Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

only got a stream to work in time for the highlights but jaysus apart from their goal the only real chances seemed to be Arsenal's. could have had 3 or 4 already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

ADEBAYOR!!!!!!

1-1
    Fabregas with the assist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

What a goal by adebayor!:eek:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Absolute belter.

Delighted, fantastic result. Derby at home next weekend, a win there would see us increase the gap on Chelsea or United, or both.

I wonder what ****ing Hansen will say on MOTD tonight?

"I still think they'll struggle up north on the wet nights in November."
    "Tottenham gave them too much space."
    "Tottenham were terrible."

Maybe he'll just sit there silently and let Lawro and Shearer talk about us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Hansen & co. still went on about how Spurs should have won. Completely ignored all the Arsenal chances from the 1st half.

Hot piss that was a good goal by Adebayor. Kind of frustrating that he can do that and then miss the target from 6 yards.

hurrah for fabregas! 32 points today in the fantasy league!!! wonder what are the odds on him becoming the top scoring midfielder this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

best goal of the season so far today, real peach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Hansen & co. still went on about how Spurs should have won. Completely ignored all the Arsenal chances from the 1st half.

etween MOTD and Mihir bose, i think the BBC really have it in for us. Hansen never liked us, must be still sore over 89.

as for the match Ade should have been shot in the 1st half, thank god he was'nt. Missed a few sitters, diaby was very close too. always great to beat spuds, i never reaslly minded them until the year we went unbeaten and they started celelbrating keanes peno when they thought they'd stopped us winning the lague that day, always relish beating them now.

I thought Ade was great apart from missing the sitter. He causes the opposing centrebacks so many problems, contesting aerial balls, running in behind, drifting out wide and working the channels and linking up play with midfield. The chance he made for Hleb was terrific.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Delighted with the result and performance.

Can't believe spurs spent so much on strikers and still miss those chances though.

I thought Ade was great apart from missing the sitter. He causes the opposing centrebacks so many problems, contesting aerial balls, running in behind, drifting out wide and working the channels and linking up play with midfield. The chance he made for Hleb was terrific.

yeah from what i saw he's improved a bit as a player this season. maybe he was another held back in the shadow of henry, as he worked well and seemed more effective yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

The Arsenal TV channel is planned to launch in December 2007 and will become the tenth channel available on Setanta’s satellite sports package.

The channel will be included in the Setanta Sports pack at no extra charge. On cable, the channel will be available as part of the Setanta Sports pack via Virgin Media.

The deal includes sponsorship and marketing rights, access to players, intellectual property including trademarks as well as in-stadia media.

“Arsenal TV will provide the Club with a powerful way of communicating with our fans,” said Keith Edelman, managing director, Arsenal FC. “For the first time supporters will really be able to see behind the scenes at Emirates Stadium. We are aiming to provide quality programming that is not only informative but also reflects the exciting brand of football we play on the pitch.”

Under the terms of the deal, Setanta will receive all subscription revenues but Arsenal will retain all gross receipts from any sponsorship and advertising on the Arsenal channel.

Input Media has been appointed by Arsenal to produce the content for the new channel.

Link Here

Happy seeing as I already have the Setanta Sports package on satellite.

Aaagghh i'm going to kill someone, both sky and RTE showing the united game. too late now, but who had the Arsenal game, oh and way to go cescy.

The Arsenal game is on sky sports xtra. Almost over now. 2-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Finished 3-0 to the Arsenal, Eduardo with the goal at the end, great result for us.

Some of the goals available to download here:

http://arsenalist.com/2007/09/19/arsenal-vs-sevilla-highlights-champions-league/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Had to watch it on Setanta 1. Did anyone hear the ****e Dolan was coming out with after the game. Arsenal weren't so much dominat, but Seville were ****. Andy Townsend was having none of it and said that the reason Seville were crap was because of the Arsenal dominance. Dolan is bollocks as a pundit.

I'd agree with Dolan to some extent actually. Sevilla offered nothing. Arsenal played well enough but nowhere near their best. Too many mistakes at the back (Please fúck off Senderos), and didn't really get in behind the Sevilla back line all that often. Van Persie looked fairly quiet apart his goal, and has done for a few games now. But as a team they're playing very well at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Good performance, worried about Senderos though, he never looks confident. Sagna class again, great signing. Best possible start.

Keep forgettin about Skysp xtra, got it from 70 mins on. Just saw the highlights on RTE and uhoh Dunphy supports us now, so used to him bashing us. good game anyway God said it right on RTE the scoreline flattered us. We deserved to win but not 3-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Still flatter us or not that's a great result and sets us up nicely for the group. And hey, who cares when you're winning? :D

Oh and an issue of major proportions, who the hell is going to fill in for Toure come African nations cup time? Senderos? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

cson wrote:
    Oh and an issue of major proportions, who the hell is going to fill in for Toure come African nations cup time? Senderos? :rolleyes:

Djorou's back in January.

I was always optimistic but with Mourhino gone I now firmly believe that this league is Arsenal's for the winning.

Man U aren't playing great, Liverpool are doing well but will most likely stutter once or twice.

Arsenal are bang in form!

COOOMMMMMEEEEEE OOOONNNN!!!!!!!

It's September.

Get a hold of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

gosplan wrote:
    I was always optimistic but with Mourhino gone I now firmly believe that this league is Arsenal's for the winning.

Man U aren't playing great, Liverpool are doing well but will most likely stutter once or twice.

Arsenal are bang in form!

COOOMMMMMEEEEEE OOOONNNN!!!!!!!

Long, long way to go. It's only September, most of our games have been at home, no injuries and the African cup is still to come plus there will be the usual congestion of tough games once we hopefully progress in the cups which won't help what I would consider a thinnish squad.

It's September.

Get a hold of yourself.

No, I refuse to. :D

I'm not saying we're going to win, it's just now I really and truly believe that we can.

You realise if we finish outside the top 4, we're blaming you and will come looking for ya.

Just looking at our fixtures, our next four games are against Derby (H), West Ham (A), Sunderland (H) and Bolton (H). All four are very winnable, but I don't see us taking 12 points. Derby, Sunderland and Bolton are all likely to approach the game the same way - park the bus, press, and get physical. I'd expect us take at least 7 points from those games though; all three sides are very poor (Little Sam is no Big Sam) and the large pitch of Emirates should make it difficult for them to get at us.

West Ham will be a tricky one, they're playing better this season and they doubled us last season, and beat us at Highbury the season before that.

Man United are playing Chelsea this weekend and Liverpool travel to Everton before we go to Anfield on Oct 28, so if we get good results in these 'small' games, we could put ourselves in a very strong position. Last season there would have been slip-ups in these games; let's see if they happen now.

if we get good results in these 'small' games, we could put ourselves in a very strong position.

You mean we're going to win the league :eek: :eek: :eek:

My God. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from Pepe.

Going to win the leeaggguueee...we're going to win the lllleeeeaaagggguuuueee.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Quick, someone send me a still photo from Airplane!

(Specifically the part where they are queueing up to assault the hysterical woman)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Happy Days!

I keep logging onto the Skysports website and looking at the League Table. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gosplan wrote:
    You mean we're going to win the league :eek: :eek: :eek:

My God. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't heard it from Pepe.

Going to win the leeaggguueee...we're going to win the lllleeeeaaagggguuuueee.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Who cares if Utd get their **** together and pool and chelsea rule themselves out its back to proper attacking football wins ****.

Oh please god let it go that way.

kdjac

going mad, debated between Ade and RVP for my fantasy footy last night, guess who i picked. good win none the less. going for a united chelsea draw tomorro.

Christ, I knew the money situation was good but never realised quite how good it was...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2175876,00.html

Hopefully this will keep all that takeover stuff at bay for a while. Anyone with shares in Arsenal is probably happier with the state of things than they've ever been. Of course there's profit to consider but surely you wouldn't want to up and sell now?

Top of the league, richest club in England(nearly in Europe), playing great football. Spurs are sucking. What's not to like?

In other news, I actually felt sorry for Chelsea yesterday. Ref decisions aside, you could see a drop in effort from Mourhino's games. I imagine they're going to get progressivly worse as time goes by, slowly un-learning all that the special one had taught them. It'll all land with a crash when they lose their first home game in a few years and Roman realises that he actually knows very little about managing a football club.

Y'know, initially I thought that it would all end in tears. No way can someone just pump money into a club and have it work. You need some form of football culture to back it up. You have to build, not merly assemble like lego.
    Then for a while I thought that Roman and Chelsea might actually make it. He was doing the correct thing by sitting back, staying out of the public eye and letting the management manage.
    Then he got bored and now Chelsea are screwed. Right now if I was a Chelsea fan, I'd be very pleased with a fourth place come June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That report is from the year Arsenal got to the CL final no?

PHB wrote:
    That report is from the year Arsenal got to the CL final no?

It's from this morning.

and......

"We had over £70million of cash at the end of the year and if Arsene wants to spend that money we will make it available."

We'll take Essien thanks. :D:D:D

The report is for the year ending May 31st 2007, i.e. last season.

The figures also showed that Arsenal's operating profits before player trading and exceptional items was £51.2m, up from £13.7m the previous year.

Awesome.

Despite apparently having £70 million avalible to spend, I don't think Wenger would do it. He has in all fairness quite a poor record spending large sums, think Jeffers, Van Bronckhorst, Wright and most recently Reyes. I think he prefers buying young raw talent and honing it into something special a lá Fabregas.

He has in all fairness quite a poor record spending large sums

Henry.

• Advertisement

cson wrote:
    Despite apparently having £70 million avalible to spend, I don't think Wenger would do it. He has in all fairness quite a poor record spending large sums, think Jeffers, Van Bronckhorst, Wright and most recently Reyes. I think he prefers buying young raw talent and honing it into something special a lá Fabregas.

I agree to an extent but you're talking about £10 million players and realistically he's never spent large sums when compared to Chelsea or Man U.

You can get a player really cheap and young.....Fabregas(nominal)
    or somewhat proven and slightly more expensive...Reyes, Henry(circa £10m)
    or proven 'walk into any squad' players...Essien, Torres, (£20m+)

No doubt Wenger will do things his way, and it'll prove to be the right way but I do think there's been a couple of deals that Arsenal have been beaten to by

A: price
    B: competition from a bigger club

Both of these seem to be on the way out.

Exactly, like I'm sure Wenger would have like to been able to compete for the Rooneys and the Torres of this world, hell personally I think Torres playing for Arsenal would be an awesome sight, but he hasn't been able to. If you couple his ability to get young talents with the financial backing he could have an amazing team. That said, I still don't think the Arsenal board want to give him money to invest in new players, because why would they? He is doing pretty good on the squad he has assembled for the price of Rooney isn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Moneybags! :mad: :)

Liverpool better get that stadium built pronto or The Gunners will be unbeatable.

Mike.

I really can't understand this to be honest, I assume, and this is just an assumption, that they are including the sale of the Arsenal flats into this turnover, in order to create a bit of anti-Dein feeling. I can't see exactly where they are getting the money from.

Difficult to understand, but afaik they expected the premium tickets to generate as much revenue as the general tickets. Maybe it factors in the €100 million Emirates paid for the naming rights and shirt sponsorship?

PHB, fair enough Henry was a success as one of Wengers more expensive buys but overall imo he's not spent large sums well. I do take the point that Arsenal have been probably beaten off certain players due to interest from Chelsea/Man Utd/Liverpool.

Wiki
    The upper (26,646) and lower (24,425) tiers of the stadium are standard seating. For the 2006-07 season, ticket prices for an adult range between £32 and £66 for most matches, but as cheap as £13 for juniors. (designated "Category B"), with the price rising for "Category A" matches against certain top sides to between £46 and £94. Season ticket prices for 2006-07 ranged between £885 and £1,825.

The main middle tier, known as the "Club Level", is premium priced and also includes the director's box. There are 7,139 seats at this level, which are sold on licences lasting from one to four years. The cost of club tier seats for 2006–07 ranges from £2,500 to £4,750 per season and covers admission to all home league games and any home games Arsenal play in the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup. These were sold out by May 2006.

Immediately above the club tier there is a small tier consisting of 150 boxes of 10, 12 and 15 seats. The total number of spectators at this level is 2,222. Box prices start at £65,000 per annum plus VAT, and covers admission to all home league games and any home games Arsenal play in the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and Carling Cup.The most exclusive area in the stadium is known as the "Diamond Club" which is invite only and costs £25,000 up front plus £25,000 a year. Tickets here include use of a private lounge, a complimentary restaurant and bar, valet parking and concierge service. Members will also have the option of travelling to European away games on the players' aeroplane.

Due to the high demand for tickets and the relative wealth of their London fanbase, Arsenal expect the revenue from their premium seating and corporate boxes to be nearly as much as the revenue from the entire stadium at Highbury.

Every home game generates approx 4 million pounds.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

mike65 wrote:
    Wiki

Every home game generates approx 4 million pounds.

Mike.

I'd read 3 million, but either way, thats some revenue.

On the point of Wenger spending big? Jeffers was not a "high price player", even at the time and I don't think Reyes was a flop either, the player didn't adjust to living in the UK, which to be fair, isn't something anyone could really predict. When Reyes was playing and happy, he was exceptional.

You'd have to add in television and other ancillery revenues such as stadium advertising etc and divide it out per game to get about 4 million I think. (its figure I heard - could'nt be arsed to do any sums!).

Mike.

Yeah Reyes was'nt a success but he was'nt a failure either. Listening to gillette soccer saturday the other day and they were hyping up Jeffers at sheffield wednesday(no offense to wednesday fans). I want to see him buy someone but then again i don't want that person to jeopardise someone elses place in the team, ie a winger compromses Theo, a forward bendtner or Ade, a midfielder and diaby or diarra.

Imo a winger wouldn't really compromise Theo, we only have 3 as it is - Theo, Rosicky and Hleb, I'd have loved for him to have bought Malouda at the time, or even Babel.

I think a winger and a centre half would set us up nicely for the season. Touchwood Fabregas stays fit too, he's immensely important to the title challenge.

PHB wrote:
    Exactly, like I'm sure Wenger would have like to been able to compete for the Rooneys and the Torres of this world, hell personally I think Torres playing for Arsenal would be an awesome sight, but he hasn't been able to. If you couple his ability to get young talents with the financial backing he could have an amazing team. That said, I still don't think the Arsenal board want to give him money to invest in new players, because why would they? He is doing pretty good on the squad he has assembled for the price of Rooney isn't he?
    Indeed, better off just spending some of the cash coming in on youth development facilities and scouting networks and invest the rest outside of football. One day Wenger will be gone and we'll have a manager who won't be so adept at finding gems in the rough... having a giant warchest will be useful then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement