Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Transfer Rumours And General Chat

Comments

I can honestly say lads that Philippe Senderos performance tonight was undoubtedly the WORST!! i have ever seen from an Arsenal CB ever - including the infamous 6-1 nightmare back in 01. He made Derby defenders look world class, in fact i would go as far to say, he's not fit to lace even Cygan, yes Cygan's boots. He stood beside kanoute/Fabiano on numerous occasions crouching like he's about to go into a scrum. He didn't even go up for alot of balls. He cant head for s**t and fluffs the majority of what he tries to kick. A waste of AW's effort who needs to be thrown in the dust bin right now. Djourou in my opinion is far better. My dad said Song wasn't too bad the last night when tried there. At least he could jump up and head a f*cking ball. i cant help feeling this big donkey could f*ck up our whole season. he played a huge part in the Sunderland revival at the emirates last month.

end of rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Wenger won't get rid of him. We could be looking at Barca, Inter, AC... a very tough second round match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wouldn't mind drawing Barca though. Could teach Thierry Henry a thing or two about football ala Juventus and Vieira 2 years ago. Seeing Henry knock us out of the competition would be too much to take though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

No players should have been rested until the group was won. I said at the start of the season we needed a new centre half, and that was before Djourou was loaned out. Why is Wenger putting Dudu on the left also?? Didnt he see how effective he was against England through the middle last week? We'll have to see how it effects them mentally on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

First off I am a utd fan and this is not a attempt at trolling.
    After last night game, And the issue of resting players and taking a risk in the draw for the next round and maybe the champions league itself. As Arsenal fans which would ye think/or take at the end of the season The League or The Champions League.
    I know someone will say both and yes ye are playing the type of football that could succeed in both but for agreements sake you have only one choice.

I am asking because if it was utd, I would take the league every time

It's a tough one, if Arsenal had won the Champions League before then I'd definitely say the league as imo the best team always wins the league, same can't be said of the Champions League. But seeing as Runners up is the best they've ever done I'd probably take the Champions League, just to get that out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

cson wrote: »
    Senderos has been ****e for some time now. Ever since Drogba made bits of him, he hasn't been the same
    I don't really agree with this. For me, Senderos was in the form of his life when he first came into contention for the first team and played his part in a seriously impressive defensive run in the Champions League.

In the Community Shield against Drogba, he came up against a powerful player at the top of his form and, as we all know, had a bad bad day. But in reality, he's somewhere in between and last season he settled at somewhere around his natural level - a fairly average squad player (by Top 4 standards), with better or worse performances (and this inconsistency is the really dangerous part) depending on who's playing around and against him.

Senderos is useful to have around against slowish players relying on above-average (but not phenomenal) strength but useless against nippy players with intelligent movement. So it's just a question of using him as wisely as choice allows us to.

As for Djourou, Wenger's always used loan deals to give players the kind of action that he wants to judge them on but can't give them at Arsenal. I think Wenger wanted him REALLY ready for when Toure buggers off to the ANC so he got him a loan deal where he'd get 4 months of competitive Premier League action - not a bad policy at all for my money. He's done well for Brum so I think Wenger's prepared to bring him back for a first choice of Gallas-Djourou, with Senderos/Gilberto as (admittedly less attractive) back-up options - plus in case of emergency, Sagna can play CB too.

It's a tough one, if Arsenal had won the Champions League before then I'd definitely say the league as imo the best team always wins the league, same can't be said of the Champions League. But seeing as Runners up is the best they've ever done I'd probably take the Champions League, just to get that out of the way.
    I almost agree with you but after 3 years of no league, I think I'm just leaning towards the league...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Champions League without even thinking about it.

As for big phil, he was good made the odd mistake then Drogba raped him 2 years ago in the charity shield and stanford bride and he was never the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    I almost agree with you but after 3 years of no league, I think I'm just leaning towards the league...

Ditto. League without a doubt. The Champions League can wait, back to domestic winning ways first please Arsenal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Only saw the goals from last night. Senderos should be sold. Too many mistakes now. Poor decision from the linesman to award the second free kick. Definite penalty though which came from diabolical defending. Eduardo scored a great goal however, fantastic cross by Bendtner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I've a feeeling people might be overdoing it a bit. Was last night really that bad?

IMO it would have been a really really difficult game to win with our entire first team out there.

It's also a tough game to come into when you haven't been playing for a while - see Senderos, Berto, Traore and Hoyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's a good sign to expect to win away in Sevilla with a second team.

It wasn't the fact that they lost, just that they played so so badly. Hardly created anything, were all over the place at the back, and gave the ball away every time they got it. I wasn't expecting a victory, or even a draw, just a more promising performance than the one we saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    After last night game, And the issue of resting players and taking a risk in the draw for the next round and maybe the champions league itself. As Arsenal fans which would ye think/or take at the end of the season The League or The Champions League.
    I know someone will say both and yes ye are playing the type of football that could succeed in both but for agreements sake you have only one choice.

Easy one imo, Premiership everytime, a true reflection on teams year imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Definately the league but, ask me in 3 years time when we've won the league 3 times in a row and I might reconsider :D

So if Fabregas is sidelined for the next few days who's your choice to replace him?

IMO a central midfield of Bert and Flamini doesn't offer enough going forward.

Denilson, Diaby?

Can't Rosicky play that position? Although that would require Eboue and Diaby to be our wide midfielders which might not be the best.

Argh, such a **** time for injuries!!!!!!!

Clichy, Hleb, Van Persie and now Fabregas.

Assuming they're all out against Villa I would honestly go for.

Sagna - Toure - Gallas - Flamini
    Eboue - Gilberto - Denilson - Rosicky
    Eduardo/Bendtner - Ade

You may have questions about Flamini there and I know he wouldn't be too happy about it given how welll he's played this year but I just don't like the idea of Traore there for the Villa match.

Everyone's shouting about Man City this year but Villa are on fire and are a serious threat.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Clichy is fine and will start against Villa.

The rags are saying Cesc is out for the next 3 games but the man himself is quoted in the Times saying he feels fine and will probably play.

Unrelated, Wenger has confirmed that Vela will come to Arsenal next summer.

If there was any doubt about how tough Saturday could be, Villa went to Ewood, kept a clean sheet and scored 4. They're looking seriously organised at the back (a centre-half they paid 9m for can't get into their team) & have much more of a threat going forward than they would have had 3 years ago.

Love to win obviously but I don't think a draw (and 3 points against Newcastle) would be a bad result

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Wathched the game. We controlled the game at start. Then started giving ball away, and mistakes. Gilberto, poorest game i ever saw from him. Senderos a liablity, even Denilson was giving the ball away. Fabregas was carrying knock and never really controlled the game. Eboue worked hard, and should have had a penalty. I think if he didnt fall around the place so much, he would have gotten it. Rosicky did nothing when he came on.
    U see, same with United, they were beaten off the park the last day as well, until they brought on giggs and tevez. Arsene should have played the usual back 4. Playing together at the back, continously adds conssistency and boosts confidence. Remember Senderos threw himself at a ball as well, the ref gave a penalty but linesman overruled. hes just not the player they think he is. Djouru will be back in January I suspect with Toure on Nations duty. How is Djouru playing for Bermingham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

a centre-half they paid 9m for

Is that Curtis Davies? I thought he was on loan?
    tred wrote: »
    Djouru will be back in January I suspect with Toure on Nations duty. How is Djouru playing for Bermingham?

Djorou has done ok at Birmingham. Missed 3 of their league so far with knocks and they're struggling to keep clean sheets - 2 so far this sesaon in back to back games aginst Liverpool and Bolton.
    I think he's played a couple of games in central midfield too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

According to Arsenal.com, only 1 in central-midfield actually. Which is kinda bizarre, given that a) it's Djourou's own favoured position and b) Bruce promised that he would play him there over the loan period. But meh, I prefer him playing in centre-back cos we've less options there than in midfield.

Btw, I have to say that people are being extremely harsh on Senderos. Everyone is allowed a bad game once in a while, and I've seen him have some absolutely blinding performances. Plus he's still only 22 ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

**** is Fabregas injured for the villa game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

playa3 wrote: »
    **** is Fabregas injured for the villa game?

don't think there's been any official word. some of the papers reported he'd miss the next 3 games but it's just speculation so far.

Nunu wrote: »
    Is that Curtis Davies? I thought he was on loan?
    Good point actually - the 9 mil would only be due next summer. Still though at the moment they don't even need a player they chased very very hard and I think without Hleb and Fabregas we could find it very tough to break them down.

I really really hope Fabregas plays but I'd rather he skipped if there's any risk - don't want him aggravating anything and missing a month around Christmas

• Advertisement

I really really hope Fabregas plays but I'd rather he skipped if there's any risk - don't want him aggravating anything and missing a month around Christmas

Yeah I really really don't want him to miss the Chelsea game. Some of the press are reporting he might be out for 10 days, which would see him miss our 3 away trips to Villa, St James' Park and Teeside, but would be back for Chel. That wouldn't be such a bad thing if it means he hits the Blues fresh and well-rested, I reckon.

3 points Versus Villa/Newky/Boro is still counts the same as 3 points Versus Chelsea...

Seems I was wrong about Clichy, he is a doubt for Saturday. Wenger says Fabregas and Hleb are also doubts (although that is encouraging about Hleb as he was reported to be out for at least 3 weeks) while van Persie is definately still out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I laughed when i read this earlier
    Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor has suggested that the Gunners might be tempted to sell him if Real Madrid came in with a £100m offer. (The Independent)

I saw it in the Gossip column of BBC website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Boo urns. I wouldnt mind missing Fabregas so much if Hleb wasnt out too, and Rosicky could get injured at any minute so we cant even rely on him too much. And van persie too:mad: Completely screwed up my fantasy football plans!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

playa3 wrote: »
    Boo urns. I wouldnt mind missing Fabregas so much if Hleb wasnt out too, and Rosicky could get injured at any minute so we cant even rely on him too much. And van persie too:mad: Completely screwed up my fantasy football plans!

I have Clichy, Fabregas and Van persie:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Noelie wrote: »
    I laughed when i read this earlier

Arsenal striker Emmanuel Adebayor has suggested that the Gunners might be tempted to sell him if Real Madrid came in with a £100m offer. (The Independent)

Who is the 'him' referring to? Fabregas? :confused:

PDN wrote: »
    Who is the 'him' referring to? Fabregas? :confused:
    Adebayor's secret alter-ego, Emmanuel Weah'o-Okochaor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just to let you guys know that Villa have won 4 league games in a row which is the first time in a good few years, I really doubt that we will 5. Also in relation to our defence Zat Knight is keeping Davies out of the team because Davies was injured for a month when he arrived and then he got his chance in the League Cup and had a mare of a game but I think Knight is our weak link when up against a good attacking team (like Arsenal) as was shown by his errors against United, although on the other hand Laursen has been our best player and he kept Drogba in his pocket when we bet Chelsea.

I'd take a draw against Arsenal now but I have a bad feeling that we will lose, oh and Gabby is doubtful for the game. Best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

irish1 wrote: »
    I'd take a draw against Arsenal now but I have a bad feeling that we will lose, oh and Gabby is doubtful for the game. Best of luck

Of course you would :rolleyes:

Thing is, you'll prolly get it too :mad:

irish1 wrote: »
    Just to let you guys know that Villa have won 4 league games in a row which is the first time in a good few years, I really doubt that we will 5. Also in relation to our defence Zat Knight is keeping Davies out of the team because Davies was injured for a month when he arrived and then he got his chance in the League Cup and had a mare of a game but I think Knight is our weak link when up against a good attacking team (like Arsenal) as was shown by his errors against United, although on the other hand Laursen has been our best player and he kept Drogba in his pocket when we bet Chelsea.

I think you underestimate your own side. Your lot be up for this one, full of confidence after those 4 straight victories, and the Villa Park faithful will be right behind their team... Frankly I think it could go either way, and like you I'd take a draw.

As for Zat Knight... Your criticism of him echoes the thoughts of a Villan friend of mine, but I disagree. He was outstanding on the opening day for Fulham against Arsenal, really should've gotten man-of-the-match and was desperately unlucky to end up on the losing side. I've always rated Zat quite highly tbh, he seems to be a pretty commanding centre-back altho probably lacks a bit in terms of pace.

Villa host Arsenal at a pretty good time - Our lot are definitely missing Fabregas, Hleb and Van Persie (arguably our most creative players) and might be without Clichy and Gallas (arguably our most irreplaceable defenders - King Kolo notwithstanding).

Should be a great game though. Best of luck Villa, hope you get 5th this season... But give us the 3 points on saturday! :D

Hleb and Clichy passed fit, hurrah!

Almunia, Clichy, Toure, Gallas, Sagna, Rosicky, Flamini, Diarra, Eboue, Hleb, Adebayor.

15 to go, please please hold out.

Hleb and Rosicky off now. Keeping what we have.

Hleb was awsome, really stunning (39 out of 40 passes completed.) but went off injured, hopefully not too serious.

Massive massive win.

Ever notice how Flamini socres really important goals?

Lucky to get something out of it at the end to be honest. Villa were 66% for a lot of the second half after hleb went off. Hit the post during that spell as well.

Almunia was really solid, there is no way back for Lehmann.

Can't understate how good Villa were though, especially carew.

Brilliant stuff, 6 points clear.

Didn't see the game so can't comment but...

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO

That's a big game out of the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well done you outplayed us in the first half and defended well in the second.

Up the Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Tight match, second match was absolutely dire, but a big result for Arsenal today, especially after the Hleb injury.

PHB wrote: »
    Tight match, second match was absolutely dire, but a big result for Arsenal today, especially after the Hleb injury.

I can see this becoming a common theme from you PHB, we'll have beaten Derby 5-0 and then "big result for Arsenal today, shows whether they have depth in the squad" :p

In all and anyways though, a big result. Hopefully Hleb is ok and hopefully the rest of them can manage to haul themselves off the treatment table and we could be in good shape going into the xmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Thank god, O'Neill is always up for it when it comes to us. Good to see plan b in effect, i was worried about how we'd do without fabs.

BTW what did the flamsters shirt say?

speaking of managers up for it against us, Newc and Sam Walrus next.

His shirt said "Katita"... No idea who/what/where that refers to, but possibly might be a love-interest or similar person he holds affection for. He was absolutely brilliant last night, took his goal really well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

His shirt said "Katita"... No idea who/what/where that refers to, but possibly might be a love-interest or similar person he holds affection for. He was absolutely brilliant last night, took his goal really well.

To think he nearly left in the Summer. He's been brilliant this season.

PDN wrote: »
    To think he nearly left in the Summer. He's been brilliant this season.
    Yeah, absolutely fantastic. As arseblogger has repeatedly said, "Give him a new contract please!":D
    Seriously though, I think his contract runs out in the summer so we should definitely get him to put pen to paper again. Don't think he signed a new one since he joined in 2004 on a "long-term contract".

I <3 the Flamster

Hleb and Fabregas out for Newcastle.

I can't see them really troubling our defence too much but they're under a lot of pressure at the moment. Here's hoping they'll just have given up on big Sam instead of rallying behind him.

Here's also hoping that Given doesn't have one of his usual inspired wonder-games against us.

Each step the team takes now is massive in terms of our premiership chances.

People have been expecting us to drop points for some time and now they're just beginning to expect us not to.

6 points against Newcastle and Boro is readily achievable but would be emmense in terms of the campaign.

Then we have the Man U/Liverpool and Chelsea/Arsenal Sunday. Despite racking up a load of points, I personally don't think Chelsea are looking that great and without Essien, their Lampard/Mikel midfield will be a weak point.

That said, they're still Chelsea.

poor hleb - he's been getting kicked more than anyone in recent memory this season... he's just too damn quick. great first half from him the other day - i almost cried with relief when i walked into the pub a few mins late and saw him playing. i think it could have been a real struggle the other night if he hadn't been there.

flamini pops up with a goal when needed again - chelsea & liverpool (to make it 1-0) last season and then this. great hit too. sagna's proving to be a great neville-esque crosser of the ball too (and yes, that's a compliment :)).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well all I can say is that is the first November in a while where as a Gooner I have not been totally depressed after it :)

Here's hoping the 2nd team dispatch Newcastle :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement