Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think 1-0 to Arsenal. Sunderland wont offer much going forward, but they'll be steadfast and resiliant in defence. Keane might have them an extra little bit fired up for this one as well ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

3-2 to Sunderland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i think a score draw, maybe 1 - 1 is on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I have a real feeling a shock is on the cards tommorrow. Probably just the Keane factor clouding my judgement though.

0-1 Sunderland or score draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

4-1 Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Nunu wrote:
    I have a real feeling a shock is on the cards tommorrow. Probably just the Keane factor clouding my judgement though.

0-1 Sunderland or score draw.

2-0 to Arsenal.

I agree the Keane factor might play a part though, so make that 2-0 to Arsenal with Sunderland having two men sent off for dirty tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'm going for 4-0 to Arsenal :) I think the Sunderland defense is very weak now without Anderson.

Looking like I'm going to be right :)

I can't help but feel weird. Like I want Arsenal to lose so United can go top, but at the same time, I can't help but cheer them on cause of how they play. It's a funny situation :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Did someone get sent off?

edit: nvm booking

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

2-0 Senderos :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

game over after 13 mins 2-0

Arsenal are playing some fantastic football this season

God saying that hurt my UTD heart.

It looks like I'm gona be wrong the way it's going :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Should have been 3-0 there, terrible offside decsion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

ROCKMAN wrote:
    game over after 13 mins 2-0

Arsenal are playing some fantastic football this season

God saying that hurt my UTD heart.

2-2

YOU MUPPET, just stay quiet in future...:D :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Royale, hope your prediction does not come to fruition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

God damn you van Persie :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

DaveMcG wrote:
    God damn you van Persie :mad:
    God bless him! He is my captain in my FF team! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

God bless him! He is my captain in my FF team! :D

i know, switched from Fabs to RVP 11:00 saturday morning. fair play to sunderland gave us a good game.

Arsenal werent firing on all cylinders today. Maybe a little lucky to get the breakthrough in the end. Sunderland tho to their credit were very good. i suppose the significant thing is, if you were to rewind the clock back 12 months and ask yourself how would arsenal cope in this type of game when questions were being asked, and the main thing is they grinded out a win against a team who set their stall out to keep it tight from the beginning. K Jones for them looks a good player, a sort of Adebayor clone in terms of physique. Technically not that bad either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

the significant thing is, if you were to rewind the clock back 12 months and ask yourself how would arsenal cope in this type of game when questions were being asked,
    Quoted for great truth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Taken from F365:

Arsenal are set to offer goalkeeper Rune Almenning Jarsteina a trial at the Emirates Stadium, according to reports in Norway.

Almenning Jarsteina has been in impressive form for Odd Grenland this season and his displays earned him a call-up to the Norway national side to face Argentina.

And the 23-year-old admits a move to the Gunners would be too good to turn down, though currently he is focused on helping his club avoid relegation.

"They have seen me before and of course I want to go. Without doubt" he told Varden.no.

"Anyway, I have to concentrate on Odd Grenland first, then other offers. Arsenal is a great club and they play fantastic football.

"Of course I would say yes if they offer me a trial when the season here is over."

Is this basically saying a Janurary bye bye to mad Jens?

Wish they'd buy someone more established and possibly english. would love to see them spend big on Green.

Yeah no more obscure youngish players. They need an established reliable keeper. The one position on the pitch you probably can't afford to use young unproven players as your first choice in. Even a keeper like Rob Green (not that's he's crap, just not world class) would make a huge difference. I'm fed up of seeing goals conceded because of Jens/Almunia.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

lol, you'd rather have Robert Green instead of Lehmann?

At the moment i'd rather Helen Keller instead of lehman.

Who needs enemies eh?

Personally, I wouldn't give up on the European Goalkeeper of the Year after 2 howlers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Personally, I wouldn't give up on the European Goalkeeper of the Year after 2 howlers.

neither would I tbh.

but if another keeper were on the cards, what do people make of Given? he's some who might well be available come January at the rate things are going for him under Allardyce.

He's made a few clangers this season too.

I can't see how people would rate Green over Lehmann, crazy stuff.

Lehmann's career is almost over. He had one great season but apart from that at Arsenal he's been a solid keeper prone to making stupid mistakes. You won't see many goals conceded where you think Lehmann could have done better, just goals that are 100% his fault... and goals that he couldn't have done anything about obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Micah Richards is interviewed in the latest issue of Nuts and says that he was a boyhood Arsenal fan, and that if they ever came in for him, he'd go to them.....think yous would be interested?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would be a very good addition but would cost **** loads

What jank said, before thaksin took over we might've had a chance and has'nt he signed or is close to signing a new deal. Plus the fact that he's english will add another couple of million to his transfer fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Lots of Arsenal games on tv this December :)
    Please see amendments to December’s fixtures due to TV coverage:

Saturday 1st December 2007
    Aston Villa v Arsenal
    Villa Park
    Kick Off 5.15pm
    Live on Setanta Sports

Wednesday 5th December 2007
    Newcastle United v Arsenal
    St James’ Park
    Kick Off 7.45pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Sunday 9th December 2007
    Middlesbrough v Arsenal
    Riverside Stadium
    Kick Off 1.30pm
    Live on Setanta Sports

Sunday 16th December 2007
    Arsenal v Chelsea
    Emirates Stadium
    Kick Off 4pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Saturday 22nd December 2007
    Arsenal v Tottenham Hotspur
    Emirates Stadium
    Kick Off 12.45pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Wednesday 26th December 2007
    Portsmouth v Arsenal
    Fratton Park
    Kick Off 7.45pm
    Live on SKY Sports

Saturday 29th December 2007
    Everton v Arsenal
    Goodison Park
    Kick Off 5.15pm
    Live on Setanta Sports

Makes a change considering we've been on very little so far.

They'd us written off as soon as Henry left, before even, hense the shocking coverage we've had so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Out of interest does anyone know the percentage of premiership support in Ireland?

i.e. How does Man U and Liverpool compare to Arsenal?

I assume we are a tiny percentage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Based on the amount of jerseys floating around here in Dundalk support for us seems pretty high.

Lehmann played pretty well for Germany today. Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Galvasean wrote: »
    Based on the amount of jerseys floating around here in Dundalk support for us seems pretty high.

Apart from the mad dash out of his goal in the second half. Very solid under the high ball, contrast to watching Almunia punch everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

Galvasean wrote: »
    The man himself, never shy of a word, is also just sayin'...
    BBC Sport wrote:
    Lehmann banks on Arsenal recall

Lehmann claims injury is the reason he has not been playing for Arsenal
    Keeper Jens Lehmann expects to return to the Arsenal team for the Premier League game against Bolton on Saturday.
    The 37-year-old's mistake in his last Arsenal appearance on 19 August led to a Blackburn equaliser and he has not played the last 10 games in goal.

He played for Germany in the draw with the Republic of Ireland on Saturday and claims his absence for the Gunners was an injury and not a selection issue.

"I am fully fit and expect to be back against Bolton," said Lehmann.

"Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has not told me anything but I am here now and I expect him to play me, so no worries."

Manuel Almunia has played in nine of the last 10 games for the Gunners, with Lukasz Fabianski featuring in the Carling Cup win over Newcastle.

Lehmann aggravated an Achilles tendon problem when on international duty for Germany in August but has since has treatment for an elbow problem.

He stated: "This has been the first time that I have been injured since I was at Arsenal but sometimes the body takes a break."

Lehmann was in superb form for Germany as they held the Republic of Ireland to a goalless draw in Dublin.

But the keeper was booked for time wasting and is consequently suspended for Wednesday's match against the Czech Republic in Munich.

Lehmann let a shot from David Dunn slip through his fingers for Blackburn's equaliser in his last appearance for Arsenal.

The keeper played for Germany against England at Wembley three days later but aggravated an Achilles injury during his team's 2-1 victory.

He played for his national team against Wales on 8 September but Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger continued to select Almunia.

Personally, I think Arsene will stick with Almunia - there's been an unfamiliar amount of clean sheets recently and while he can be prone to the odd Lehmann-esque shocker, he's yet to drop an absolute clanger (or at least yet to get punished for one :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

He's also not as easily aggravated as mad Jens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Nice to see Almunia get a go, excellent shot stopper and he has great anticipation although having said that against the tiny tots he had Toure to thank that time when Berbatov went through on goal. What a piece of defending.

Richards is ment to have turned down the most recent contract offer, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

But what first choice back four would Wenger have if he buys Richards? I've been delighted with Sagna, I think Toure and Clichy are two of the best defenders in the league so it's only really Gallas that'd be at risk... but he's our new captain for the season (fitness depending, obviously).

Richards is young, incredibly fit and has fairly solid England prospects (most immediately at right-back) so no doubt he'd feel justified in wanting to play every game and avoid a Shaun Wright-Phillips scenario... I'm not sure Arsenal can guarantee him that at this stage so I'm not sure it'll happen

Feck was going to say at RB, but then you said sagna, who's really impressed so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

It would be next summer if Richards was to come, and Gallas would be 31 then I think
    So I would have no problem in selling Gallas to another club (non premiership of course) to make a few bob
    Make Toure captain and have a centreback pairing of Toure and Richards
    That would be sweet

I think Richards would come in as 3rd choice CB, and then begin to take over from Gallas as he gets older. He'll need a bit of training, as if you watch him, his pace makes up for his suspect positional sense. I'm pretty sure Wenger can train that into him, and then he could be as good as Rio in time.

It's hilarious to think that apparently Jose had a deal tied up for 5 million for him, but Grant et al didn't think it was worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Would be great to see him at CB with Kolo. Gallas has yet to prove his worth at Arsenal and appears to be made of glass. I'd have no quams putting Richards ahead of a fit Gallas.

I'd say he's be looking for a massive contract but would be a valuable addition to the back 4.

I've seen little recently to suggest that Richards will be leaving Man City any time soon. Why would he?

Furthermore, I don't think he's really what Arsenal need. He is the same mould as Gallas and Toure and probably wouldn't make a great partner for either of them - Gallas and Toure don't seem to be a great pairing either, as they have the same strengths and more importantly, the same weaknesses. He would make a great central midfield partner for Cesc but with Flamini in such excellent form and Diarra looking like another gem, there is no need for him there, while Sagna has been a revelation at right-back, so that avenue looks closed off too.

Arsenal need another centre-back, either from outside or from within, but it needs to be a 'number 6', the type of centre-back who reads the game well and is dominant in the air. That was meant to be Senderos, but he doesn't seem to be able to iron out the kinks in his game. I think Wenger may just make do with Gallas and Senderos until he can bring a young player through (Nordveit possibly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

We need a Vidic of some sort.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement