Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,072 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

to save people people reading the whole thing, i assume you're talking about this at the end?
    it was reported that the English side Arsenal won the right of first refusal on Luka Modrić's future transfer.[1]

Unofficial reports subsequently emerged late on July 31 suggesting that Arsenal would take up this option immediately, having failed to lure their unknown primary target for the left wing. They purportedly will pay £8 million for the player. On 6th of August 2007 it was reported that Bayern Munich had agreed to a transfer of 30 million euros for the diminutive Dinamo Zagreb captain. Modrić rejected the chance to join Bayern claiming that he wanted to stay at Zagreb. He now looks certain to sign for Arsenal in the January transfer window after Dinamo admitted that Arsenal have first option on the player.

The citation is listed as tribalfootball;
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=48533
    so should only be taken with a pinch of salt. They print up anything and everything they hear anywhere, regardless of validity. In this instance, they've taken it from the daily telegraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Himself and Eduardo played well together. We were linked in the summer but nothing came of it. Wenger said last night, that he's looking to fill a certain position(did'nt specify), and if the deal he's looking for comes up in jan, he'll go for it. Could be him?

http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=news&article=484160&cpid=703&title=Wenger+-+My+transfer+targets+for+January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wiki wrote:
    His natural position is central midfield

No! Not another one! We already have Fabregas, Bert, Flamini, Denilson and Diaby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

if it's true, then it might be a way for arsene to really get the most out of eduardo (assuming they've developed a good understanding)... talk of a "primary target for left wing" would surprise me , though - wenger's theory is that it takes 6-12 months for ANY player to settle before you see anything close to the best of him so rosicky's time should only really be beginning now

is vela not mainly a striker? don't know much about him but i always thought that's where he played...

also, i'd be surprised if wenger's plans leaked out in advance - they rarely do

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The Modric link is nothing new. See here: http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31795

He can play anywhere across the midfield. Think Rosicky only younger and fitter. He'd be a quality signing, but wouldn't be cheap. I certainly think we are lacking in the wide midfield positions.

firstly, on modric, why the f*ck we want another midfielder i honestly don't know.

secondly and this is off topic but i was enquiring as to whether anyone would know what is the most convenient airport in london for the emirates stadium. Would luton be the best option? if it is then im on the pigsback as AerArann does waterford to luton. Im hoping to go to a game next month. tickets hard to get id say!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The thing about airports is that even if its cheap to get to them, the prices to get from the airport to the city is a lot.

If you fly to Heathrow you can get the tube all the way to the stadium for only a 10 euro day pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

If you're a member or know somebody who is a member, then you shouldn't have problems getting tickets to most matches. If not you can just go to the Arsenal site and buy yourself a membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

firstly, on modric, why the f*ck we want another midfielder i honestly don't know.

Toure and Henry were midfielders when we got them!!

I agree with Pepe, CM is locked down at the moment but in the wide positions we have:

-Walcott who may or may not be at the level at the end of the year
    -Rosicky who is injured quite a bit and still has to show his best at Arsenal
    -Helb who's not so great wide and much better central or as a second striker
    -Eboue who just doesn't offer enough going forward.

We need wide players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hmm, I do like Rosicky but £10million + Adriano on loan might be tempting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

In other news David Beckham will be training with us over the Winter period as it is the MLS Off-Season and he wants to maintain his fitness.
    I'm quite pleased with this - having someone with his experience around London Colney will do our younger players the power of good. Certainly won't do em any harm anyway.

Wenger bites back.
    The Prof wrote:
    I was surprised that Alex Ferguson said the game was played in a bad spirit and a bad atmosphere. I didn’t have that feeling, I didn’t sit on their bench. But, I can tell you, I could get some dossier together from Manchester United when I was there.

The dossier of abuse thing really annoyed me, glad to see wenger bite back.

Diabys saying he might review his position come january. Could'nt blame him, really feel sorry for him and Diarra, the flamster playing out of his skin was the last thing they expected this season.

Diaby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I'm quite pleased with this - having someone with his experience around London Colney will do our younger players the power of good. Certainly won't do em any harm anyway.

Just rumours so far I thought, but I cant see it being beneficial to your players. It'll only attract the media orgy that followsh im everywhere, and as for passing on his experience, Im sure the language barrier might be a problem there...

Archimedes wrote: »
    Just rumours so far I thought, but I cant see it being beneficial to your players. It'll only attract the media orgy that followsh im everywhere, and as for passing on his experience, Im sure the language barrier might be a problem there...
    Aye, Becks' English isn't too good.

Whoever said Adriano on loan - noooo! I've had enough of big burly Brazillians who can't control the ball.

I'd like a genuinely right-sided midfield player, so Hleb and Rosicky can rotate on the left.

Adriano 2 years ago, yes!!! now after how he's done and what i've heard about him no f'in way. Altho if anyway can get him to get the finger out, wenger can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Slightly off topic, has anyone gotten their membership packs from Arsenal yet? No sign of mine yet!

I'd like a genuinely right-sided midfield player, so Hleb and Rosicky can rotate on the left.

That sounds a bit muddled to me - both the Belarussian and the Czech are right-footed. Are you sure you don't mean that you'd like a genuinely left-sided midfield player?

Since Edu and then Reyes left Arsenal our midfield, and even our back-up players, are without exception right-footed. Cesc, Flamster, Abou, Hleb, Tomas, Eboue, Diarra, Song (shudder)... All right-footers.

Granted it doesn't seem to be hindering our play in the slightest, but ya always like to see that option. Eduardo has noticeably been deployed on the left-wing once or twice so maybe Wenger's thinking the same (although I could be wrong, of course)

Ronaldinho is right footed but almost certainly a left winger. It's because his play is all about cutting inside. Hleb and Rosicky I think are similar players

Yep, Hleb is much better on the left than he is on the right. Lots of players are like that - Pires was another. Walcott is best as a striker, but he also looks better to me as a left mid than a right mid.

I'm not sure there's much difference to Rosicky which side he plays on at the moment though. He's never stayed fit enough since joining Arsenal to get a 'feel' for playing wide in midfield, and he rarely looks like he knows what he's doing there. Either way, he's rarely able to string a run of games together to find form, so I'd like another player wide player capable of holding down a starting slot.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldinho is right footed but almost certainly a left winger. It's because his play is all about cutting inside. Hleb and Rosicky I think are similar players
    Fair point, I stand corrected.

We actually want the same thing, then. A left-footed midfield player who favours playing on the right in order to cut-inside.

Having such players on both sides of a midfield does necessarily congest the centre of midfield (cos everybody seems to want to come inside rather than beat the full-back on the outside) and doesn't really stretch the opposition. There are times when playing through the middle won't be an option e.g. Man United at the Emirates - both our goals came from wide players crossing from beyond the fullback, Sagna for the first, Clichy for the second

Wengerball has always been like that though really, the full-backs provide the width. Sagna and Clichy have superb engines and pace and are perfectly suited to that system.

Wengerball has always been like that though really, the full-backs provide the width. Sagna and Clichy have superb engines and pace and are perfectly suited to that system.
    True that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

So anyone did ya get your memberpacks ??

Yeah I got mine. Still haven't got my card yet though. Second year in a row they've f*cked that up on me. Keep forgetting to call them about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah I got mine. Still haven't got my card yet though. Second year in a row they've f*cked that up on me. Keep forgetting to call them about it

Pretty sure that you can use your existing card from last year

Got my membership pack ok will be gathering dust with all the others soon

yeah got my own but its my first year so ill now know not to expect a new one next yr unless i upgrade to silver.

http://www.thetimes.co.za/News/Article.aspx?id=613009

South African article that says a bit about Tresor Mputu, who is on trial at Arsenal at the moment.

I'm hearing that Hleb, Flamini and Diaby all picked up injuries. ****ing internationals.

• Advertisement

Well we've enough Central midfielders to cover the Flamster and Diaby, might finally get to see diarra, Hlebs a huge blow, he's been immense so far. On the good news front Van persie did a full training sesssion yesterday and could figure on saturdays game.

The team could struggle for goals this weekend without Fabregas, Hleb and possibly Van Persie. Gotta hope somebody else can do the business this time.

No offense to wigan but thank god its them we're facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

That Modric fella looks pure class, I can see yous lot getting him next summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

could be another chance for theo to do the business up front... I'd like to see Van Persie held back as a sub (at most) - he's just too important to rush back. plus we've got a shedload of matches coming up in the next two and a half weeks to think about

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Struggling on the injury front this weekend. Hleb, Diaby, Flamini, RVP. And without Cesc and Gilberto we're gonna be very light. Hleb out for at least 3 weeks apparently. Modric did look very good, sign him up AW!

• Advertisement

Hleb's injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

Arsenal are very badly priced at 1/7 for the match. It's gonna be closer than that.

Sat's game is gona be huge for Arsenal, if they can come through this it'll be a big statement to the league about their depth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Wigan are 16/1 I think on Paddy Power..... could be worth a punt :D .... if they weren't so sh*te, that is! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Sat's game is gona be huge for Arsenal, if they can come through this it'll be a big statement to the league about their depth

Come on it's Wigan.. the only 2 games they won this season were at the beginning and against middlesbrough & sunderland :-/ (Who are 4th & 5th last at the mo) They lost their last 7 premiership games in a row.

Look at the players Arsenal WILL have though. rosicksy, toure, eduardo, denilson, gallas, etc. playing against an out of form club with no manager. I dunno but I think at the very WORST it'll be a draw and even that would shock me. Arsenal 3-0 is my prediction.

• Advertisement

Banana skin ties are all over the place. I still expect Arsenal to win, but I do think it's a very big game for them. This is a chance for the squad to show how strong they are.

<snip>...playing against an out of form club with no manager.

What about Stevie Bruce? Beware of new manager syndrome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Thought there was aproblem with Bruce joining Wigan. It has been delayed a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Arsene Wenger can't spell the word crisis without opportunity.
    Eduardo was immense for Croatia against England. The likes of him Walcott, Bendtner (fine form for Denmark during the week) and Diarra will be greatful to get some first team Premiership experience against Wigan. I expect a win.

edit: Yeah I know, Football Manager phrase at the end there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Not an easy match IMO.

Hopefully we'll do well but if a makeshift team can put Wigan to the sword, it'll speak volumes our intentions for the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Thank christ for all those central midfielders now eh?
    A midfield of: Rosicky-Diarra-Denilson-Eboue/Walcott with Ade and Eduardo up front should surely be able to do enough against wigan at home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Wigan are a woeful outfit, especially away from home. Arsenal, on the other hand, are not a woeful outfit and are excellent at home. Thgey have way too much quality for them...although, honeymoon periods and Bruce and all that...we've seen it before, hopefully the internaitonal break will have tired out Arsenal's side!

Never one for hyperbole Dave!

All games are tests and this one looks to be a touch trickier than some of the earlier games this season due to the absense of key attacking players, but there are still much sterner tests to come.

Away games vs Villa, Newcastle and Boro, all in the space of 10 days and no Hleb? Those games concern me much more tbh. Rosicky needs to find form starting today.

Bert making loud noises about moving to Juve.

Diarra played well again today and I really don't see any future for Gilberto. I'll be sad to see him go as he is a quality player and a great guy but there isn't a place for him anymore.

Cracking result with Man United losing. The boys didn't play well but stuck at it and managed to grind out the result. Cesc will be back in the next game; good thing as I felt the side looked very ordinary without him and Hleb.

Very good contribution from Bendtner by the way.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement