting to hurt arsenal, this is a big season for you in my opinion, you have started the season well, and i think it needs to continue or you should start asking questions about the set up. what happened to the team that went unbeaten all season? why were players from that sold that summer! same as when petit and overmars were sold after you had won a league....vital elements of the team seem to be sold after success, i dont understand it myself.

i think this arsenal team will be great in 5 years, but if i was an arsenal fan i would be questioning the transfer policy at this stage, and especially if there is no improvement this time round.to be a top club you need to have consistent success. you dont want to be the next blackburn anyway! winning the league then returning to mid table anonymity. i think the team has been in decline the last couple of years and something needs to change there, maybe with Henry leaving thats the change you needed. we will see at the end of the season i guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Overmars wanted out, and 32m for the 2 still is great money even now. I think the financial side is'nt as rosey as they pretend. They're not in huge debt, but i reckon they can't splash out either. buidling a stadium in london is'nt exactly the cheapest. i think his no buying excuse make sense, but i also reckon there's finance involved too.

with Kronky and the russian mafia looming to take over they have to keep a good appearance, any hint of problems and they'll swoop.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PDN wrote:
    The thing is that a 'promising' young English (or Irish) player is unlikely to be good enough to play for Arsenal. That's why the likes of Stokes & Bentley have to eventually go elsewhere to become Premiership players (although Hoyte & Walcott may prove me wrong!).
    That's true, although I think the standard of English players at the club is improving. Wenger has really changed the young structure at the club since he arrived; he's spoken a lot about how a player's early years are key to the development of their technical ability and a lot of the players coming through now and over the next few years will benefit from Arsenal's better youth training setup. Bentley was one who developed excellent techique there but there are more coming through like Lansbury who have been at Wenger's Arsenal since childhood and are very well developed technically for English players.

Though at the end of the day, England's footballing population accounts for only a very small percentage of the world total and as a logical result, they account for only a very small percentage of the world's most talented footballers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

buidling a stadium in london is'nt exactly the cheapest.

I heard somewhere that just getting the planning permission sorted for the Emirates Stadium cost more than the entire construction costs of Southampton's St. Mary's ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Galvasean wrote:
    I still remember Mourinho's taunt at Wenger after the Carling Cup final:
    "I wish i had five years to build a team without winning any championships"
    :rolleyes: Yes and I bet Wenger wouldn't mind unlimited transfer funds too.
    Wow don't remember hearing that. I never really liked that guy....new hairdo doesn't really help either:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Joeyjoejoe43

kryogen wrote:
    i think his policy on young players is starting to hurt arsenal

I disagree. I believe the cogs are finally falling into place and Arsenal's young players are stepping up to the plate. Hopefully this will be a big year for Arsenal, and even if its not I have faith in this team to win 2 premierships in the next 5 years and hopefully a champions league. Its a little bit like united 10 years ago when Ince, Kanchelkis and some other big guns left old trafford, there was a lot of negative talk, then the likes of Giggs, the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes, Butt all came through and if memory serves united won one or two trophies ;) So, my point is Wenger's faith in the young guys WILL pay of in the long run..

I disagree. I believe the cogs are finally falling into place and Arsenal's young players are stepping up to the plate. Hopefully this will be a big year for Arsenal, and even if its not I have faith in this team to win 2 premierships in the next 5 years and hopefully a champions league. Its a little bit like united 10 years ago when Ince, Kanchelkis and some other big guns left old trafford, there was a lot of negative talk, then the likes of Giggs, the Nevilles, Beckham, Scholes, Butt all came through and if memory serves united won one or two trophies ;) So, my point is Wenger's faith in the young guys WILL pay of in the long run..
    True, that's what Wenger said his plan was. Yeah by now you can see some similarities and in the near future hopefully there'll be more:)

i agree completely!! maybe i was misunderstood, but i have said in previous posts that i think the talent in the arsenal squad is immense and i think they could dominate in 3 years time! i was just saying that this is a big year for you lot, its a make or break for me, in that united team we had pallister and bruce still going, and schmeichel, robbo was still there,just about, mcclair,irwin,parker.... there was still plenty of experience in that squad, there was really only the 2 neville brothers, becks, and scholes, giggs had been in the team already! and butt didnt play a huge part in that team...

i think with henry leaving it leaves the door open fot these young and undoubtadly talented players to step up and show theyre worth, thats why i said this is going to be a big year for arsenal......

the myth that it was a youth team that did the double for united that year is just that, a myth! there was plenty of older heads there too, and this is something thats often forgotten... if it had just been the younger players then i dont think we would have won the league that season, and for me the same applies to arsenal, i think a blend of experience and youth is needed, maybe wenger will prove me wrong!

Arsenal have experienced players. Toure, Gallas and Gilberto have all won the premiership and even Fabregas has played over 100 games for Arsenal.

Lehmann's won it too :p

• Advertisement

Gangsta wrote:
    Arsenal have experienced players. Toure, Gallas and Gilberto have all won the premiership and even Fabregas has played over 100 games for Arsenal.

Lehmann's won it too :p

true too!! :D

as a united fan im actually more worried about arsenal then liverpool this season, if you guys can find the consistency needed then you will definatly be there or there abouts at the end of the season

The Pools looking more challenging than they have in a while. they finally bought the right combo.

I want to see us play a few more away games up north beefore i even hope of winning anything. We did the best against the top 4 last, it was our away form up north that really let us down. Normally we we'd be unlucky but last years we were just plain bad in some games. Also all depends how november goes always a disastrous month.

Did the best against the top 4 eh?

Arsenal Beat united twice, liverpool once, lost one(hammered), drew twice with them, 12 points out of 18.

the pool beat Asenal, lost, Beat them, lost one, lost twice to united 9 points.

United Beat pool X 2, lost to Arsenal X 2, drew twice with them, 8 points.

Them, drew twice with arsenal, twice with united, lost and won to the pool 7 points.

It was the opposite for ages we were almost guranteed to lose to united and the pool.

Sorry dude misread your post, thought you supported the pool!

Gangsta wrote:
    Sorry dude misread your post, thought you supported the pool!

forgiven just as long as did'nt accuse me of supporting 'them'.

lol *wipes nervous sweat off brow*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Saw that on the website earlier alright. Sure who knows, he's never been heard of by anyone but thats usually the way they are when they come to us!

After alliadere i'll hold off on a decision on how good he'll be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Wenger signs new 3 year deal, Arsenal's future is secure

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/6981442.stm

Wahay. All the Arsenal are doomed, mass exodus of players stories can finally stop now. Actually I'm sure the papers will find a new angle to start talking about how much Arsenal are screwed.

Wahay. All the Arsenal are doomed, mass exodus of players stories can finally stop now. Actually I'm sure the papers will find a new angle to start talking about how much Arsenal are screwed.
    I'm sure the tabloids are already penning how the Russian mafia are going to melt the Emirates down to scrap iron and sell it off.

The Fabregas-to-Spain-Summer-2008 stories have already begun.

Typical Arsenal.con, huge announcment and the site goes down. Great news but can't see anything official yet.

The Fabregas-to-Spain-Summer-2008 stories have already begun.
    *sigh* He's not leaving!
    He had the chance to leave last season but said no. Why would he leave now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

tbh i reckon he probably will leave at some stage, in the same way that Rafa will someday manage Real and Alonso will probably go to Barcalona at some point, even young Christiano Ronaldo will no doubt be playing for Real within the next three years......

just my opinion anyway

yeah he will leave in a few years, but no madrid, he'll go to Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,402 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Unless Barcelona sell Iniesta, they don't need to spend big (and it would need a big transfer fee) on Fabregas imo - they are very similar. Fabregas' 8 year contract will keep his potential transfer fee massively high for the next 5 years at least.

• Advertisement

yeah he will leave in a few years, but no madrid, he'll go to Barca.
    After the way they treated him when he was a rookie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭maxi-twist

how did they treat him as a rookie?

They wouldn't let him play playstation

They weren't too bothered with him and focused their attentions on Messi or something to that extent I think.

They wouldn't let him play with players over the age of 15, nearly hampered his development until Wenger came along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Galvasean wrote:
    They wouldn't let him play with players over the age of 15, nearly hampered his development until Wenger came along.

i read somewhere's too that they were also were trying to turn him into a defensive midfielder :confused:

anyway, the moral of the story is that he wouldn't be half as good as he is now if his development continued at Barca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Whats with Dein coming out with those comments before the England game. Thats was uncalled for I thought.

Sh1t stirring I would call it. What do you guys think ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

What did he say?

He's been sh1tting on (again) about Arsene signing the new contract thanks to him and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

He also said that Wegner "When I left his(Wegner) future was very much in the balance,"

Kike why did he need to mention that. That sounds like he is being childish.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2716415,00.html

Two goals for Eduardo yesterday and one for Rosicky

• Advertisement

When I left his future was very much in the balance. He said to me at the time that he wasn’t sure if he wanted to stay on. We had a chat and I thought it was important that he should stay on for the future of the club.

Hail the great Dein, he was the reason Arsene stayed. I still think he's doing what he thinks is best for the club(what he thinks not everyone else, everyone else is against a drug\weapons dealer taking iover), but shut up already Dein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

While Dein + whatever billionaire (preferabably the American Kroenke) might bring a bit to the show, I'm acutally proud at the moment that we're the only top 4 side that hasn't been beqeathed billions by some sugar daddy.

In Wenger we trust.

The Wool Shed on Parnell Street is showing the NLD on Saturday afternoon. I think I'll watch it there instead of on some grainy stop-start internet stream. Anyone care to join me?

If someone can suggest a Gooner only pub in Dublin that'd be showing it (as the Wool Shed will be showing the Liverpool game at the same time) i'd be all ears.

I'll take that as a no then!

Gallas out for the NLD, Sagna available. Gilberto at CB and Diarra to make his debut in central midfield?

It'll be interesting to see what team he selects but I'm gutted that Gallas is unavailable. Only underlines what a stupid blunder Senderos made in getting himself sent off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Or what a stupid blunder it was to buy no cover before the window closed. Gilberto was on Brazil duty this week so he's bound to be a little fatigued. Would be interested to see if Diarra plays. I'd join you for the game but I'm away this weekend! Think we'll get a result?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

know anywhere in cork that will show this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

jank wrote:
    know anywhere in cork that will show this game?

If its on TV, the Quad will probably have it on one of the smaller TV's with the Liverpool match on the big one. The Quad is on the sidestreet (next to the peace park) by the fountain on Grand Parade.

Possibly better chance of it being on in the Gallows, they have sky as well as a foreign satalite thing so might get it. For the Gallows, go straight up Barrack St for about 5-10mins till you reach the traffic lights. Its the first building on your right after the lights.

Worth ringing ahead though, both will definately be showing Liverpool anyway. Gallows in particular will change it on one TV if you ask for it (if they can get it!) and will be pretty quiet in there at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The Wool Shed on Parnell Street is showing the NLD on Saturday afternoon. I think I'll watch it there instead of on some grainy stop-start internet stream. Anyone care to join me?

If someone can suggest a Gooner only pub in Dublin that'd be showing it (as the Wool Shed will be showing the Liverpool game at the same time) i'd be all ears.

Saw that on arseblog. Probably going to go. The only worry I have is that it's an Australlia/Kiwi pub and they kick off in the RWC at 12 and 2. Arsenal at 1:30.

Gonna bring my spurs supporting mate so we can all take turns abusing him when we win.

I'll be up for some pub watching when I start college in October Pepe:)
    Really looking forward to this game, hope to get tickets for the Emirates one in decemeber too.

Losing one nil :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement