Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

God, Fergies really gone ultra-demented this time around.

Anyone see the 'foul' on Saha that led to us 'lumping it into the box' for the second goal or whatever he said.

It went something like Arsenal win free kick in the Saha incident, ball goes down the other end and out for a goalkick, VDS kicks it back to the Arsenal end and eventually it goes out on the halfway line for a throw. Arsenal lose posession to utd and THEN Clichy get's it back, rounds Ronaldo and crosses in.

Something like a full 2 minutes and 4 exchanges of posession later.

Obviously managers, like fans can be very one sided but they were really stretching it this time.

Van Der Sar showed zero class as well. How coudl he not know he was a full yard behind the goal line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

gosplan wrote: »
    Van Der Sar showed zero class as well. How coudl he not know he was a full yard behind the goal line.
    In fairness, I wouldn't expect him to admit it - I'd be f***in livid if Almunia/Lehmann got away with saving a legitimate equaliser in injury time against united and owned up...

as for the 'saha foul', it's ridiculous... i think we can thank graham poll for making Howard Webb's refereeing an issue and giving fergie a ready-made excuse before the game had even started :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Demento lost the plot this time. first half i thought the ref gave the benefit of the doubt to utd a few times(never mind brown on clichy, twas fair), he was fair in the 2nd. lets not forget hleb was taken down by vidic, vidic was lucky. As for the fans being abusive i was shokced by that alrite, always thought they were well behaved and throw praise at away managers.

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    In fairness, I wouldn't expect him to admit it - I'd be f***in livid if Almunia/Lehmann got away with saving a legitimate equaliser in injury time against united and owned up...

Don't give a crap about owning up but following the ref and assistant and berating them after the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    BTW how much is he worth, If my price is so wrong ??

Buffon? Well he's currently the best or 2nd best goalie in the world. He's incredibly consistant, almost never makes a mistake, and makes incredible saves all the time. He cost Juve 32 million euro. He is now 29. Has another 5 years in him at least. I'd say about 30 million pounds and you might maybe possibly maybe get Juve to consider it, maybe.

Anyone see the 'foul' on Saha that led to us 'lumping it into the box' for the second goal or whatever he said.

To be honest, I dont think he really believed that though. That's more to do with trying to get refs to stop giving fouls on Saha. Everytime he comes on he keeps giving away frees when they really aren't. Fergie's just trying to influence the refs to favour Saha a bit more, and the best way to do that is to point out a mistaken foul not given on him when influenced the game.

Don't give a crap about owning up but following the ref and assistant and berating them after the game.
    ah, fair enough... although until Wenger ships Eboue out the door after Lauren, I'm gonna reserve judgment on that kind of behaviour :)

Actually speaking of Eboue, did sagna bang his wife or something. 2 or 3 times, Sagna was clear through out on the wings, and he passed the ball to hleb or to the middle and the ball was lost within 5 seconds. Eboue is a grade A **** but if he can get that out of his game and stop making stupid passes, i think he has great potential.

yeah, theo did something similar when sagna was outside him in acres too - strange for such a legend player... must be his hair :p

Speaking of which did you see Sagna pointing behind him as if saying watch here, theo stood there and then Evra took off(to where sagna was pointing) and you know the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

yeah, theo did something similar when sagna was outside him in acres too - strange for such a legend player... must be his hair :p

How exactly is Sagna a legend?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Archimedes wrote: »
    How exactly is Sagna a legend?
    Too many reasons to mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Dont get me wrong, Ive been impressed with him so far. Looks liek another solid buy from Wenger, I just didnt realise he had a cult status at Arsenal yet....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Its his hair that wins it for me. Dunno how he managed to stick the end of a mop to his head, let alone keep it on for a whole 90 minute football match!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

He's settled in so well too. Looks like he's bee playing there for years. His tackle to square the ball for Cesc on Saturday will only add to his status.

I find it amusing that he wears hair extensions, it is so out of whack with the rest of his character (on the pitch, anyway).

He also likes to exact revenge on Tottenham players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

While I wouldn't expect him to own up (unlike that time Robbie Fowler argued with the ref because he didn't want a penalty - it still got given though), you'd expect him to have the decency not to chase the referee screaming that the ball didn't cross the line when he knew full well it did.

Which would suggest that he didn't realise it. That said, I never understood why people complained about things after the game. I guess it's to try and influence them the next time they meet

keano_afc wrote: »
    He's settled in so well
    That's pretty much it for me. It's this kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dKOeQ434Yw
    Galvasean wrote:
    you'd expect him to have the decency not to chase the referee screaming that the ball didn't cross the line when he knew full well it did
    Possibly - I reckon he knew alright but like I said, I'm not gonna judge someone else too harshly while someone like Eboue (who I like as a footballer) does similarly...

• Advertisement

Rosicky out with a groin strain... again. I guess now we know why Wenger let Aliadiere go... they needed the room on the treatment table.

It'll be interesting to see what team Arsene puts out tomorrow. I reckon something along the lines of Almunia, Clichy, Gilberto, Gallas, Sagna, Diaby, Denilson, Diarra, Walcott, Eduardo, Adebayor. Perhaps Song or Hoyte at CB and Gilberto in midfield.

This dossier of abuse is beginning to annoy me, because i remember being at OT and hearing Wenger ****s Children being sung and from what i heard from others it was not the first time. Seriously he's going to cause a Riot at the OT. I forgot how much i disliked the guy because we were sh1te the past 3 years and not within his radar.

It doesn't bother me, it just shows that Ferguson sees Arsenal as a threat now. Shag all from him for yonks and then three stories about us in as many days.

exactly - my boss is an arsenal fan too and we were both delighted when fergie started bitching the other day... last time he gave a flying **** about arsenal was when they prevented 50 matches unbeaten at OT.

Vidic has said that arsenal doubling them last season didn't really bother them (and you can see why not)

as for team tonight, I think we might see Gilberto in the centre mid with Denilson, Diarra at RB and Sagna at centre back

Love Fergies comments on Arsenal celebrating as if they'd won the world cup.

Straight after the match he abuses the ref, the supporters, and Arsenal. Then we get three days of how Utd were better and restricted Arsenal's chances and so on.

I mean they've been going on about it as if they lost the....oh wait!!

I think he's trying to make up for being off our radars for 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Maybe Fergie realized he's barely mentioned us in three years and is making up for lost time?

Reading tonight, Cesc and Hleb are back. Its on TV too (Santy Ireland) its around our 6th/5th consecutive televised game! Cesc @ 13/2 to score the first goal strikes me as a particularly good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Thought it was on Setanta Sports 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Should I bet the house on Arse winning this?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

mike65 wrote: »
    Should I bet the house on Arse winning this?

Mike.

For some reason I'd say hold off. 8/15 isn't good value for an away fixture on a Monday night. Remember all the 5.15 kick offs last season? Disaster for the gunners.

Looks like Eduardo will start up top with Ade. Will be interested to see how he gets on.

Come on you Gooners!

• Advertisement

Is the right answer I suspect. Must check when Bolton at home is!

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Must check when Bolton at home is!

Mike.

Fook Bolton. Wigan at home in two weeks! Lump on -2 handicap!

Like I pointed out earlier Mike, the boy wonder Cesc isn't a bad punt @ 13/2 for 1st goalscorer if you simply must bet the house on something!

Nah I'm not that brave but Wigan at -2 sounds exellent :)

Mike.

A Wigwam + Derby -2 handicap double sounds even more excellent!

Then combine that with Bolton v Man Utd and with similair goal handicap and I can retire!

edit Arsenal have played Derby!

Mike.

Yeah but bear with me; Next round of Prem matches sees Arse v Wigwam, ManYoo v Bolton and Derby v Chelski... A -2 handicap treble is a serious punt there imo.

Even to go for the 3 wins with no handicaps it pays almost evens. Thats like free money! I'm definitely doing it.

Right back to Arsenal; Will Eduardo amount to anything or does he need more time? And we obviously need a CB in Jan to come in for when AN cup is on so who will it be? Personally I think Djourou back from Brum wouldn't be a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The game is live on Setanta Sports 1, and then shown again at 10.30 on Setanta Ireland. Boooo

Djorou back from Brum is a no brainer. Shouldn't have gone in the first place. Another cb wouldn't be a bad idea either though. Eduardo will most likely be better than he's currently showing but I suppose we've no idea if he'll ever be worth his place in the team.

Cheers cson I had'nt spotted the Derby/Chelsea tie. Too good to miss that treble

Mike.

4-5-1 again, ffs!

• Advertisement

The Sky commentary on the match is hilarious;
    1 - Great start for Reading Arsenal won 4-0 at the Madejski Stadium last season and it took just 58 seconds to open the scoring, so Reading are already doing better. Perhaps Steve Coppell is right to get angry every time he hears the words 'second season syndrome'.

15 - A chilly night Most of the Arsenal players are wearing gloves and Almunia, who surely would have been wearing gloves anyway, is doing his best Thierry Henry impression by pulling his socks up above his knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How that ended 3-1 is a mystery. Reading may aswell have gone home. Adebayor had a perfectly good goal disallowed. Great result though even if the opposition were ****.

Reading are brutal alright; it is going to be a hard season for them.

Good result considering the side barely even got out of 2nd gear; Cesc got booked (on purpose?) so he's out of the Wigan game. Hleb's footwork is magic.

http://www.glory-glory.co.uk/forums/thread/240912.aspx

Wouldn't mind Taarabt, another young winger would be handy to have. Mind you Vela will be here soon and he can play left-wing, while Merida, Barazite, Lansbury and Randall are all getting closer to the first team and are all capable of playing wide.

Is Vela coming back in Jan? I dunno if he'll be able for the EPL, its a big transisition from la liga in terms of pace and physicality.

Who knows. January or in the summer, soon enough. It may take him a while to settle but it isn't like he'll be walking straight into the team anyway. He's a big talent though, and he got kicked to bits in the Spanish second division last season and still came up trumps. He's matured a lot physically since then too, so I don't think he'll have a problem with it.

A quick wiki reference says he's out on loan until the end of the season apparently. Djourou is back in Jan which may solve the AN cup problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

any idea when Van Persie might be back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I believe i read somewhere that he'll be back by the Wigan game, heres a link that says something along those lines. Good timing for it too as I feel we may need his moments of magic to unlock teams if they continue parking the bus

cson wrote: »
    Is Vela coming back in Jan? I dunno if he'll be able for the EPL, its a big transisition from la liga in terms of pace and physicality.

It's possible he could make the transition easily. I was suprised at how comfortable Torres looks for someone with such a small frame.

Very tame match last night. As it's been said already - we never had to leave 2nd gear. Thought there was a lot of indecision around the edges of the box were no one wanted to shoot which reminds me of our frustrating lack of goals last season. Hopefully it's a once off.

Van Persie due back after the international break according to Arsenal.com.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement